[net.sport.hockey] GINO quote

pal@crystal.ARPA (11/22/83)

I have to agree with Matt Noah on this one.  Although I am not a big fan of
North Dakota, at least in years past, I feel they got a raw deal last year.
At the end, it game down to one goal in triple overtime after a two-game series
that knocked them out of the WCHA playoffs, and a win there would have given
them the NCAA bid instead of Wisconsin, the eventual champions.
Some facts:
North Dakota and Wisconsin have won alternate championships (NCAA) the last
four years.
Last year, when Harvard upset Minnesota, was the first time in since 1978 that
there was a non-WCHA team in the NCAA final.
1980 (North Dakota championship year) was the only time since 1970 that neither
Wisconsin nor Minnesota was in the NCAA final four.

There is really no doubt that the WCHA is the strongest league going.  The only
reasonable solution seems to be to merge the WCHA and the CCHA.  This was
proposed last year, and there was to be a single western league, with two
divisions (East and West), some interdivisional play during the regular season,
and an interdivisional playoff.  It was hoped that the divisions would reduce
travel costs (the major motivation for Michig* and Notre Dame leaving the WCHA)
The plan fell through, but may be resurrected next year.  Also, the upper Mich.
schools have found that they are losing revenue by not playing the big names,
and Notre Dame dropped hockey for the same reason.  They may be tempted to
return to the fold, along with Chicago-Circle (which is not yet quite upto WCHA
standards, but is apparently a young team. They come to Madison this weekend,
more on them then!!).
What news from the CCHA?  At last word, Ohio State were unbeaten, and ranked #1
in the nation (HA!!) as a result.  Probably still are, with Minn. and ND being
swept the past two weeks. Sigh!
<flame off>

jmh@wnbpwb.UUCP (11/23/83)

What Gino quote are you referring to?  Somewhere I missed it.

Also does anyone know how the WMPL poll has turned out, lately?

Jon Hanrath (wnbpwb!jmh)

pal@crystal.ARPA (11/24/83)

The quote was posted by me a while ago.  Apparently didn't reach you.
Hope this one does. The quote was from Gino Gasparini, North Dakota coach,
on the strength of the CCHA. "We (Minn., N.D., Wisc.) could put our Junior
Varsity teams in that league and they would finish above .500".
Latest WMPL poll I saw (Mon.21 ) was roughly:
1. Ohio State
2. Minnesota
3. Bowling Green
4. North Dakota
5. Wisconsin
6. Michigan State
7. Michigan Tech (6&7 may be reversed)
8. Don't remember the rest, but RPI was in there somewhere
Incidentally, the WMPL poll is based on 10 coaches' opinions.  WMPL is in
Hancock, Michigan.  I bet almost all the coaches are CCHA coaches.

pal@crystal.UUCP (11/24/83)