[net.lang] Indentation instead of braces

kwh@bentley.UUCP (KW Heuer) (05/22/86)

In article <2783@utcsri.UUCP> utcsri!greg writes:
>What about the following sort of thing, though ? ( this is
>how I would write it in normal C ):
>	...	if( vogsphere == fuddle && !blasted ){
>			while( sixteenvalvedualoverheadcam( bleen ) == '?')
>				infriddle( batman.utility_belt );
>			if( total_confusion_estimated > MAX_CONFUSION )
>				printf(
>"Well I think you ought to know that I am getting really confused by %s\n",
>					reason_for_confusion[WOMBAT]
>				);
>			return SAY_WHAT;
>		}else post_to_net_lang_c( silly_stuff_like_this );

No problem.  Remove the braces, leave the indentation alone, and tack a
backslash onto the first three lines of the printf statement.

Earlier I wondered aloud about the proper interpretation of "if (c) x; y;"
(without newlines).  It seems to me that both x and y would be within the
scope of the conditional (ditto for "\tif(c) x;\n\t\ty;\n").  Is this how
it's done in existing languages with significant indentation (OCCAM)?  Or
is that syntax illegal, requiring a newline (my guess)?

This feature is not likely to be incorporated into C in the foreseeable
future, So I am directing followups to net.lang only.

Karl W. Z. Heuer (ihnp4!bentley!kwh), The Walking Lint

sam@delftcc.UUCP (Sam Kendall) (05/30/86)

kwh@bentley.UUCP writes:
> utcsri!greg writes:
> >What about the following sort of thing, though ? ( this is
> >how I would write it in normal C ):
> >			/* [example abridged by sam@delftcc.UUCP] */
> >			if( total_confusion_estimated > MAX_CONFUSION )
> >				printf(
> >"Well I think you ought to know that I am getting really confused by %s\n",
> >					reason_for_confusion[WOMBAT]
> >				);
>
> No problem.  Remove the braces, leave the indentation alone, and tack a
> backslash onto the first three lines of the printf statement.

You don't need the backslashes.  Indentation should be significant
only before a statement, or something like that.  So indentation in
the middle of an expression, such as in the printf above, is ignored.

----
Sam Kendall			{ ihnp4 | seismo!cmcl2 }!delftcc!sam
Delft Consulting Corp.		ARPA: delftcc!sam@NYU.ARPA