[net.invest] Mutual Share Information Needed

dave@cylixd.UUCP (Dave Kirby) (10/18/85)

I received this in the mail today:

A past netnews article of yours said that you could look up
the past year/5 year/10 year performance of mutual funds.

do you have any info on 'mutual shares' and their
IRA fund, 'mutual qualified' ?

thanx in advance.

jeff langer
allegra!jeff
I don't have any information on these instruments, so I'm posting
the question to the net. Can anyone help?

patcl@tekecs.UUCP (Pat Clancy) (10/20/85)

>...do you have any info on 'mutual shares' and their
>IRA fund, 'mutual qualified' ?

In last July's Consumer Reports piece on mutual funds,
Mutual Shares Corp. was the top-ranked no-load fund that
had shown consistent 5/10 year performance, and was never in
the bottom 25% in any year, and was still open to new investors
at that time. I think Forbes dropped them from the "honor
roll" because they supposedly don't do as well as they used
to in up markets. For what it's worth, I invested on 9/3 when
they were at 57.58, and they're now around 58.41.

Pat Clancy
Tektronix

cwc@mhuxd.UUCP (Chip Christ) (10/22/85)

Another source of info useful for comparing mutual funds is
"Money" magazine's annual fund rankings, which compares current,
5-year & 10-year returns and provides a few other tid-bits on
each ranked fund.  If nothing else, it is a starting point for
choosing which funds to investigate further.

Chip

p.s. This year's rankings are in the October issue.

johnl@ima.UUCP (10/22/85)

Here is some info on Mutual Shares and Mutual Qualified from this year's
Forbes mutual funds surveys.  This is 10 year data for Mutual Shares, since
the fund's inception for Mutual Qualified.

		Qualified	Shares
Up performance:	D		C
Down perform:	A		A+

(performance in up markets and down markets, rated from A+ down to F.)

Average annual return: -	21.6%   (S+P 500: 12.5%)
					(no number computed for Qualified)
Total return,
last 12 months:	21.0%		22.7%	(S+P 500: 30.9%)

Dividend return,
last 12 months:	6.2%		7.3%	(S+P 500: 4.2%)

Total assets:	$308M		$776M

% change in assets
since last year: 181%		110%

Annual expenses,
per $100:	0.81		0.73

Both are no-load funds.  These numbers mean that Mutual Shares is a decent
fund which has outperformed the indices for the last 10 years.  You could
do worse.  Of course, there are other funds that have done even better.

These funds are distributed by Heine Securities, 800-457-0211 or
212-908-4047.

As I keep saying, if you really care about choosing a mutual fund, you
should go down to your library and look up the September 16 issue of Forbes
which has ratings like these for most every fund there is.

John Levine, ima!johnl

wan@gatech.CSNET (Peter N. Wan) (10/22/85)

In article <392@cylixd.UUCP> dave@cylixd.UUCP (Dave Kirby) writes:
>A past netnews article of yours said that you could look up
>the past year/5 year/10 year performance of mutual funds.
>
>do you have any info on 'mutual shares' and their
>IRA fund, 'mutual qualified' ?
>
>thanx in advance.
>
>jeff langer
>allegra!jeff
>I don't have any information on these instruments, so I'm posting
>the question to the net. Can anyone help?

The October issue of Money magazine ranks 515 funds.  Mutual Shares Corp.
is ranked #20 on the list of long-term growth funds.  It is listed as
having 22% gain on one year, 146.1% for five years, and 726.1% for ten
years.  There is no listing that I could find for "Mutual Qualified";
maybe it is just an IRA arrangement for their growth fund?
	Peter
--
Peter N Wan
UUCP  : ...!{akgua,allegra,ihnp4,rlgvax,ut-ngp,ut-sally}!gatech!wan

mazlack@ernie.BERKELEY.EDU (Lawrence J. &) (10/23/85)

>>A past netnews article of yours said that you could look up
>>the past year/5 year/10 year performance of mutual funds.
>>
>>do you have any info on 'mutual shares' and their
>>IRA fund, 'mutual qualified' ?
>>
>>thanx in advance.
>>
>>jeff langer
>>
>>I don't have any information on these instruments, so I'm posting
>>the question to the net. Can anyone help?
>
>The October issue of Money magazine ranks 515 funds.  Mutual Shares Corp.
>is ranked #20 on the list of long-term growth funds.  It is listed as
>having 22% gain on one year, 146.1% for five years, and 726.1% for ten
>years.  There is no listing that I could find for "Mutual Qualified";
>maybe it is just an IRA arrangement for their growth fund?
>	Peter
>--
>Peter N Wan

Mututal Qualified is a newer fund designed for things such as IRAs and Keoghs
where tax considerations are not a factor.  Same basic philosophy, presumably
trades more often.
....Larry Mazlack