[net.invest] Numismatic Coins

rcook@uiucuxc.CSO.UIUC.EDU (01/05/86)

OK, I have another coin question.....

	What is the buy-back market on numismatics?

	Can I get ALL my money back when I buy a MS-65 (give or take a grade)?
	In other words, if I go out tomorrow and buy a 1879 Morgan for ~900.00,
	can I sell it the next day for 900.00, or will I loss?

	If I loss, how much will it be?
	If I keep the coin for about a month, will I still lose?

	 Rob Cook

UUCP:	 {ihnp4,pur-ee}!uiucdcs!uiucuxc!rcook

      'Life is just a cocktail party on the street'
			-Mick Jagger-

morse@leadsv.UUCP (Terry Morse) (01/07/86)

In article <23300006@uiucuxc>, rcook@uiucuxc.CSO.UIUC.EDU writes:

> OK, I have another coin question.....
>
> 	What is the buy-back market on numismatics?
>
> 	Can I get ALL my money back when I buy a MS-65 (give or take a grade)?

From what disgruntled former collectors have told me, you buy retail from a
coin dealer.  When you sell, the dealer will only give you wholesale IF he
feels like buying it at all.  He has no obligation to buy it back.

Rare coin collecting seems to be more of a hobby than a good way to invest.
But then I have never tried it, either.
--

Terry Morse  (408)743-1487
{ ihnp4!amdcad!cae780 } | { allegra!sun!sunncal } !leadsv!morse