[net.lang] bugs in assembler vs. C

colonel@ellie.UUCP (Col. G. L. Sicherman) (02/26/86)

> On point B:, studies have shown that the number of errors or changes is
> exponentially related to the number of lines of code.  One study indicates
> that the average is one error per 1000 lines.

You don't mean "exponentially," do you?  (Though it applies to _some_
programmers I know....)
--
Col. G. L. Sicherman
UU: ...{rocksvax|decvax}!sunybcs!colonel

jdz@wucec2.UUCP (03/04/86)

In article <832@ellie.UUCP> colonel@ellie.UUCP writes:
>> On point B:, studies have shown that the number of errors or changes is
>> exponentially related to the number of lines of code.  One study indicates
>> that the average is one error per 1000 lines.
>You don't mean "exponentially," do you?  (Though it applies to _some_
>programmers I know....)

Uh, yes, He did mean exponentially. Really. I don't recall the exact study which
made this claim, but I do recall that it was exponential in some constant
fraction of the number of lines. The expression was reasonable for up to about
200 lines, then quickly exploded. This is just a memory, though, so please
don't yell at me. If you do run across the paper or real numbers, please feel
free to post them.
--
Jason D. Zions			...!{seismo,cbosgd,ihnp4}!wucs!wucec2!jdz
Box 1045 Washington University

colonel@ellie.UUCP (03/06/86)

In article <832@ellie.UUCP>, colonel@ellie.UUCP (Col. G. L. Sicherman) writes:
> > On point B:, studies have shown that the number of errors or changes is
> > exponentially related to the number of lines of code.  One study indicates
> > that the average is one error per 1000 lines.
>
> You don't mean "exponentially," do you?  (Though it applies to _some_
> programmers I know....)
> -- Col. G. L. Sicherman

What do you know about it?  Considering the amount of implosive inter-
connectedness of a large program, the bug rate probably _is_ exponential.
--

steven@boring.uucp (Steven Pemberton) (03/12/86)

In article <1437@wucec2.UUCP> jdz@wucec2.UUCP (Jason D. Zions) writes:
> >> On point B:, studies have shown that the number of errors or changes is
> >> exponentially related to the number of lines of code.  One study indicates
> >> that the average is one error per 1000 lines.
> >You don't mean "exponentially," do you?  (Though it applies to _some_
> >programmers I know....)
>
> Uh, yes, He did mean exponentially. Really. I don't recall the exact study which
> made this claim, but I do recall that it was exponential in some constant
> fraction of the number of lines.
You can find some details in 'The Mythical Man Month' by FP Brookes, Addison
Wesley, 1975. He quotes several large scale projects, and says that the
exponent is 1.5 of the number of lines of code, regardless of language. It's
a great book, and worth reading for his advice on running large-scale
software projects.
Steven Pemberton, CWi, Amsterdam.

kludge@gitpyr.UUCP (03/15/86)

In article <6824@boring.UUCP> steven@mcvax.UUCP (Steven Pemberton) writes:
>You can find some details in 'The Mythical Man Month' by FP Brookes, Addison
>Wesley, 1975. He quotes several large scale projects, and says that the
>exponent is 1.5 of the number of lines of code, regardless of language. It's
>a great book, and worth reading for his advice on running large-scale
>software projects.

   Assuming that this is true, then the more dense a language is, the fewer
the number of lines needed, and the fewer the bugs.  Comparing C and assembly
this seems true, but the number of bugs in an APL program compared with the
number of lines makes me think that this doesn't always hold true.  It sounds
like a nice generalization, but it does not take into account many things
about language density.
-------
Disclaimer: Everything I say is probably a trademark of someone.  But
            don't worry, I probably don't know what I'm talking about.

Scott Dorsey
Kaptain_kludge
ICS Programming Lab (Where old terminals go to die), Rich 110,
Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta, Georgia 30332
...!{akgua,allegra,amd,hplabs,ihnp4,seismo,ut-ngp}!gatech!gitpyr!kludge

USnail:  Box 36681, Atlanta GA. 30332
--
-------