[net.invest] Failing Banks

rdz@ccice5.UUCP (Robert D. Zarcone) (02/06/85)

I understand there are 700+ banks on the Fed's "endangered species"
list.  Does anyone know where this list can be obtained?  Are any
of the "Big Boys" like Chase, Manny Hanny, BOA, etc. on the list?
Any and all information on this is greatly appreciated.

pleasant@topaz.ARPA (Mel Pleasant) (02/06/85)

> From: rdz@ccice5.UUCP (Robert D. Zarcone)
> I understand there are 700+ banks on the Fed's "endangered species"
> list.  Does anyone know where this list can be obtained?  Are any
> of the "Big Boys" like Chase, Manny Hanny, BOA, etc. on the list?
> Any and all information on this is greatly appreciated.

Well, I really don't know if you could get such a list but I sorta doubt it.
Can you imagine the run on banks such knowledge would cause?  I read an
article awhile back in one of the Sunday papers on the subject.  Basically
the article stated that when Humpty Dumpty (some bank) falls off the wall the
king (the Fed) puts it back together again.  *And* they try to do it before
anyone notices that Mr. Dumpty took a spill.  Thus far, since the depression
that is, the Fed has been very good at doing this.  The Fed tends to swoop
down on the failing bank, go over the books, and get a bigger bank to buy out
the failing one.  Things have gotten bad enough that the government had to
suspend some rules to keep things going.  In particular, you'll now find
interstate banks.  In many cases, the small neighborhood bank that failed has
become the local branch of one of the top two banks in the country - look
around!!!!
--

-Mel Pleasant
uucp:   ...{harvard, seismo, ut-sally, sri-iu, ihnp4!packard}!topaz!pleasant

rdz@ccice5.UUCP (Robert D. Zarcone) (02/12/85)

> > From: rdz@ccice5.UUCP (Robert D. Zarcone)
> > I understand there are 700+ banks on the Fed's "endangered species"
> > list.  Does anyone know where this list can be obtained?  Are any
> > of the "Big Boys" like Chase, Manny Hanny, BOA, etc. on the list?
> > Any and all information on this is greatly appreciated.
>
> Well, I really don't know if you could get such a list but I sorta doubt it.
>
> -Mel Pleasant

Do you think we could try the Freedom of Information Act? [:-)]

rdz@ccice5.UUCP (Robert D. Zarcone) (02/18/85)

> > > I understand there are 700+ banks on the Fed's "endangered species"
> > > list.  Does anyone know where this list can be obtained?  Are any
> > > of the "Big Boys" like Chase, Manny Hanny, BOA, etc. on the list?
> > > Any and all information on this is greatly appreciated.

Well, if First Boston wasn't there before, I bet it is now!