[net.sport.hockey] Guy LaFleur

jeff@dciem.UUCP (Jeff Richardson) (12/05/84)

Guy Lafleur has just ended his distinguished career with the Montreal
Canadiens.  Some people are glad because it was a shame to see him playing
as a shadow of his former self, while others are disappointed because they
figure he still had a couple of good years left.  Unfortunately, I don't
get to see enough Canadiens games, but judging by the few I saw this season,
I thought he could still be useful, but he wasn't given enough ice time,
and Lafleur's the type of player who needs the ice time.  Some of my friends
said that Jacques Lemaire (Canadiens' coach and Lafleur's former linemate)
tried giving him more ice time, but he couldn't handle it anymore.  However,
they probably haven't seen any more Canadiens games than I have.  All of
what I've heard from the media is just speculation.  Don Cherry thinks he
was pushed to retire.  Does anybody know the real story?  Did he get a raw
deal, or a fair chance?
--
Jeff Richardson, DCIEM, Toronto  (416) 635-2073
{linus,ihnp4,uw-beaver,floyd}!utcsrgv!dciem!jeff

haapanen@watdcsu.UUCP (Tom Haapanen [DCS]) (12/08/84)

< Nami nami nami nami nami ... >

As I see it, Guy (who was always one of my favourite players) retired
for two reasons:
	(1) The team (read: Lemaire and Savard) felt that it would be
	    better for him to to retire rather than struggle along with
	    minimal production and icetime.  retire while you're still
	    at the top (or near it anyway).
	(2) Lafleur was becoming frustrated because he was (a) not
	    producing, and (b) not getting the ice time since he was
	    not producing.

It is fairly obvious that Lafleur did not fit Lemaire's game plan
(tight, defensive checking game) but if he had been in the form he was
in the mid-70s I'm sure he would have been on the ice for 30 minutes a
game.  However, with his waning goal production and the Canadiens' new
style, he was put on a checking line (!), and even then he was getting
little ice time.  He no longer fit into their plans.

There is no question that Lemaire's approach is working, but it is
definitely sad that Lafleur had to go.  Fortunately, though, at least
his sweater is being retired (at a game against the Sabres in February
(why couldn't they do it at a Boston game?  It's much more traditional
rivalry, and Lafleur has playd many a great game against the Bruins.)).

			\tom haapanen
			watmath!watdcsu!haapanen
Newsgroups: net.sport.hockey
Subject: Re: Guy Lafleur

citrin@ucbvax.ARPA (Wayne Citrin) (12/10/84)

In article <753@watdcsu.UUCP> haapanen@watdcsu.UUCP (Tom Haapanen [DCS]) writes:
>definitely sad that Lafleur had to go.  Fortunately, though, at least
>his sweater is being retired (at a game against the Sabres in February
>(why couldn't they do it at a Boston game?  It's much more traditional
>rivalry, and Lafleur has playd many a great game against the Bruins.)).

My guess is that it's being done at a game with Buffalo because Scotty Bowman
is the coach there, and this way he can participate in the ceremonies.

Wayne Citrin
(ucbvax!citrin)

cpr0@bunny.UUCP (C. Rosebrugh) (09/30/85)

I'd like to hear what fans of other teams think of Guy LaFleur & the
possibility of him playing for YOUR favorite team. It looks as though,
if he does come back to play, he'll go to New York (probably the Rangers),
LA, or the Jets. I've been a Hab fan all my life and would love to see
him go to some fast skating, free wheeling team - the Jets, with
Hawerchuck (I think that spelling is wrong!), would be nice. The present
Hab's style is too stodgy for me. More power to Guy and turning his nose
at the sh**ty treatment he's getting in Montreal. Any opinions and/or
flames are welcome!

      Christopher Rosebrugh
      GTE Laboratories, Waltham, Mass.
      harvard!bunny!cpr0
      cpr0@gte-labs.CSNET

absary@watrose.UUCP (Al Sary) (10/03/85)

From article 617:

> I'd like to hear what fans of other teams think of Guy LaFleur & the
> possibility of him playing for YOUR favorite team. It looks as though,
> if he does come back to play, he'll go to New York (probably the Rangers),
> LA, or the Jets. I've been a Hab fan all my life and would love to see
> him go to some fast skating, free wheeling team - the Jets, with
> Hawerchuck (I think that spelling is wrong!), would be nice. The present
> Hab's style is too stodgy for me. More power to Guy and turning his nose
> at the sh**ty treatment he's getting in Montreal. Any opinions and/or
> flames are welcome!
>
>       Christopher Rosebrugh
>       GTE Laboratories, Waltham, Mass.
>       harvard!bunny!cpr0
>       cpr0@gte-labs.CSNET

I am not a Canadians fan, but I like good players like Guy LaFleur.  Just
after he retired, the Edmonton coach (I can't remember his name; just about
time the season starts) offered a spot on the team.  I really wished he
had made the decision to play.  Don't misunderstand me, I am not an Oiler
fan, but I think LaFleur has several more good years in him.  It is really
a shame to see talent like his work in management when he could obviously
play even for good teams (like the Oilers).

I hope he goes to another team.  The rangers or Winnipeg sound like excellent
choices (I prefer the Rangers; they need LaFleur more and they have an
excellent skating team).  When I heard recently that he quit his job in
Montreal (whatever it was), I thought he may play again, but I wasn't sure
he would because of the layoff (which wasn't really long at all).

Let's hope we'll see LaFleur on the ice playing for an NHL team.  I can't
express the great feeling I get when I see his smooth skating and great
playmaking (except it freaks me out when he plays against the Canucks;
it would be nice to see him on our side for a change).

By the way, the Canadians are always a big attraction in Vancouver, as they
probably are in most Canadian cities.  There are a lot of Hab fans, which I
never really liked; Hab games are usually sold out in the Pacific Colosseum.
The people are never disappointed either because the games are great most
of the time.

haapanen@watdcsu.UUCP (Tom Haapanen [DCS]) (10/07/85)

In article <210@bunny.UUCP> cpr0@bunny.UUCP (C. Rosebrugh) writes:

>I'd like to hear what fans of other teams think of Guy LaFleur & the
>possibility of him playing for YOUR favorite team. It looks as though,
>if he does come back to play, he'll go to New York (probably the Rangers),
>LA, or the Jets. I've been a Hab fan all my life and would love to see
>him go to some fast skating, free wheeling team - the Jets, with
>Hawerchuck (I think that spelling is wrong!), would be nice. The present
>Hab's style is too stodgy for me. More power to Guy and turning his nose
>at the sh**ty treatment he's getting in Montreal. Any opinions and/or
>flames are welcome!

I've been a Hab fan ever since I first started following the NHL
(about 15 years ago in Finland), and I enjoyed their old free-wheeling
style.  However, with their current personnel, they are much better
suited for a tight, defensive game.  I enjoy this style (which has in
the past been exemplified by the Boston Bruins, another favourite of
mine) as well.  The Habs no longer have any real stars --- they have
become a team of solid, non-flashy grinders.  Admittedly not as
exciting to watch as the Flying Frenchmen of the old, but I still
enjoy a good defensive game, especially when you see that the team is
truly putting in a 100% effort.

As to Lafleur (NOT LaFleur), he was protected by the Canadiens for the
waiver draft, so unless Habs pick up someone in the draft and release
Lafleur, he will not be given away for free to somebody.  He's still
under contract to the Habs, so anyone who wants him will have to make
a deal with Savard, who will not likely deal him for next-to-nothing.

				   \tom haapanen
				   watmath!watdcsu!haapanen
Don't cry, don't do anything
No lies, back in the government
No tears, party time is here again
President Gas is up for president		 (c) Psychedelic Furs, 1982