[net.invest] socially responsible investment

marcus@wanginst.UUCP (Bob Marcus) (03/04/86)

In article <10980001@acf8.UUCP> schwrtze@acf8.UUCP (E. Schwartz group) writes:

>	I am at a point in my life where i have begun to think about [small]
>investments.  My concern is what my money ends up supporting.  I am seeking
>any info folks might have on politically/socially responsible investment
>companies (Money Market or Mutual Funds, stock brokers, etc).

I clipped an article from USAIR's in-flight magazine a couple of years ago,
which lists mutual funds and investment firms specializing in social
investments.  According to the article they all have different economic and
social criteria for selecting their portfolios.  Please bear in mind that the
article is two or three years old, so some information may be out of date.
I haven't contacted any of these firms myself.

	Calvert Social Investment Fund
	1700 Pennsylvania Ave. N.W.
	Washington, D.C. 20006
	(800) 368-2748
	Min. Investment: $1,000

	Dreyfus Third Century Fund
	600 Madison Ave.
	New York, NY 10022
	(800) 645-6561 [in NY (516) 794-5200]
	Min. Investment: $2,500

	Pax World Fund
	224 State Street
	Portsmouth, NH 03801
	(603) 431-8022
	Min. Investment: $250

	Working Assets Money Fund
	1427 Shrader Street
	San Francisco, CA 94117
	(415) 664-6812
	Min. Investment: $1,000

I'm omitting the two firms with a minimum of $100,000.  Let me know if you
require this information :-)
--
Bob Marcus                               marcus@wanginst        (Csnet)
Wang Institute of Graduate Studies       wanginst!marcus        (UUCP)

mazlack@ernie.berkeley.edu (Lawrence J. Mazlack) (03/11/86)

>I clipped an article from USAIR's in-flight magazine a couple of years ago,
>which lists mutual funds and investment firms specializing in social
>investments.  According to the article they all have different economic and
>social criteria for selecting their portfolios.  Please bear in mind that the
>article is two or three years old, so some information may be out of date.
>I haven't contacted any of these firms myself.

.
.
.
>	Dreyfus Third Century Fund
>	600 Madison Ave.
>	New York, NY 10022
>	(800) 645-6561 [in NY (516) 794-5200]
>	Min. Investment: $2,500

Drefus likes to call itself a socially responsible mutual fund but only
meets that criteria by the most generous interpretation.

...Larry Mazlack