[net.sport.hockey] Not so awesome Oilers

rick@ucla-cs.UUCP (05/13/85)

<<< flame is on simmer, captain >>>

Well, Oiler fans, any excuses lined up? Chicago has now done the near
impossible (to listen to some members of the media and net) by tying
their series with the Oilers. How does it feel to be on the other end
of a blowout? Not so nice is it? What's that you say? The Oilers got
two goals at the end to make it close? Tee hee, they did indeed, thanks
to some of the most incredibly bad officiating I've seen - the Hawks
weren't allowed to touch the Oilers (two of the worst slashing penalties
I have ever seen called in the 3rd) while Mcclelland was allowed to
roam the ice creating mayhem (a vicious elbow behind the net - everyone
sort of stopped EXPECTING a penalty, and a charge and butt-end after
the whistle was blown). Yep, I just love to watch the crystal clean
Oilers fly up and down the ice :-). Sometimes I think I'm watching a
basketball game with the number of (uncalled, of course) picks being
set - those used to be penalties for interference weren't they? Ah, well
we only have to watch the Oilers goon it up for 2 more games anyway :-).
--

			       Rick Gillespie
				  rick@ucla-cs

	"She turned me into a newt! . . . I got better."

ken@alberta.UUCP (Ken Hruday) (05/17/85)

In article <5388@ucla-cs.ARPA> rick@ucla-cs.UUCP writes:
>Well, Oiler fans, any excuses lined up? Chicago has now done the near
>impossible (to listen to some members of the media and net) by tying
>their series with the Oilers. How does it feel to be on the other end
>of a blowout? Not so nice is it? What's that you say? The Oilers got
>two goals at the end to make it close? Tee hee, they did indeed, thanks
>to some of the most incredibly bad officiating I've seen - the Hawks
>weren't allowed to touch the Oilers (two of the worst slashing penalties
>I have ever seen called in the 3rd) while Mcclelland was allowed to
>roam the ice creating mayhem (a vicious elbow behind the net - everyone
>sort of stopped EXPECTING a penalty, and a charge and butt-end after
>the whistle was blown). Yep, I just love to watch the crystal clean
>Oilers fly up and down the ice :-). Sometimes I think I'm watching a
>basketball game with the number of (uncalled, of course) picks being
>set - those used to be penalties for interference weren't they? Ah, well
>we only have to watch the Oilers goon it up for 2 more games anyway :-).

Of course I can't speak for all Oiler fans, but I was totally blown away
by this logical "tour de force". It is difficult to rebut such a cool,
rational, and objective arguement but I feel duty bound to try ...

			       __________
			      /          \
			     /    REST    \
			    /      IN      \
			   /     PEACE      \
			  /                  \
			  |   The Chicago    |
			  |   Black Hawks    |
			  | Final Score: 8-2 |
			  |  (A Blow-out)    |
			  |  killed by the   |
			  |     Oilers       |
			  |  May 16, 1985    |
			 *|     *  *  *      | *
		 ________)/\\_//(\/(/\)/\//\/|_)_______

P.S. You were right about one thing Rick - they only had to play 2 more
games :-) .

					Ken Hruday
				  University of Alberta

lake@alberta.UUCP (Robert Lake) (05/17/85)

Well, the series against Chicago ended last night in a fairly convincing
manner.  The Oilers looked very good and Chicago, as they appeared in
game 5, were tired and not mentally prepared for the game.  I do, however,
give the Black Hawks credit for games 3 and 4 - they showed a lot of heart
and played very well!  However, they still have problems defensively and
this did them in at the end.  Also, for Chicago to perform effectively,
they must have production from Savard.  To me, it's Savard's problem if he
allows Sather's psychological ploys to affect his style of play.  Also,
Billy Carroll was very effective in shutting him down in game 6.

Now it is time for the finals to begin.  From all appearances, this should
be a great test of the "offence vs. defence" discussion which has been
going on lately.  A few weeks ago I had predicted the Flyers over the
Oilers in 6, but now that the Oilers have come out their season-end slump,
I have to change my mind.  They are the defending Champions, they are in
their prime, Philadelphia has their top scorers hurting, and I think the
Oiler offence will beat the Flyer defence.  In spite of Philadelphia having
the home ice advantage, I will take the Oilers in 5 or 6.

					Robert Lake (alberta!lake)
					University of Alberta