[net.invest] Is new Dow Jones High Phoney?

rb@ccivax.UUCP (rex ballard) (02/08/86)

I remember hearing about some recent substitutions in the companies
used to make up the Dow Jones Industrial Average.  With the Dow
now breaking 1600 yesterday, I was wandering how much of that
reflects the Dow's ability to pick companies rather than the
actual state of the market.  Are other indicators showing similar
gains?

mre@laidbak.UUCP (Mike Eisler) (02/10/86)

The companies on the Dow Jones I.A. are supposedly selected to produce
a group of stocks that represent all the major industries, and also a
large, if not the majority, of the revenue in the major industries.
Since companies sometimes are removed from the N.Y. Exchange (for
reasons of bankruptcy, going private or absorption by another company),
lose their market share in an industry, or become too involved in other
markets (Eg: If oil company A is on the Dow, and buys semi-conductor
company B -- which is not on the Dow, but has say 5% of the IC market,
then perhaps semi-conductor's will become too well represented in the
average, so company A may be dropped for another oil firm.), they may
have to be replaced.  A replacement does NOT inflate the average,
though if a lack luster stock gets replaced by a high flier, the
average could move up a little faster AFTER the replacement.

Note that it is possible for an entire INDUSTRY to get removed, eg.
there must have been an industry that got replaced by the computer
industry.

I don't know if stocks get replaced due to lousy performance, even if
their revenue share is still solid.  But even if they do, as long as the
resulting make up of the Dow is still a good representation of
industry, the average is still a true measure of industry and stock
market performance.

Caveat, I didn't read up on this recently; these comments represent
only what I recall of what I have read or been taught years ago.
I also don't know which stocks were substituted recently, or with
what.  But considering that the Dow stocks have been going through
substitutions ever since the birth of the Dow, I would say that the
current Dow represents what it claims to represent.

	-Mike Eisler
	ihnp4!laidbak!mre

ekrell@ucla-cs.UUCP (02/10/86)

In article <378@ccivax.UUCP> rb@ccivax.UUCP  writes:

> ..about the DJIA breaking records once again ...
> Are other indicators showing similar gains?

Yes, most of the broad market indecies like the OTC (Over The Counter)
index and the popular S&P 500 are also in new record territory. The AMEX
(American Exchange) has not performed so well lately, but that is because
of its high membership of Energy and Oil industries which are not doing
very well after the last drop in oil prices.

Changes in the DJI components are not made to pick up good stocks
but rather to reflect changes in the US economy and corporate world. One
of the changes was to drop one corporation that was acquired by another
one that was also part of the DJI (don't recall names). It doesn't make
sense to keep both in the DJI, since one is now part of the other.

Changes in the DJI components are not that often.
--
    Eduardo Krell               UCLA Computer Science Department
    ekrell@ucla-locus.arpa      ..!{sdcrdcf,ihnp4,trwspp,ucbvax}!ucla-cs!ekrell

ka@hropus.UUCP (Kenneth Almquist) (02/11/86)

> With the Dow now breaking 1600 yesterday, I was wandering how much of
> that reflects the Dow's ability to pick companies rather than the
> actual state of the market.

When it comes to bad stock picks, few people can beat the people who
select the stocks to be included in the Dow.  Depending on how you
figure it, every change to the list of stocks in the Dow has consisted
of replacing better performing stocks with worse performing stocks.
In practice the Dow does a reasonable job of reflecting the market,
although it underperforms it over the long term.  The S&P 500 index is
better than the Dow, although it has a lot of oil stocks in it.
				Kenneth Almquist
				ihnp4!houxm!hropus!ka	(official name)
				ihnp4!opus!ka		(shorter path)

morse@leadsv.UUCP (Terry Morse) (02/12/86)

The Dow Jones 30 is tinkered with from time to time.  The latest thing they
did was to remove Chrysler and add IBM.  Since then Chrysler practically
skyrocketed and IBM just plodded along.  If they hadn't tinkered with these
two Dow components, the Dow Jones 30 would now be over 2000.  So remember
how narrowly based the Dow 30 really is.  Take a look at the S&P 500 for a
better indication of market performance.  If the news media would quote a
better indicator, then we could all begin to ignore the Dow 30.
--

Terry Morse  (408)743-1487
{ hplabs!cae780 } | { ihnp4!sun!sunncal } !leadsv!morse

jin@hropus.UUCP (Jerry) (02/13/86)

Early in my 2.5 year sojourn at Dow Jones and Company (Information
Services Division) I wrote a program that was to be used to provide the
Dow Jones Averages (tm) to the rest of the corporation.  In the past I
taught that the industrial average represents the mean value of one
share each of the original 30 stocks adjusted for splits, mergers,
substitutions, and etc.  To my surprise the average is *still* computed
as a simple sum of of the 30 stock prices divided by a magic number
published weekly in the Wall Street Journal (either Monday or Friday
I think).  Not only do the averages lack current relevence, they lack
their purported historical relevence also.

				Cheers,
				Jerry Natowitz
				ihnp4!houxm!hropus

lat@druil.UUCP (TepperL) (02/13/86)

From: morse@leadsv.UUCP (Terry Morse)
> ....  If they hadn't tinkered with these
> two Dow components, the Dow Jones 30 would now be over 2000.  So remember
> how narrowly based the Dow 30 really is.  Take a look at the S&P 500 for a
> better indication of market performance.

Seems to me there was a discussion of this (DJ vs. S&P) on NPR about a
month ago.  Or was is PBS?  Anyway, some analyst was talking about how
selective the DJ was, and ended with a quip something like ... "The
Dow Jones has correctly predicted 11 of the last 4 recessions."

Huh?  Oh.
--
Larry Tepper	    {ihnp4 | allegra}!drutx!druil!lat		+1-303-538-1759