[net.invest] Stock Ticker

rabbit@homxb.UUCP (P.REED) (09/03/85)

An earlier posting described a radio service called Quotrek, which
transmitted the NYSE trade board delayed 15 minutes.  I have
been unable to find any more information in the open literature on this
service.  I would appreciate help in getting more information.
And, does anyone have experience with it or a similar service?

 Thank-you in advance.

gary@ISM780.UUCP (09/06/85)

--------
Guessing by the name "Quotrek", it is probably something offered by
the Quotron company which produces and sells various stock market
products/services.  They are located in the Marina Del Rey area of
L.A.  and their number is (213) 827 4600.  This is just a guess, and I
have no relationship to Quotron.  Hope this helps.

Gary Swift, INTERACTIVE Systems Corp., Santa Monica, Ca., (213) 453 8649
{decvax!cca | yale | bbncca | allegra | cbosgd | ihnp4}!ima!ism780!gary

walt_sak@proper.UUCP (Walt Sakai) (09/07/85)

Quotrek is made by DATASPEED INC.   415-571-1800 or 800-762-7538
San Mateo, CA.

You may also want to check the following alternatives:
Pocket Pro
Radio Exchange
by TELEMET AMERICA INC.   703-548-2042 or 800-368-2078
Alexandria, VA.

Some quote receivers are capable of PC interface for analysis and
graphs.    Let us know how things develop.

Walt Sakai
     uucp: {ucbvax, hplabs, ihnp4, cbosgd,
            unisoft, decwrl, fortune, sun}!dual!proper!walt_sak
     uucp:  qantel!proper!walt_sak
ARPA(new):    dual!proper!walt_sak@UCBVAX.BERKELEY.EDU
ARPA(old):    dual!proper!walt_sak@BERKELEY.ARPA

ber@myriasb.UUCP (Brad Ratsoy) (09/10/85)

If this type of service does exist, I would like to hear about
it for the TSE. Thank you.

johnl@ima.UUCP (09/17/85)

A less expensive service than getting a dedicated radio receiver is
Dow Phone which provides stock quotes and business news over any tone
phone.  You punch in codes for stocks on which you want prices or
companies and industries on which you want information.  You can set up
a "portfolio" of codes so you just punch in a digit or two and it rattles
off the prices of all your favorite stocks or news stories about your
favorite companies and industries.  The user interface is well designed
for serious users so you can interrupt stories you don't care about, skip
ahead and back, and so forth.

The cost is 50 cents/minute plus the call to their computer in New Jersey.
If you subscribe to SBS Skyline long distance, you can get it through SBS
(and have the charges appear on your SBS bill) or else get it directly
from Dow Jones.

I use it now and then, and it works as advertised.  The advantage is that
you only pay when you use it, the disadvantage is that you have to be next
to a phone to use it and if you call all the time it would get expensive.
Then again, current market thinking says that you can't make money over the
long term by rapid trading, so you shouldn't want to call all the time, anyway.

John Levine, ima!johnl

eec3@ihuxx.UUCP (e. cumberland) (09/21/85)

> A less expensive service than getting a dedicated radio receiver is
> Dow Phone which provides stock quotes and business news over any tone
> phone.  You punch in codes for stocks on which you want prices or

How can I get more information on this service?  Is there a number
or address for Dow Jones I can inquire to?

Thanks in advance for the info!!!

			Edwin E. Cumberland III

stern@tilt.FUN (09/23/85)

[]

You can call the Dow Jone Customer Service Hotline:

	1-800 257 0437

They are around weekdays from 8 am to 10 pm (EDT) and on
Saturdays from 9 am to 5 pm.

I've had DowPhone for about three months and find it very, very
useful when travelling or out in the middle of nowhere.  Also,
if I have an open options position, I can get quotes immediately
before calling the old discount broker.

--Hal Stern
  {ihnp4, allegra}!princeton!flakey!stern

dave@cylixd.UUCP (Dave Kirby) (09/25/85)

In article <938@ihuxx.UUCP> eec3@ihuxx.UUCP (e. cumberland) writes:
>> Dow Phone which provides stock quotes and business news over any tone
>> phone.  You punch in codes for stocks on which you want prices or
>
>How can I get more information on this service?  Is there a number
>or address for Dow Jones I can inquire to?

Forgive my posting instead of mailing, but I have found the mail
untrustworthy. You not only can get information, but you can get a
free demo by calling 1-800-345-NEWS. If you decide to subscribe, you
can get a toll-free number that costs you $1 a minute, or a long-
distance number that costs you $.50 a minute.

Dave Kirby    ( ...!ihnp4!akgub!cylixd!dave)

(The views expressed herein do not necessarily reflect
those of RCA Cylix. They may not even reflect my own.)