[net.invest] Tax consequences of common stock gains/losses query

geopi@hou2e.UUCP (G.COTSONAS) (02/25/86)

Suppose you made various purchases of a stock over a period of time,
and sold different portions of the portfolio over a period of time,
at various prices,
such that there are both short and long term losses/gains.

How are the holding periods required to be reported, insofar as the
entire portfolio is held and commingled in a broker's account?

Must the earliest sales be matched with the earliest purchases,
et cetera, for tax purposes?

E.g. buy x1 shares at date d1,
         x2 shares at date d2,
         x3 shares at date d3,
then
     sell x4 shares at date d4,
          x5 shares at date d5,
          x6 shares at date d6,
where
     none of the x's are equal,
     all prices are different,
     (x1+x2+x3)==(x4+x5+x6),
     some of the buy-to-sell periods are short, some long
     and some sales are gains some losses.

In article <825@hou2e.UUCP> geopi@hou2e.UUCP (G.COTSONAS) writes:
>How are the holding periods required to be reported, insofar as the
>entire portfolio is held and commingled in a broker's account?
>
>Must the earliest sales be matched with the earliest purchases,
>et cetera, for tax purposes?

I am not entirely certain, but I think you are permitted to either match
earliest with earliest, or earliest with latest.  I'm not sure if you are
supposed to be consistent about this, or can mix and match any way you like.

If it makes much difference to you, I would recommend talking to an
accountant.

mazlack@ernie.berkeley.edu (Lawrence J. Mazlack) (03/11/86)

>>Must the earliest sales be matched with the earliest purchases,
>>et cetera, for tax purposes?

No, it is your choice. Just make sure that if you sell at different
times that the certificates that you send in meet your tax, etc. needs.

Larry Mazlack
  UUCP		{tektronix,dual,sun,ihnp4,decvax}!ucbvax!ucbernie!mazlack
  New style	mazlack@ernie.berkeley.edu
  ARPA | CSNET	mazlack%ernie@berkeley.ARPA
  BITNET   	mazlack@ucbernie.BITNET
  telephone     (415) 528-0496
  snail         CS Dept, 571 Evans, U. California, Berkeley, CA 94720