[net.invest] Recommended reading

guy@slu70.UUCP (Guy M. Smith) (01/27/86)

I've done a little stock investing with mixed results and would like to know a
bit more about what I'm doing. I'd like to know enough to at least assess a
stock myself rather than depending solely on the grapevine or my left big toe
or a broker who is mainly interested in a commission (if he/she even wants to
be bothered with a small timer). Can anyone recommend some good background
material on how the stock market works (as opposed to get-rich-quick schemes or
someones cute model to predict the market). Also, if I were to subscribe to any
one periodical, which one would you recommend. If there's enough interest, I'll
summarize to the net.

tpl@hou2b.UUCP (T.LEE) (01/31/86)

I got hold of a "paperback" a few years back when the stock was really
hot.  This book "How to Buy Stocks"  by Louis Engel and Brendan Boyd
was $3.95 from Bantam Books.  It can be found in most bookstores.
What a buy for $3.95 these days.....  It has most things we should
know if we try to invest money wisely.  It has basic info on differences
between bond, stock, .... and how Wall Street works.
			T. paul Lee
			hocus!tpl
			ATT BL - Holmdel

danb@tesla.UUCP (Dan Blumenthal) (02/02/86)

In article <> tpl@hou2b.UUCP (T.LEE) writes:
>I got hold of a "paperback" a few years back when the stock was really
>hot.  This book "How to Buy Stocks"  by Louis Engel and Brendan Boyd
>was $3.95 from Bantam Books.  It can be found in most bookstores.
>What a buy for $3.95 these days.....  It has most things we should
>know if we try to invest money wisely.  It has basic info on differences
>between bond, stock, .... and how Wall Street works.
>			T. paul Lee
>			hocus!tpl
>			ATT BL - Holmdel

I have that book and it seems to give a good grounding in the
way the markets work and how you can be an investor. I also
just took a book out of the library which I haven't had a
chance to read, so maybe someone else will comment. It's called
How to Read and Profit from Financial News, by Gerald Krefetz.
From the table of contents, it looks like it gives you alot
more information that the other book. More of what are the
relevent factors in different markets than what the actual
details of the workings of the markets. Comments?

Also, can someone tell me the rule on having a brokerage account
while working for a brokerage firm? Can you only deal with the
firm you are working for? Thanks...

Dan B.

{decvax,vax135,allegra}!cornell!tesla!danb
danb@tesla.ee.edu
ak7j@cornella.BITNET

hlb@loral.UUCP (02/03/86)

I would like to recommend the "No-Nonsense Financial Guide" series of
paperback publications selling for $3.50 each.  Topics include;

'Understanding the Stock Market"
"Understnading mutual Funds"
"Understanding Money Market Funds"
"Understanding Common Stocks"
and "Understanding IRSs"

These titles arte available at B. Dalton and Waldenbooks.  Excellent for
beginners.