[net.sport.hockey] Goring to Boston

citrin@ucbvax.ARPA (Wayne Citrin) (01/11/85)

Could someone explain how the Bruins picked up Butch Goring on waivers?
As I understand waivers, a player must go through waivers if his team
attempts to reassign him somehow (to the minors, for example).  I can't
see the Islanders trying to send Goring to the minors, though, and I
don't think his contract would even allow it.  The New York papers were not
clear on the waivers procedure, and Jiggs and Eddie didn't explain it on
the Isles' broadcast the night after it happenned.

Also, I can see why the Islanders would want to unload Goring (and there are a
number of other players that I think they should unload; Gillies and Persson
come to mind), but why should they let him go for so little? ($100?)
I thought that if a player is claimed on waivers his team can withdraw
whatever it planned to do with him.  When the Bruins showed interest by
claiming Goring, why didn't the Islanders withdraw him and try dealing for
something like a draft pick, if nothing else.  The Bruins certainly
need help at center this year, with Barry Pederson out for the year and
maybe for good.  They might have given up something reasonable for Goring,
even though he will probably be retiring after this year.

Wayne Citrin
(ucbvax!citrin)

haapanen@watdcsu.UUCP (Tom Haapanen [DCS]) (01/12/85)

In article <4133@ucbvax.ARPA> citrin@ucbvax.UUCP (Wayne citrin) writes:
> Could someone explain how the Bruins picked up Butch Goring on waivers?
>
> Also, I can see why the Islanders would want to unload Goring (and there are a
> number of other players that I think they should unload; Gillies and Persson
> come to mind), but why should they let him go for so little? ($100?)
>                                                ...  The Bruins certainly
> need help at center this year, with Barry Pederson out for the year and
> maybe for good.  They might have given up something reasonable for Goring,
> even though he will probably be retiring after this year.

Islanders' GM Bill Torrey and  Bruins' GM Harry Sinden are good
buddies.  It may be that Torrey didn't see Goring really fitting into
his plans, and decided to give Sinden a helping hand.  The Bruins are really
hurting in terms of injuries, and are falling behind the 'Surging
Sabres'.  The same problem is now catching up with the Canadiens, who
areeffectively tied with the Sabres going into tonight's matchup at
the fabulous Forum.

			\tom haapanen
			watmath!watdcsu!haapanen