[net.sport.hockey] Breakaways with Gretzky

gates@bdmrrr.UUCP (Al Gates) (11/11/85)

> By the way, stopping Gretzky on breakaways is not as big a deal as it
> sounds (although 3 breakaways is not bad).  A few days later, Richard
> Brodour also stopped Gretzky on a couple (I only heard this, I didn't
> actually see the game).  Gretzky isn't that great on breakaways, which
> is surprising; he is also well known for missing penalty shots.  Surprisingly
> or not, on my team, I would prefer a lot of players in the NHL on breakaways
> other than Gretzky (maybe not a lot, but certainly there are several
> players in the NHL who make it look very easy on breakaways).

Yes, you are right about that.  On the other hand, for just about every
other offensive facet of the game I would take Gretzky.  There just aren't
that many 'greatest players of all-time' around in the NHL.
His inablility to score on breakaways is more than made up for by his
ability to carry a team offensively, lead a power play, set up a goal with
a miraculous pass, and score shorthanded at will.

--

Al Gates
BDM Corporation       ^   ^   ^   ^   {seismo,rlgvax}!bdmrrr!gates

absary@watmath.UUCP (Al Sary) (11/13/85)

In article <471@bdmrrr.UUCP> gates@bdmrrr.UUCP (Al Gates) writes:
>> actually see the game).  Gretzky isn't that great on breakaways, which
>> is surprising; he is also well known for missing penalty shots.  Surprisingly
>> or not, on my team, I would prefer a lot of players in the NHL on breakaways
>> other than Gretzky (maybe not a lot, but certainly there are several
>> players in the NHL who make it look very easy on breakaways).
>
>Yes, you are right about that.  On the other hand, for just about every
>other offensive facet of the game I would take Gretzky.  There just aren't
>that many 'greatest players of all-time' around in the NHL.
>His inablility to score on breakaways is more than made up for by his
>ability to carry a team offensively, lead a power play, set up a goal with
>a miraculous pass, and score shorthanded at will.

No question about that.  I was just trying to make a statement on his
breakaways.

You are absolutely right; there are not many greatest 'players of all
time', and in my opinion, he happens to be the greatest of all time
(there may be light arguments from some people about that).  I think
he would be the top choice of any general manager even if he is not such
good on breakaways.  No wander he is not allowed on many hockey pools.
(I remember Harry Neale say a few years ago several times that if the
Canucks had Gretzky, they'd be in first place and not Edmonton - this is
probably arguable, but Gretzky sure would help any team a great deal).

"but he is too small"
"but he can't shoot"
"but he can't skate"

but he is surely great.