[net.lang] Design Process

sam@delftcc.UUCP (Sam Kendall) (05/28/86)

In article <908@brl-smoke.ARPA>, rbj%icst-cmr@smoke.UUCP (Jim Cottrell) writes:
> It has also been said that programs should be written twice:
> once to find out what the specs are, then that program should be thrown
> away and the job done right.

Yeah, Donald Knuth said (in _The Art of Computer Programming_, I think)
that the best programs he ever saw were written twice, with the source
being accidentally lost in between.  I don't know if he was the first to
say this, but he said it quite a while ago.

A peripherally related story: a (former) prof of mine (Ugo Gagliardi
of GSG, Inc. and Harvard University) said that he saw a PBX software
system that had been designed with incredible elegance.  When he asked
the designers how the went about it, they said, "Well, the hardware
wasn't available for several months, so all we could do was sit around
and think about the design."

I've moved this discussion, small as it is, to net.lang, since it is
unrelated to C.

----
Sam Kendall			{ ihnp4 | seismo!cmcl2 }!delftcc!sam
Delft Consulting Corp.		ARPA: delftcc!sam@NYU.ARPA