[net.sport.hockey] Dick & Dan - FLAME

sadowski (05/10/83)

Relay-Version:version B 3/9/83; site alice.UUCP
Date:Tue, 10-May-83 15:38:14 EDT

		An outright flame.

	This regards that obnoxious excuse for a play-by-play duo for
"Hockey Night in Canada" that is otherwise known as "Danny Gallivan and
Dick Irvin".

	Contrary to what Mr. Irvin purported on May 5th's broadcast,
there has been a Canadian team in the Final since 1979. Mr. Irvin
would not have to tax his memory that much to realize that the Vancouver
Canucks were in the final last year (1982)! Vancouver was and as far as
I know still is in Canada. Maybe there hasn't been a Canadiens team
since 79 as that seems to be the only thing Mr. Irvin is capable of
knowledgably talking about. Mr. Irvin gushes unashamedly over the
Montreal Canadiens and whines stridently whenever they lose. He comes up
the with most contrived excuses for their losses. Lately he has been
getting a lot of practice.

	Mr. Gallivan, on the other hand, views describing hockey plays
as an excuse for airing his sesquipedalian words for which he spends
sleepless nights combing his overused thesaurus rather than his
underused dictionary. During the May 5th broadcast, Mr. Gallivan said,
"The Oilers have experienced the maturation necessary for any team
to have a successful playoff drive." According to my dictionary,
maturation is the process of maturing. Does this mean that a team
that is already mature, and therefore incapable of experiencing
maturation, unable to have a successful playoff drive? I guess this
does not bode well for the Islanders.

	I know there are people out there who view "Dick & Dan" as
the best announcing team, but I would much rather have Jim Robson paired
with anybody (including Howie Meeker) over these hollow shadows of their
once commendable selves.

					Ed Sadowski