[net.invest] Stockbroker costs

mazlack@ernie.BERKELEY.EDU (Lawrence J. &) (12/07/85)

COST OF INVESTING (developed from information in Wall Street Journal, 2 Dec 85)

Brokerage            Rate Structure            Cost for 100 shares ($10-30)
---------            ---------------------     ----------------------------
Security Pacific     Transaction Value         $36
Fidelity Brokerage   Transaction Value         $30
Pacific Brokerage    Number of Shares          $25 (0-300 shares)
Spear Securities     Value + Number            $35
Rose                 Value + Number            $25 ($20 + 0.05 sh to 5,000 sh)
Quick & Reilly       Value + Number            $35
Schwab               Transaction Value         $34
Whitehall Securities Number of Shares          $12.50 ($0.125 a share)
Kennedy and Cabot    Number of Shares          $35 ($30 for less than 100)

                                                Unless otherwise noted, these
                                                are minimum chareges.

Note: The cost for 100 shares is, for the brokers using value as part of the
      cost basis, the brokers minimum charge. For most of the brokers, the
      charge will not go over the minimum charge untill the share price exceeds
      $30.

ALTHOUGH I USE DISCOUNT BROKERS TO HANDLE 90% OF MY TRADES, I STRONGLY
RECOMMEND THAT YOU CONSIDER QUESTIONS OF EXECUTION QUALITY AND BOOK KEEPING
QUALITY AS WELL AS BROKER COSTS WHEN SELECTING A BROKER.

Larry Mazlack
UUCP		{tektronix,dual,sun,ihnp4,decvax}!ucbvax!ucbernie!mazlack
New style	mazlack@ernie.berkeley.edu
ARPA | CSNET	mazlack%ernie@berkeley.ARPA
BITNET   	mazlack@ucbernie.BITNET

In article <11166@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU> mazlack@ernie.UUCP (Lawrence J. Mazlack) writes:
>ALTHOUGH I USE DISCOUNT BROKERS TO HANDLE 90% OF MY TRADES, I STRONGLY
>RECOMMEND THAT YOU CONSIDER QUESTIONS OF EXECUTION QUALITY AND BOOK KEEPING
>QUALITY AS WELL AS BROKER COSTS WHEN SELECTING A BROKER.

You forgot to mention financial soundness.  Large, well-backed firms are
less likely to go bust than small, independent ones.  (I use Schwab, by
the way, and have had no problems with them.  My trading volume is not
high, however.)

Another important point is diversity.  Don't have all your assets managed
by one institution.  I would recommend at least having a substantial
money market-type account separate from your brokerage account.

Frank Adams                           ihpn4!philabs!pwa-b!mmintl!franka

mazlack@ernie.BERKELEY.EDU (Lawrence J. &) (12/16/85)

>In article <11166@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU> mazlack@ernie.UUCP (Lawrence J. Mazlack) writes:
>>ALTHOUGH I USE DISCOUNT BROKERS TO HANDLE 90% OF MY TRADES, I STRONGLY
>>RECOMMEND THAT YOU CONSIDER QUESTIONS OF EXECUTION QUALITY AND BOOK KEEPING
>>QUALITY AS WELL AS BROKER COSTS WHEN SELECTING A BROKER.
>
>You forgot to mention financial soundness.  Large, well-backed firms are
>less likely to go bust than small, independent ones.  (I use Schwab, by
>the way, and have had no problems with them.  My trading volume is not
>high, however.)

I certainly agree that financial soundness is important.  However, size alone
is not the determiner of soundness. A few years ago, some of the biggest
brokerage houses went belly up.  (I wish that I could place it accurately
in time, but I think it was about ten years ago - I think that Bache was
one of them. But, I'm not sure.)  Recently, the largest seller of single
premium annuities (Baldwin-United) went under, also Continental Bank (when
it went, it was one of the top ten banks. Currently, Bank of America (owns
Schwab) is losing money hand over fist.  I don't think that any of us is
in a accurate position to judge financial soundness.  That is why I suggest
that you take delivery. I like good book work because then, if they fail, then
my recover time MAY be shorter (maybe only 7 months instead of 2 years).

>Another important point is diversity.  Don't have all your assets managed
>by one institution.  I would recommend at least having a substantial
>money market-type account separate from your brokerage account.

Agreed. I always use at least two brokers. I also use several mutual fund
families (currently 4).  However, I manage my own non-mutual accounts.
I wouldn't trust a commision making broker to do it.  My money accounts are
seperate.

...Larry Mazlack