[net.invest] For sale by owner--pros and cons

king@kestrel.ARPA (Dick King) (03/17/86)

   From: dberg@noscvax.UUCP (David I. Berg)
   Newsgroups: net.invest
   Date: 13 Mar 86 15:06:23 GMT

   In article <1435@ames.UUCP>, moose@ames.UUCP (Mary Kaiser) writes:
   > ... could anyone out there provide useful input on the pros and
   > cons of buying a house from the owner.  Basically, I guess the
   > question is whether the seller would pass on enough of his/her
   > savings to make it worth our time and/or risk.

   My experience is limited to the selling of one house and the buying
   and selling of a couple of parcels of vacant land, but for what
   it's worth I would stick with a R.E agent.  (My first house was
   bought from a R.E. broker, so he acted as his own agent and my
   second house was bought new, so it doesn't apply.)  There are
   enough little nits that can really nickel and dime one's time away
   when selling property; if the seller doesn't stay on top of them
   the buyer may find him/herself spending a lot of time making sure
   things get done so escrow can close on time.  (And speaking of
   escrow, I have found that escrow companies do next to nothing to
   help either buyer or seller in a R.E. transaction.)  When I sold my
   first house, I carefully selected a R.E. agent who would spend the
   time making sure all these little nits got done.  The buyer was
   able to relax with the confidence that things were taken care of,
   and my time was freed to do the things I had to do outside of
   selling the property.

This really sounds like an opportunity for a book with an accurate
checklist.  Does anyone know of any?