[net.invest] Building a portfolio question?

ler@ihuxb.UUCP (Litzhoff) (12/10/85)

Here are a few questions for all you financial counselors out there?
As a new investor in the market my first goal is to build a working
portfolio(i.e. buy and sell stock building capital). I only have a
few thousand to work with. How can I retain my profits so I can
build a portfolio if the goverment takes its fair share?
Please do not suggest IRAs. I would like the money now not in 30
years when I am dead.

johnl@ima.UUCP (12/13/85)

/* Written 11:01 am  Dec 10, 1985 by ler@ihuxb in ima:net.invest */
> As a new investor in the market my first goal is to build a working
> portfolio(i.e. buy and sell stock building capital). I only have a
> few thousand to work with. How can I retain my profits so I can
> build a portfolio if the goverment takes its fair share?

Don't buy or sell very often.  Really.  Remember, the tax treatment is
better for stock held a year or more, and regardless of that, you lose
a few percent of your capital in commissions every time you buy or sell.
All of the evidence I've ever seen says that people who trade a lot do
worse than those who don't.  They may have more exciting lives, but they
are not richer.

John Levine, ima!johnl

PS:  You might look at an IRA even if you're not planning to leave your
money in it until you're 70.  The penalties for withdrawing early are only
about 10%.

suhre@trwrba.UUCP (Maurice E. Suhre) (12/13/85)

In article <1177@ihuxb.UUCP> ler@ihuxb.UUCP (Litzhoff) writes:
>As a new investor in the market my first goal is to build a working
>portfolio(i.e. buy and sell stock building capital). I only have a
>few thousand to work with. How can I retain my profits so I can
>build a portfolio if the goverment takes its fair share?

Simple.  Aim for capital gains.  The government won't get very much
(40% * marginal tax rate) which might be 12-18% of your profits.
That is, you can probably keep 80-90 percent of the capital gains.
When you get affluent, you can worry about tax shelters and the
alternative minimum tax.

I don't remember if the dividend exclusion was repealed or not.

Maurice

{decvax,sdcrdcf,ihnp4,ucbvax}!trwrb!suhre

morse@leadsv.UUCP (Terry Morse) (12/14/85)

> Don't buy or sell very often.  Really.  Remember, the tax treatment is
> better for stock held a year or more, ...

The tax treatment is better for stocks held 6 months or more, as of 6/22/84.
That is the requirement for long term capital gains.
--

Terry Morse  (408)743-1487
{ ihnp4!amdcad!cae780 } | { allegra!sun!sunncal } !leadsv!morse