[net.lang] More on copyright

oyster@uwmacc.UUCP (Vicious Oyster) (03/05/86)

In article <1411@brl-smoke.ARPA> wmartin@almsa-1.arpa (Will Martin -- AMXAL-RI) writes:
>First off, thanks to Jordan & Lisa Breslow for that long and informative
>(and well-written) article on Copyright Law that came out about 10 days
>back.

   Same here.

   Now for my question:  what exactly is copyrightable?  Is a language
definition (e.g. C)?  If so, would the copyright have to *specifically*
include said definition?  In other words, if I invented a language called,
say, Tortuga, and copyrighted and sold a compiler, could somebody else
write their own version of Tortuga, without fear of legal action?  Would
they have to call it something else, or could they in fact call it Tortuga,
assuming I haven't trademarked the name?  Even given all the preceeding
protective measures, would it be allowable to call what is essentially
a Tortuga compiler something else, but claim (and advertise) 100% compatibility
with Tortuga source?  And going even further (Apple vs DRI {GEM} & Atari vs
Whomever {Pac-man} notwithstanding), can *any* copyrighted program be rebuilt
from the ground up by a second party, preserving functionality, and be a
legally viable product?  (Or is this where patents come into the picture?)
   Any discussion on this subject would be appreciated, even if you actually
know what you're talking about (:-).

 - Joel Plutchak
   {allegra,ihnp4,seismo}!uwvax!uwmacc!oyster