[net.sport.hockey] Judging a team's performance

rick@ucla-cs.UUCP (10/07/85)

In article <669@alberta.UUCP> dyck@alberta.UUCP (Terry Dyck) writes:
> <<much nonsense about how the Canucks will do :-)>>
>	Even though I am a bit fanatical about the Oilers, I do realize that
>teams do go down hill in time. In time the Oilers will start to slide
>and that will show in how they played in the LAST YEAR, not 2 or 5 years
>before. Last years performance is the only one that is valid.

I agree that looking back too many years isn't indicative of how a team
will play this year, but looking at LAST YEAR is no better if other factors
are not taken into consideration. If a team is hammered with injuries
(a la New York Rangers) they aren't going to have a good year - but that
doesn't mean this year will be bad too. A good year can be misleading too -
take the Flyers, for instance. They snuck up on everyone last year and had
no pressure on them (or injuries, until the playoffs). This year other
teams will be ready for them. So, based on last year's performance you
might expect them to do quite well - but I sure don't. And does anyone
expect St Louis to continue to lead the Norris division? Stay tuned for
the end of the season.
--
   Rick Gillespie
      ARPANET:	rick@ucla-locus.ARPA	or (soon) rick@LOCUS.UCLA.EDU