[net.sport.hockey] give NHL teams a more local flavour

jeff@dciem.UUCP (Jeff Richardson) (05/30/85)

As I said in my last article, if we have a couple of American teams
transferring to Canada, we could have a Canadian Conference and an American
Conference, possibly with the winners of each meeting in the finals.
The NHL executives would like that because it would guarantee a US-based
team in the finals, and they could try to promote it to TV audiences as
"USA vs. the rest of the world", a marketing strategy that seems to work
well in other sports.  This would work even better if the American teams
were more American and the Canadian teams were more Canadian.  With the
increasing number of great players coming out of the US, I think it would
be possible to develop a fair and reasonable scheme that would allow that,
especially if the ratio of Canadian to American teams was higher than it is
now.

One possibility would be to have the current NHL entry draft preceded by
territorial draft.  In the territorial draft, each NHL team would be assigned
its own local territory (the territories would be assigned after a careful
analysis of where all the NHL players have come from over the years), and it
would be permitted to draft only players from that area.  The territorial
draft could go for three rounds, and then the regular entry draft would be
used to distribute the remaining players.  To make up for the fact that the
territorial system is not as beneficial for the weaker teams as the current
system, the entry draft phase could be changed so that each team picked two
players at a time.  Since most NHL players still come out of Canada, but
there are more American teams, the American teams' territories would not
have as much total player potential as the Canadian teams' territories,
assuming all of Canada is divided up among the Canadian teams and all of
the US is divided up among the American teams.  That can be compensated
for by allowing the American teams to pick more players in the territorial
draft (say, 5 or 6 vs. 3 for the Canadian teams) and making Europe part of
the American teams' territories.

There are several advantages to giving the teams more local flavour, ranging
from allowing the fans to better identify with their team, thereby increasing
fan interest, to making it beneficial for teams to spend money improving
the local and regional hockey leagues for young players.

I'd love to hear some comments on this idea.
--
Jeff Richardson, DCIEM, Toronto  (416) 635-2073
{linus,ihnp4,uw-beaver,floyd}!utcsri!dciem!jeff

rick@ucla-cs.UUCP (06/05/85)

In article <1564@dciem.UUCP> jeff@dciem.UUCP (Jeff Richardson) writes:
>One possibility would be to have the current NHL entry draft preceded by
>territorial draft.  In the territorial draft, each NHL team would be assigned
>its own local territory (the territories would be assigned after a careful
>analysis of where all the NHL players have come from over the years), and it
>would be permitted to draft only players from that area.

You MUST be a Leafs fan, Jeff, because they would be about the only team to
benefit. Ontario supplies more NHL players than any other region on the
continent. I haven't got the stats handy but I assume a significant number
of those are from the Toronto area. But, nonetheless, let's examine the
possibilities.
For argument's sake let's move the Penguins to Hamilton and the Devils to
Saskatoon. We then have conferences and divisions sort of like:

	Canadian Conference			USA Conference
    East		West		   East	      	      West
    Quebec              Vancouver          Hartford           Los Angeles
    Montreal            Calgary            Boston             St Louis
    Toronto             Edmonton           NY Islanders	      Minnesota
    Hamilton            Saskatoon	   NY Rangers	      Chicago
    Buffalo	        Winnipeg	   Philadelphia	      Detroit
					   Washington
(I arbitrarily moved Buffalo to Canada, no one else wants the city anyway :-)).

Would you want to have the territorial rights of, say, Los Angeles. There
are as many NHL caliber players here as there are NBA players in Toronto
(with apologies to Leo Rautins). You could give LA all the players in the
western USA and it wouldn't be close. The only American teams with a chance
to prosper are the New York teams (I wouldn't want to define the territories
there), Hartford, Boston, and Minnesota. Detroit (with that Compuware team
locally) and Chicago, too, maybe. And the caliber of players from those areas,
in general, isn't as good as Junior A players in Canada. No, I'm afraid that
this isn't going to work Jeff - you can't legislate the American teams to
cut their own throats.
But, Jeff offers a solution:

>               ...  Since most NHL players still come out of Canada, but
>there are more American teams, the American teams' territories would not
>have as much total player potential as the Canadian teams' territories,
>assuming all of Canada is divided up among the Canadian teams and all of
>the US is divided up among the American teams.  That can be compensated
>for by allowing the American teams to pick more players in the territorial
>draft (say, 5 or 6 vs. 3 for the Canadian teams) and making Europe part of
>the American teams' territories.

Great, they can have 5 or 6 awful players that will never make the NHL as
opposed to 3 that have a solid chance. Even throwing in Europe isn't going
to help much.

>There are several advantages to giving the teams more local flavour, ranging
>from allowing the fans to better identify with their team, thereby increasing
>fan interest, to making it beneficial for teams to spend money improving
>the local and regional hockey leagues for young players.

I can only think of 2 examples of this: the Rangers with Fotiu, and the
Black Hawks with Olczyk. The Rangers bow to the fans by playing Fotiu who
is a marginal player. They don't get anything out of it, they just hurt
themselves. The Hawks have a good player in Olczyk so he is a good example
for you. However, I think he is something of a fluke.

>I'd love to hear some comments on this idea.

Ok, the idea is bad. But interesting to think about.
--
   Rick Gillespie
      ARPANET:	rick@ucla-locus.ARPA	or (soon) rick@LOCUS.UCLA.EDU

jeff@dciem.UUCP (Jeff Richardson) (06/11/85)

>In article <1564@dciem.UUCP> jeff@dciem.UUCP (Jeff Richardson) writes:
>>One possibility would be to have the current NHL entry draft preceded by
>>territorial draft.  In the territorial draft, each NHL team would be assigned
>>its own local territory (the territories would be assigned after a careful
>>analysis of where all the NHL players have come from over the years), and it
>>would be permitted to draft only players from that area.
>
>You MUST be a Leafs fan, Jeff, because they would be about the only team to
>benefit. Ontario supplies more NHL players than any other region on the
>continent.

I'm not a Leafs fan now, but since they're on TV and in town more than any other
team, I'd like to see them get better and then I probably would be a fan.
But that's beside the point.  I said that a careful analysis would be done
before the territories were assigned, to ensure that no team gets an advantage.
If that many more players come from Ontario, then the province would be
divided up among Winnipeg, Montreal and Hamilton as well as Toronto.  No team
would benefit talent-wise, but all would benefit by increased fan interest.

>For argument's sake let's move the Penguins to Hamilton and the Devils to
>Saskatoon. We then have conferences and divisions sort of like:
>
>	Canadian Conference			USA Conference
>    East		West		   East	      	      West
>    Quebec              Vancouver          Hartford           Los Angeles
>    Montreal            Calgary            Boston             St Louis
>    Toronto             Edmonton           NY Islanders       Minnesota
>    Hamilton            Saskatoon	   NY Rangers	      Chicago
>    Buffalo	        Winnipeg	   Philadelphia	      Detroit
>                                          Washington

It's really a different subject, but those look like great divisions,
especially in the Canadian conference where you have the same East vs.
West rivalry that the Canadian Football League has proven successful
(By the way, I must admit that the CFL did have territorial picks until this
year, and they didn't seem to make much difference, but I think that's because
they didn't have enough of them, and they often got traded away anyway.),
plus a Canada vs. US final on top of that.  I know a lot of people here
that were cheering for the Oilers in this year's final just because they
wanted to "keep the Cup in Canada."  The advantage for the US teams would be
guaranteeing an American championship, followed by a US vs. Canada final.
Getting back to the original topic, I think the American championship and the
US vs. Canada final would mean more to the American fans if the teams had more
of a local flavour.

>Would you want to have the territorial rights of, say, Los Angeles.
>....The only American teams with a chance
>to prosper are the New York teams (I wouldn't want to define the territories
>there), Hartford, Boston, and Minnesota. Detroit (with that Compuware team
>locally) and Chicago, too, maybe.

That 7 of 12 (again assuming Pittsburgh and Jersey move to Canada), which is
not a bad percentage.  The Kings would have to be given a very large area,
but I'm sure it could be done.  They wouldn't have much local flavour, but
they would probably end up with more American players, which is probably good.

>And the caliber of players from those areas,
>in general, isn't as good as Junior A players in Canada. No, I'm afraid that
>this isn't going to work Jeff - you can't legislate the American teams to
>cut their own throats.
>But, Jeff offers a solution:
>
>>               ...  Since most NHL players still come out of Canada, but
>>there are more American teams, the American teams' territories would not
>>have as much total player potential as the Canadian teams' territories,
>>assuming all of Canada is divided up among the Canadian teams and all of
>>the US is divided up among the American teams.  That can be compensated
>>for by allowing the American teams to pick more players in the territorial
>>draft (say, 5 or 6 vs. 3 for the Canadian teams) and making Europe part of
>>the American teams' territories.
>
>Great, they can have 5 or 6 awful players that will never make the NHL as
>opposed to 3 that have a solid chance. Even throwing in Europe isn't going
>to help much.

I think you're underestimating American and European hockey talent, but
you're right; that idea probably won't work.  Hovever, there are other
ways of making it so that the American teams aren't disadvantaged.
Here's my latest plan:  Suppose 75% of the young NHL talent comes from
Canada.  (I'm talking about total talent, not necessarily just number of
players, i.e. if 80% of the star players come from Canada but only 70% of
all players do, that must be considered.  That's where the "careful analysis"
I mentioned above comes in.)  Divide up all of the US equally among the
American teams, (giving Detroit and Buffalo small parts of Ontario too may
be worth considering) but divide up only about two-thirds of Canada among the
Canadian teams, leaving the rest of the world and about one-third of Canada
neutral.  The players from the neutral areas go into the regular phase of
the draft along with the players not picked in the territorial draft.  The
American teams should then be given first crack at the players from the
neutral areas by allowing them N picks (where N is about half of the number
of territorial picks each Canadian team gets, or whatever number seems to
be appropriate according to the careful analysis) in the regular phase of the
draft before the Canadian teams get any.  I'm sure this is the best way to
do it.  It maximises local flavour while still guaranteeing fairness to all
teams.

>>There are several advantages to giving the teams more local flavour, ranging
>>from allowing the fans to better identify with their team, thereby increasing
>>fan interest, to making it beneficial for teams to spend money improving
>>the local and regional hockey leagues for young players.
>
>I can only think of 2 examples of this: the Rangers with Fotiu, and the
>Black Hawks with Olczyk. The Rangers bow to the fans by playing Fotiu who
>is a marginal player. They don't get anything out of it, they just hurt
>themselves. The Hawks have a good player in Olczyk so he is a good example
>for you. However, I think he is something of a fluke.

The Fotiu example proves my claim that the fans would like to see local
heroes on their team.  If they had more New Yorkers, they wouldn't have had
to play Fotiu to satisfy the fans.  With my scheme there would be a lot more
Ed Olczyks.  Let's not forget that this would help the Canadian teams too.
I've heard that Lanny McDonald is in greater demand for endorsements in
Alberta than Gretzky is (McDonald's from Alberta but the Flames had to trade
a lot to get him back there), and I'm sure the Canadiens and Nordiques would be
more popular if their teams were led by French-Canadian players instead of
Americans and Czechs.  It would be a better rivalry too because it would
mean something to the players as well as the fans.

>>I'd love to hear some comments on this idea.
>
>Ok, the idea is bad. But interesting to think about.
>--
>   Rick Gillespie

I've thought about it and now that I've come up with the new plan I've
described above, I'm convinced that it's a great idea.  Even if it
increases fan interest for only half of the teams in the league, it will be
of great benefit to everybody.