[net.sport.hockey] WCHA vs. Hockey East

oper@uwmacc.UUCP (Unix operator) (12/02/84)

<No matter where you go, there you are...>

In article <217@dscvax2.UUCP> mn@dscvax2.UUCP (Matt Noah) writes:
>What are the standings in the new SuperLeague of Eastern and Western
>powers?

	As of Nov. 30 (halfway through the weekend schedule) the standings
in each league are...
			      --------
			      | WCHA |
			      --------
--------------------    W   L   T  PTS   GF   GA
(1)Minnesota           11   2   2   24   80   41
(2)Michigan Tech.       8   5   0   16   58   39
(3)Minnesota-Duluth     7   3   1   15   48   33
(4)North Dakota         6   4   1   13   55   42
(5)Northern Michigan    6   7   0   12   64   59
(6)Colorado College     6   5   0   12   46   49
(7)Denver               4   6   2   10   53   64
(8)Wisconsin (sigh!)    4   7   0    8   48   57
--------------------   ==  ==  ==
		       52  39   6

			   ---------------
			   | HOCKEY EAST |
			   ---------------
--------------------    W   L   T  PTS   GF   GA
(1)Providence           7   5   1   15   53   45
(2)Boston College       7   5   0   14   54   54
(3)Northeastern         7   7   0   14   55   62
(4)Boston University    6   4   1   13   42   40
(5)Lowell               5   8   0   10   56   66
(6)Maine                2   9   0    4   27   60
(7)New Hampshire        1  10   0    2   28   50
--------------------   ==  ==  ==
		       35  48   2

	The two leagues never really merged.  Instead they play inter-league
games that count in both leagues standings.

	Since the WCHA has 13 more wins than losses and Hockey East has 13
more losses than wins, it stands to reason that the WCHA has been getting the
better of the Hockey East teams in the inter-league games. (It should be even
more lop-sided, but Wisconsin had a victory stolen away in Providence by the
officials when they (1) disallowed a Wisconsin goal that was clearly in, and
(2) the winning goal in overtime was later shown on replay to never have gone
in the net. Grrr!!)

>...most fans are terribly upset that Wisconsin is [not] making a
>trip to UND this year due to SuperLeague committments.

	Wisconsin fans are also upset because Minnesota will not be coming
into the Dane County Colliseum this season.  I guess it's just one of those
things that happen when you have to organize a schedule between 15 teams
in a very short time.  There just aren't enough games in the season to give
all the WCHA teams 4 games against each other and still play 2 games against
the 7 Hockey East teams.  Hopefully the bugs will be out of the scheduling
procedure for next season.

	It's interesting that ND fans are upset over Wisconsin not playing
in Greater Grand Forks this year since Wisconsin has a 15-10-3 (or so) record
against the Sioux in North Dakota, but only a 1-8-1 record against them over
the last ten games when they've played in Madison.

	Wisconsin overcame tradition last night, however, when they defeated
North Dakota here in Madison by a score of 6-5 in overtime.  (Go RED!!)

>I've heard RPI is supposedly very good this year - any amens?

	No "amens", but I've heard the same thing.  Any solid info on the
RPI team out there??

	Steve Manning, Madison Academic Computing Center

...!{allegra,heurikon,ihnp4,seismo,uwm-evax}!uwvax!uwmacc!oper

preston@fortune.UUCP (Carol Preston) (12/04/84)

In article <510@uwmacc.UUCP> oper@uwmacc.UUCP (Unix operator c/o Steve Manning) writes:
>			      --------
>			      | WCHA |
>			      --------
>--------------------    W   L   T  PTS   GF   GA
>(1)Minnesota           11   2   2   24   80   41
>(2)Michigan Tech.       8   5   0   16   58   39
>(3)Minnesota-Duluth     7   3   1   15   48   33
>(4)North Dakota         6   4   1   13   55   42
>(5)Northern Michigan    6   7   0   12   64   59
>(6)Colorado College     6   5   0   12   46   49
>(7)Denver               4   6   2   10   53   64
>(8)Wisconsin (sigh!)    4   7   0    8   48   57
>--------------------   ==  ==  ==

I must have missed something.  I went to Michigan State when they were in the
WCHA.  I knew that in 1981, they (along with Michigan, Michigan Tech. and
Notre Dame) 'defected' into the CCHA.  When did Michigan Tech and Northern
Michigan join the WCHA?  Who is left in the CCHA?  Why didn't the WCHA work
out something with the CCHA?  I don't have any idea why Michigan State joined
the CCHA anyway (besides less travel expenses).

--
    Carol Preston
    {sri-unix, amd, hpda, harpo, ihnp4, allegra}!fortune!preston

ritzenth@bgsuvax.UUCP (Phil Ritzenthaler) (12/13/84)

I am sick and tired of sport fans from the other conferences down-grading
the CCHA.

preston@fortune.UUCP writes:
>When did MIchigan Tech and Northern Michigan join the WCHA?  Who is left
>in the CCHA? . . . I don't have any idea why Michigan State joined the
>CCHA anyway . . .

Obviously, living out in California has kept you out of touch with college
hockey!

I would say that last year the CCHA had the toughest league in the country.
It took 4 ot's, but Bowling Green proved that it could take the best the
East and the WCHA had to offer and they still became the NCAA Champs.

As to who is left . . . how about your alma mater, they're still in the
league.  And don't forget us, we are, after all, the reigning NCAA
champs.

I think that after all the bad things that SOME (but not all) of the
fans from other leagues have said about our league . . . it is about time
they eat their words.

Enough said!

                                      Phil Ritzenthaler
                                      (a BGSU hockey fan and proud of it!)