[net.invest] Stockbroker selection, discount brokers.

ems@amdahl.UUCP (ems) (11/27/85)

I would like to change stock brokers.  Some time ago Charles Schwab
raised their rates.  They have now changed their hours to be 6:30 to
3:30 local time.  This is a pain.  Does anyone have a suggestion
for someone with reasonable service at cheap rates?  Reasonable
hours (later) or good mail service would also be appreciated.
--

E. Michael Smith  ...!{hplabs,ihnp4,amd,nsc}!amdahl!ems

'If you can dream it, you can do it'  Walt Disney

This is the obligatory disclaimer of everything. (Including but
not limited to: typos, spelling, diction, logic, and nuclear war)

mazlack@ernie.BERKELEY.EDU (Lawrence J. &) (11/27/85)

>I would like to change stock brokers.  Some time ago Charles Schwab
>raised their rates.  They have now changed their hours to be 6:30 to
>3:30 local time.  This is a pain.  Does anyone have a suggestion
>for someone with reasonable service at cheap rates?  Reasonable
>hours (later) or good mail service would also be appreciated.

I recommend Rose.  I have been using them for about 3 years.  Very good back
office and execution.  Before that, I used Schwab - they consistently
screwed up my accounts.  I also occasionally use Quick and Reilly (sp?) -
they are a little confused when tracking your orders, but they are
very good in delivering certificates and checks.
  ...Larry Mazlack

cnrdean@ucbtopaz.BERKELEY.EDU (11/28/85)

I am very surprised at the dissatisfaction being expressed about
Charles Schwabb.  I use them with no problem.

1.  My local office is in Walnut Creek.  I have had no problems
with them.  When they are closed, I just use the 24 hour toll free number.
It is great.  Free, no hassle quotes, even in the middle of the night.
This is nice, since I don't think about investments during the day.
No advice.  I use it when I
am on vacation anywhere in the U.S. (although I haven't left California for
many years).

2.  They have never screwed up my accounts.

3.  However, I have seen reports of discount brokers, which indicates that
Schwabb isn't the least expensive.  But, I am willing to pay a little more
for a big, fiscally sound company.

4.  I am open minded.  I have never heard of "Rose".  I am interested.
Where do I (we) get in contact?  Do they give 24 hour free quotes?

Sam Scalise

mazlack@ernie.BERKELEY.EDU (Lawrence J. &) (11/28/85)

>I am very surprised at the dissatisfaction being expressed about
>Charles Schwabb.  I use them with no problem.
>

>2.  They have never screwed up my accounts.
>
>4.  I am open minded.  I have never heard of "Rose".  I am interested.
>Where do I (we) get in contact?  Do they give 24 hour free quotes?

Schwabb (about 2-3 years ago, I think) had massive book keeping problems which
affected quite a lot of people.  In my case, they created several different
types of accounts for me (about 4 in all), credited payments against one
account and margined stocks held in other accounts because the payments
were credited wrong.  At the same time, I had extra commisions because they
split orders (i.e., had more than one transaction to satisfy an order when
the transaction was to have been a single buy - to do this you specify
"all or none").  I contacted everybody possible, including the FEC to sort
out my extra charges.  Unfortunately, it wasn't completely cleared up to
my satisfaction. [I only wanted to operate a single, cash account.)

Rose is owned by the Chase Manhattan Bank.  It was taken over while an
operating entity (just as Schwabb is owned by Bank of America).  Both
operate as independent subsidaries (different than directly using a bank
as a broker - which I don't recommend).  Rose is headquartered in Chicago,
Schwabb in San Francisco (I think). Schwabb is the largest discount broker,
Rose the second largest.

Rose's number: 800-621-3700

I don't know if Rose has a 24 hour line. They always answer when I call during
West Coast business hours tho.  I've never tried otherwise. They do have a
program that will let you keep a list of your stocks in their machine so you
can track current value and profit/loss. (I don't use this because I am
reluctant for anyone to know all that I own.)

I certainly agree that you should only deal with sound companies.

I usually go with Rose because of the quality of their execution and book work.
However, if you are happy with someone else, why change? (Assuming you
take delivery of the certificates.)  The reasons that I use two brokers are:
(a) not having everyone know all my assets, (b) having a developed relationship
with another broker incase I get into a dispute with my current one,
(c) when buying penny stocks, there is a substantial difference between broker
costs, even discount brokers.
...Larry Mazlack

mr@homxb.UUCP (M.RINDSBERG) (11/28/85)

> I would like to change stock brokers.  Some time ago Charles Schwab
> raised their rates.  They have now changed their hours to be 6:30 to
> 3:30 local time.  This is a pain.  Does anyone have a suggestion
> for someone with reasonable service at cheap rates?  Reasonable
> hours (later) or good mail service would also be appreciated.
> E. Michael Smith  ...!{hplabs,ihnp4,amd,nsc}!amdahl!ems

I think the discount rates at schwab are just as good  or better
than anyone else. Also the hours are 24 hours per day, 7 days per week
for information or orders. ( I think some of these only apply to
the schwab 1 account)

mark

lmiller@ucla-cs.UUCP (12/02/85)

The discussion on problems with Schwab brings up a general problem with
brokers--you should assume that they are all incompetent.  I have had
substantial difficulties over the years with Dean Witter.  Late/slow buy
and sell execution.  Buys or sells attributed to other people's accounts,
slow or nonexistent monthly statements.  Bizarre margin rates.
Unexplainable "journal entries" of transfers of cash.  Slow crediting of
interest or dividends to account, etc.

I urge anyone dealing with a broker to examine all transactions closely;
shop for best margin rates; take personal deliverly of certificates on
cash sales, and be very, very careful with orders, credits and debits to
account.

L. Miller

mazlack@ernie.BERKELEY.EDU (Lawrence J. &) (12/04/85)

>The discussion on problems with Schwab brings up a general problem with
>brokers--you should assume that they are all incompetent.  I have had
>substantial difficulties over the years with Dean Witter.  Late/slow buy
>and sell execution.  Buys or sells attributed to other people's accounts,
>slow or nonexistent monthly statements.  Bizarre margin rates.
>Unexplainable "journal entries" of transfers of cash.  Slow crediting of
>interest or dividends to account, etc.

Absolutely.  I trade regularily (about every two weeks) and they regularily
can mess up.  The prime reason I deal mostly with Rose know is that over
about a hundred trades, they haven't messed up yet.  This doesn't mean
that they won't.  One thing that they do that I like is that they tape
all of your conversations.  When a dispute arises, they replay the tape to
you over the telephone (it usually is done the same day the question arises).
Because the dollar difference from one discount broker to the other is not
very large, I would choose on the basis of execution and book work.  (I do
occasionally trade with a "full service" broker - when they provide critical
information; however, 95% of my trading is done with either Rose or
Quick&Reilly.)

>I urge anyone dealing with a broker to examine all transactions closely;

Right on.  I have had all sorts of problems.  The worst against me was
when MLPFS bought 10,000 shares instead of 100, the stock went down, and
then they tried to have me make it good.  After a little discussion,
they agreed to eat it.  I write this off to a broker error that they were
willing to correct - I have no bitch with them as they were willing to fix
their mistake.  However, with Schwab, I never was able to set things right.
(Because of a lot of complaints like mine, Schwab promised the SEC to do
better.)

>shop for best margin rates; take personal deliverly of certificates on
>cash sales, and be very, very careful with orders, credits and debits to
>account.
>
>L. Miller

Absolutely take delivery.  So far this year, there have been 10 broker failures
(according to yesterday's Wall Street Journal).  Any of them can fail, for
example, Bache did.  Even if they don't fail, they can and do loose track
of certificates.
   ...Larry Mazlack

gnu@l5.uucp (John Gilmore) (12/04/85)

Can anybody recommend one way or another on Kennedy, Cabot and Co. as a
discount broker?  They claim to be cheaper than Schwab (and I really
hate to put my money into the care of Bank of Sicily, oops I mean Bank
of America).

morse@leadsv.UUCP (Terry Morse) (12/05/85)

> Absolutely take delivery.  So far this year, there have been 10 broker
> failures (according to yesterday's Wall Street Journal).  Any of them
> can fail, for example, Bache did.  Even if they don't fail, they can
> and do loose track  of certificates.
>    ...Larry Mazlack

I'm confused.  Aren't brokerage housed insured?  They advertise that your
securities are insured up to $1 million or some amount like that.  I thought
that was supposed to protect you against broker failures.

I have never taken possession of my certificates, citing the hassle of
traveling back and forth from broker to safety deposit box as the reason.
Am I taking an undue risk by not taking possession?  Has anyone lost any
money in these recent broker failures?

mcb@styx.UUCP (Michael C. Berch) (12/05/85)

In article <11135@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU> mazlack@ernie.UUCP (Lawrence J. Mazlack) writes:
> . . .
> >shop for best margin rates; take personal deliverly of certificates on
> >cash sales, and be very, very careful with orders, credits and debits to
> >account.
> >
> >L. Miller
>
> Absolutely take delivery. So far this year, there have been 10 broker failures
> (according to yesterday's Wall Street Journal).  Any of them can fail, for
> example, Bache did.  Even if they don't fail, they can and do loose track
> of certificates.
>    ...Larry Mazlack

I can't agree with the idea of taking delivery of certificates. They
are simply a pain to deal with, and when they are in your possession,
you are responsible for loss or destruction.  You are protected in
case of failure by SIPC (Yeah, I know, dealing with anybody after a
default is a ROYAL pain), and otherwise you don't have to WORRY about
the certificates; you have your confirmation of purchase slip and your
monthly statement. [There is really nothing to lose track of; the
actual certificates live in a vault in New York or New Jersey
somewhere and the brokers just trade ownership of them with an online
accounting system.]

Michael C. Berch
mcb@lll-tis-b.ARPA
{akgua,allegra,cbosgd,decwrl,dual,ihnp4,sun}!idi!styx!mcb

karl@vrdxhq.UUCP (Karl Nyberg) (12/05/85)

I have been buying and selling stock regularly with Q&R, and have
found them to be excellent, both in terms of rates and other
amenities.  One thing in particular was the reissue of a check that
my bank (!) had lost in depositing without any difficulty whatsoever.
I have enclosed some of my trades and commission fees / percentages
for those who are interested.  $35.00 minimum up to 1000 shares, and
$50.00 minimum over 1000 shares.

   #shares     PRICE     TOTAL    COMMIS   PERCENT
   =======     =====     =====    ======   =======

    200.00     17.25   3450.00     46.37      1.34
    100.00     16.75   1675.00     35.00      2.09

   1000.00      5.50   5500.00     50.00      0.91
   1400.00      4.50   6300.00     57.64      0.91
   1000.00      4.88   4875.00     50.00      1.03
   3000.00      5.50  16500.00    115.70      0.70

--
-- Karl
--

DDN: 	nyberg@eclb, nyberg@utexas-20, Nyberg@mit-multics
UUCP:	...!{rlgvax, seismo, trwatf, umcp-cs, verdix}!vrdxhq!karl

mazlack@ernie.BERKELEY.EDU (Lawrence J. &) (12/05/85)

>I can't agree with the idea of taking delivery of certificates. They
>are simply a pain to deal with, and when they are in your possession,
>you are responsible for loss or destruction.  You are protected in
>case of failure by SIPC (Yeah, I know, dealing with anybody after a
>default is a ROYAL pain), and otherwise you don't have to WORRY about
>the certificates; you have your confirmation of purchase slip and your
>monthly statement. [There is really nothing to lose track of; the
>actual certificates live in a vault in New York or New Jersey
>somewhere and the brokers just trade ownership of them with an online
>accounting system.]
>
>Michael C. Berch

Not really.  If the broker keeps the certificate, the broker can carry
your "ownership" of the stock as a ledger entry without aquiring the stock
from someone else. Furthermore, the broker is able to borrow against YOUR
stock, for the broker's benefit. Both of these activities, complicate
retrieving your stock in the case of failure.

Also, if a failure does occur, and they DO OCCCUR regularily, your stock
will be frozen for months - you will not be able to sell it or borrow on it.
The SIPC will PROBABLY eventually get your stock back for you, but if you
sustain a loss during the period (either because the stock price goes
against you, tax reasons, or hedge strategies), the loss is yours.

...Larry Mazlack

cnrdean@ucbtopaz.BERKELEY.EDU (12/05/85)

1.  I was very tempted by Schwabs repeated suggestions that I let
them hold my certificates.  They even offer a free gift
in exchange.  But, I have held off.  And after
reading about the problems of others, ... no way.

2.  I called the 800 number provided for Rose a while back, but got
no answer.  Maybe I copied it down wrong.  Could someone repeat it?

3.  And now, to the point:  How about exchanging 'hot stock' tips?  I
do my own research, and have done quite well.  (Of course so has
just about everybody lately.)  But, I would sure like to exchange
ideas with others -- not a broker.

4.  I have the impression that most stock brokers would try to sell you
stock in anything if they thought you would.  A secretary in our
office told me she bought 2 (two) shares of PG&E from Merril
Lynch.  With that kind of volume, wouldn't that stock have to go
up about 300% before she could break even?

Sam Scalise

brett@ucla-cs.UUCP (12/06/85)

> Not really.  If the broker keeps the certificate, the broker can carry
> your "ownership" of the stock as a ledger entry without aquiring the stock
> from someone else. Furthermore, the broker is able to borrow against YOUR
> stock, for the broker's benefit. Both of these activities, complicate
> retrieving your stock in the case of failure.

No way.  In a cash account a broker MAY NOT borrow against YOUR stock
for the broker's benefit.  It's only in a margin account where that can
be done.  In the latter case you can't get delivery of the stock anyhow.

> Also, if a failure does occur, and they DO OCCCUR regularily, your stock
> will be frozen for months - you will not be able to sell it or borrow on it.
> The SIPC will PROBABLY eventually get your stock back for you, but if you
> sustain a loss during the period (either because the stock price goes
> against you, tax reasons, or hedge strategies), the loss is yours.
>
> ...Larry Mazlack

The selling issue is easy.  You sell short with
another broker and when the stock is unfrozen
deliver your certificates.  It will cost you margin
charges; maybe not even that if you appeal it - I'm not sure.

I don't know how to handle the borrowing issue.
--
Brett Fleisch
University of California Los Angeles

brett@LOCUS.UCLA.EDU
{...sdcrdcf, ihnp4, trwspp, ucbvax}!ucla-cs!brett

hollombe@ttidcc.UUCP (The Polymath) (12/06/85)

In article <17008@styx.UUCP> mcb@styx.UUCP (Michael C. Berch) writes:

>I can't agree with the idea of taking delivery of certificates. They
>are simply a pain to deal with, and when they are in your possession,
>you are responsible for loss or destruction.  You are protected in
>case of failure by SIPC (Yeah, I know, dealing with anybody after a
>default is a ROYAL pain), and otherwise you don't have to WORRY about
>the certificates; you have your confirmation of purchase slip and your
>monthly statement.

There speaks a man who's probably never had a broker go belly-up on him.  I
have and I can tell you it's more than a pain.  It's expensive.

When a broker goes into bankruptcy it can take the  receivers  _months_  or
even  _years_  to  sort out who owns what on their accounts.  While they're
doing that you have _no access to your stocks at all_.  If the price  of  a
stock  starts  to  fall and you want to sell you're out of luck and there's
_nothing_ you can do about it.  All you can do is watch your assets dwindle
while the lawyers and bean counters argue over which ones are really yours.

I _always_ take delivery of my certificates.  As for  safety,  that's  what
safe  deposit  boxes are for (where do you think brokers keep them?).  Cost
of the box is even tax deductible when used for this purpose.

-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_
The Polymath (aka: Jerry Hollombe)
Citicorp(+)TTI                    The more I work with C, the more I
3100 Ocean Park Blvd.             appreciate the simple elegance of
Santa Monica, CA  90405           FORTRAN.
(213) 450-9111, ext. 2483
{philabs,randvax,trwrb,vortex}!ttidca!ttidcc!hollombe

mazlack@ernie.BERKELEY.EDU (Lawrence J. &) (12/07/85)

>> Absolutely take delivery.  So far this year, there have been 10 broker
>> failures (according to yesterday's Wall Street Journal).  Any of them
>> can fail, for example, Bache did.  Even if they don't fail, they can
>> and do loose track  of certificates.
>>    ...Larry Mazlack
>
>I'm confused.  Aren't brokerage housed insured?  They advertise that your
>securities are insured up to $1 million or some amount like that.  I thought
>that was supposed to protect you against broker failures.
>
>I have never taken possession of my certificates, citing the hassle of
>traveling back and forth from broker to safety deposit box as the reason.
>Am I taking an undue risk by not taking possession?  Has anyone lost any
>money in these recent broker failures?

Right, most of the brokers are insured.  But, the insurance only protects
you against outright loss of the certificate.  It doesn't help you straighten
out your account when they have fouled up because of book work.  And most
of the failures occur because of this kind of problem.

Also, what happens is that your account is *frozen* while they try to
straighten out what who owes what to whom. This is not always so simple,
as your *ownership* of a stock held by your broker could be just a journal
entry for stocks that the broker holds for himself.  These stocks, the
broker will probably be using as security for the broker's own loans.
This in turn makes it murky as to the true ownership of the stock.

The basic problem in having your account *frozen* is that you cannot get
out of a position UNTIL most everything is resolved. Unless one broker takes
over another, this will take months.

This can hurt if the stock price goes against you
(either down for something you own, or up for something you are short in).
There are also several hedge strategies dealing with options and stocks
that can be devastating if your account is frozen. I'm not sure what happens
to options positions; but I think they are also untouchable (this is what
happens with commodities) and you win or loose accordingly.  (However, as
you can't take possesion of an option's certificate, this isn't germane to
the question of taking possesion of stock/bond certificates.)

Another advantage of
holding your own certificates is that you can go to a bank and borrow
against them (of course, depending on your broker, you may also be able
to do this with stocks the broker holds).
...Larry Mazlack

mcb@styx.UUCP (Michael C. Berch) (12/08/85)

C'mon, folks. Think for a minute and contrast the odds of your broker
going belly up (which happens, but not very often) with the number of
things that can happen if you take delivery of your certificates, like:

1. You lose them.
2. They are stolen.
3. They are destroyed by fire, flood, etc.
4. They get lost in the mail being sent to/from a broker.

Never mind the obnoxiousness of having to travel to and from the bank.
I find dealing with banks even less fun than dealing with brokers and
try to limit my personal visits to depositing paychecks and hitting up
the ATM for cash and paying credit card bills.

For those of you who still have the idea in your mind of your brokers
handling share certificates and "keeping track of them", forget it.
THERE ISN'T ANYTHING TO KEEP TRACK OF. It's all software and spinning
disks, folks. If a Merrill Lynch customer sells 100 shares of XYZ to a
Schwab customer, no paper changes hands. Stock certificates live in a
repository and change hands only on paper and electronically, until somebody
wants 'em delivered personally. If your broker holds your stocks in
street name (that's the trade term for holding the stock for you) and ever
gives you any jive about "losing track of the certificates", contact your
lawyer and the SEC, in that order. THEY ARE DEFRAUDING YOU. No one ever
even SEES the certificates.

Michael C. Berch
ARPA: mcb@lll-tis-b.ARPA
UUCP: {akgua,allegra,cbosgd,decwrl,dual,ihnp4,sun}!idi!styx!mcb

ems@amdahl.UUCP (ems) (12/09/85)

> > I would like to change stock brokers.  Some time ago Charles Schwab
> > raised their rates.  They have now changed their hours to be 6:30 to
> > 3:30 local time.  This is a pain.  Does anyone have a suggestion
>
> I think the discount rates at schwab are just as good  or better
> than anyone else. Also the hours are 24 hours per day, 7 days per week
> for information or orders. ( I think some of these only apply to
> the schwab 1 account)

The problem with office hours (not everything can be done over the
phone) manifests when one must deliver certificates
to the broker ...  Especially if one gets up late and has a boss
who expects a full days work ...

As per rates, I am most interested in playing (yes, really playing)
with penny stocks.  The rates for these vary tremendously.  If someone
knows of a cheap broker for penny stocks, I would love to hear.