[net.invest] Major Alert from Joe Granville

dave@cylixd.UUCP (Dave Kirby) (01/30/86)

In case some of you missed this week's Barron's, Joe Granville
has taken out an ad to give us all a major alert to what is about to
take place in the stock market. He has even written a book on it, called
"The Warning."

His ad doesn't specify what his prediction is (up or down), but those
of you who know Mr. Granville will be able to guess. The ad says his
book paints an entirely different picture for 1986 than that expected
by most economists and stock market experts. It goes on to say, "Read
the book and judge for yourself whether there could be this much smoke
without the fire close behind... To cope with the future as Mr.
Granville sees it will require some major changes in current holdings."

It looks like Granville has broken down and written his own gloom-and-
doom book. He is about 5 years too late for the gloom-and-doom boom in
books. The last great G&D book was "How to Prosper During the Coming
Bad Years," by the famous Howard Ruff, who has the distinction of having
the second worst timed portfolio over the last 5 years, second only
to Granville himself. Now Granville is trying to get in on the G&D act.

In case some of you are new to this newsgroup and haven't heard of
Mr. Granville, he is the stock market prognosticator who predicted the
great stock market decline of 1982. Yes, you read right. The "market decline"
of 1982, you know, when the Dow nearly doubled in price in 10 months. Granville
went on to predict the major bubble and crash of 1983, the severe bear
market of 1984, and the 1929-style crash of 1985. Now he is predicting
terrible times in 1986. Judging from Mr. Granville's previous record
of forecasting (for the last 5 years he has been almost consistently
wrong on every count), I would say now is a really good time to buy
stocks. There are good times ahead!

I love these major alerts that Granville puts out from time to time.
This man is intent not only on smearing egg on his face constantly, but
also paying for ads so he can do so publicly. Remember, in 1983 he took out
an ad that said "1983 WILL BE A MAJOR BUBBLE THAT HISTORIANS WILL LATER
COME TO CALL A CRASH!"

I think his strategy is to keep on predicting a crash, so that when the
crash finally comes he will come out as the only prognosticator who
accurately predicted it.

Dave Kirby    ( ...!ihnp4!akgub!cylixd!dave)

halle@hou2b.UUCP (J.HALLE) (02/06/86)

An interesting addendum about Granville
Not too long ago, he stated that he was beginning to get a little bullish.
Two days later the market dropped 38 points.

lazarus@sunybcs.UUCP (Daniel G. Winkowski) (02/06/86)

In article <743@cylixd.UUCP> dave@cylixd.UUCP (Dave Kirby) writes:

>In case some of you missed this week's Barron's, Joe Granville
>has taken out an ad to give us all a major alert to what is about to
>take place in the stock market. He has even written a book on it, called
>"The Warning."

The WSJ reports that Joe Granville has noted 300 similarities between today's
economy and that before the 1929 crash (180 of which are described in his
book). Oh no, more DOOM and GLOOM :-)
Dan Winkowski @ SUNY Buffalo Computer Science (716-636-2193)
UUCP:	..![bbncca,decvax,dual,rocksanne,watmath]!sunybcs!lazarus
CSNET:	lazarus@Buffalo.CSNET     ARPA:	lazarus%buffalo@CSNET-RELAY
[=]
Today we live in the future,
Tomorrow we'll live for the moment,