[net.sport.hockey] Where is everybody?

ryan@bcseng.DEC (Mike Ryan DTN 264-8280 MKO1-2/E25) (11/05/85)

I haven't seen anything on this newsgroup in two weeks, so I figured I ought
to get things going...

Let's hear about the college teams! How's your school doing so far? What are
their  chances?  RPI's  aren't all that good, I'm afraid, since they lost so
much  to the NHL. Still, with Mike Addesa still coaching they can't be ruled
out.  But Harvard's a more likely bet from the ECAC.

Of the  former  RPI  players now in the NHL, Adam Oates and Tim Friday don't
seem  to  be doing too much for the Red Wings (then again, no one is). Kraig
Nienhaus has turned out to be a significant find for the Bruins, though, and
is scoring at a surprising pace considering he was never much of a scorer at
RPI.  What  happened  to Ken Hammond (who played for the Kings at the end of
last year) - I haven't seen his name in the box scores at all? Goalie Darren
Puppa  played  his  first  NHL  game  for  Buffalo  last Friday and shut out
Edmonton  (their  first  shutout  in a year and a half, and first at home in
close  to  three  years).  He  stopped  Gretzky  three  times on breakaways!
Barrasso  was  back  in  goal the next day, and gave up six (to Vancouver? I
don't quite remember...)

The Bruins  are  looking  good  - excellent penalty killing and power plays,
strong  defense,  and  the  goalie tandem of Keans and Peeters are making me
optimistic (but what do I know? I'm a Red Sox and Patriots fan...). I expect
to  see  them  play  the  Flyers  in the conference finals (and perhaps even
Edmonton?).

Mike Ryan
ARPA:	ryan%fremen.DEC@DECWRL.ARPA
UUCP:	{decvax,allegra,ihnp4,ucbvax,...}!decwrl!dec-rhea!dec-fremen!ryan

Posted:	Tue 5-Nov-1985 10:59
To:	RHEA::DECWRL::"NET.SPORT.HOCKEY"

absary@watmath.UUCP (Al Sary) (11/08/85)

In article <1260@decwrl.UUCP> ryan@bcseng.DEC (Mike Ryan DTN 264-8280 MKO1-2/E25) writes:

>                                                               Goalie Darren
>Puppa  played  his  first  NHL  game  for  Buffalo  last Friday and shut out
>Edmonton  (their  first  shutout  in a year and a half, and first at home in
>close  to  three  years).  He  stopped  Gretzky  three  times on breakaways!
>Barrasso  was  back  in  goal the next day, and gave up six (to Vancouver? I
>don't quite remember...)

Indeed, it was Vancouver.

By the way, stopping Gretzky on breakaways is not as big a deal as it
sounds (although 3 breakaways is not bad).  A few days later, Richard
Brodour also stopped Gretzky on a couple (I only heard this, I didn't
actually see the game).  Gretzky isn't that great on breakaways, which
is surprising; he is also well known for missing penalty shots.  Surprisingly
or not, on my team, I would prefer a lot of players in the NHL on breakaways
other than Gretzky (maybe not a lot, but certainly there are several
players in the NHL who make it look very easy on breakaways).

twh@mb2c.UUCP (Tim Hitchcock) (11/08/85)

Well, since I am from Detroit and this newsgroup needs some
stimulation, let's talk about those DEAD WINGS.

Adam Oates did OK, but not as expected.  However, Tim Friday
is doing quite well for a rookie defenseman.

The DEAD WINGS are individually very very good. There has been
talk in the papers here that Jimmy D (GM) will be out soon.

They are not looking at the problem. The GM did what he was suppose
to do...get good players.  The problem is in the coaching !
The Wings go out there and look like there playing pickup hockey
at the local arena !

Back to the coach.  I saw Harry interviewed on the Don Cherry
show last year.  I said to myself then (not knowing he would
be coaching the wings); "There is a REAL complacent loser !"

I can't believe that they spent big bucks on the players, then
hire a loser for a coach.

prediction:  they won't ever be a serious competitor until
	     a coach with a winning attitude is hired.

Tim

eirik@tekchips.UUCP (Eirik Fuller) (11/10/85)

In article <1260@decwrl.UUCP> ryan@bcseng.DEC (Mike Ryan DTN 264-8280 MKO1-2/E25) writes:
>I haven't seen anything on this newsgroup in two weeks, so I figured I ought
>to get things going...
>
>Let's hear about the college teams! How's your school doing so far? What are
>their  chances?  RPI's  aren't all that good, I'm afraid, since they lost so
>much  to the NHL. Still, with Mike Addesa still coaching they can't be ruled
>out.  But Harvard's a more likely bet from the ECAC.

Just tonight, talking to some of my friends who are still at the
'tute (RPI), I heard an interesting quote from Addessa. I don't
remember the exact wording, but in essence he thought this year's
team is terrible.  Maybe he said that to fire them up, since word has
it that they are doing okay so far.  If I remember right, Butryn had
two hat tricks in his first two outings, and Hernberg had a hat trick
in his first.  Last night they came from behind (3-1) to win (9-5).
I don't know what will happen when they play against real
competition.

Now that Puppa is in the pros, Jopling finally has his chance. Two
years ago, when both were freshmen, they alternated until Puppa more
or less settled into the starting spot. Apparently, he and the
smurfs are doing well so far. (I keep track of these three
especially, since I was a TA in their first math class at RPI.)

I also heard that Mark Jooris got suspended for academic reasons.
Hopefully, this is temporary.

clay@sask.UUCP (Clay Cederstrand) (11/11/85)

> Well, since I am from Detroit and this newsgroup needs some
> stimulation, let's talk about those DEAD WINGS.
>
> Adam Oates did OK, but not as expected.  However, Tim Friday
> is doing quite well for a rookie defenseman.
>
> The DEAD WINGS are individually very very good. There has been
> talk in the papers here that Jimmy D (GM) will be out soon.
>
> They are not looking at the problem. The GM did what he was suppose
> to do...get good players.  The problem is in the coaching !
> The Wings go out there and look like there playing pickup hockey
> at the local arena !
>
> Back to the coach.  I saw Harry interviewed on the Don Cherry
> show last year.  I said to myself then (not knowing he would
> be coaching the wings); "There is a REAL complacent loser !"
>
> I can't believe that they spent big bucks on the players, then
> hire a loser for a coach.
>
> prediction:  they won't ever be a serious competitor until
> 	     a coach with a winning attitude is hired.
>
> Tim

I am not sure that I agree with you about Harry Neale, when he took over
from Bill LaForge midday through last season he had the Canucks playing
500 hockey. I think the problem is with Delvellano, who is the s**ts at
determining good and mediocre hockey players. He trades away Craven and
I believe Paterson and gets nothing in return. And look at some of the
people they spent a forune on over the summer, Ray Staszak is in the minors,
and Adam Oates has 1 goal and 1 assist in 9 games. He also sent down to
the minors Lane Lambert, who can skate rings around Oates. Even the players
admit that the problem lies with their inability tp play in a game situation.
Yzerman was quoted as saying that the "system is good. The game plan is good
and we're ready to play. But once we get on the ice nothing clicks.". I think
Harry Neale is a excellent coach and one of the funniest people in the league
in that his one liners rank up there with Rodney Dangerfield. He is probably
the best possible coach the Red Wings could use at the moment, and he does
have a winning attitude.

absary@watmath.UUCP (Al Sary) (11/12/85)

In article <296@sask.UUCP> clay@sask.UUCP (Clay Cederstrand) writes:
>> I can't believe that they spent big bucks on the players, then
>> hire a loser for a coach.
>>
>> prediction:  they won't ever be a serious competitor until
>> 	     a coach with a winning attitude is hired.

>I am not sure that I agree with you about Harry Neale, when he took over
>from Bill LaForge midday through last season he had the Canucks playing
>500 hockey. I think the problem is with Delvellano, who is the s**ts at
>determining good and mediocre hockey players. He trades away Craven and
>I believe Paterson and gets nothing in return. And look at some of the
>people they spent a forune on over the summer, Ray Staszak is in the minors,
>and Adam Oates has 1 goal and 1 assist in 9 games. He also sent down to
>the minors Lane Lambert, who can skate rings around Oates. Even the players
>admit that the problem lies with their inability tp play in a game situation.
>Yzerman was quoted as saying that the "system is good. The game plan is good
>and we're ready to play. But once we get on the ice nothing clicks.". I think
>Harry Neale is a excellent coach and one of the funniest people in the league
>in that his one liners rank up there with Rodney Dangerfield. He is probably
>the best possible coach the Red Wings could use at the moment, and he does
>have a winning attitude.

Wow, now there is someone who knows Harry Neale really well.

Harry Neale defenetely has a winning attitude.  I feel sorry for him that
the Redwings are doing as bad as they are (fighting for a playoff spot
with the Leafs?).  I don't know what the root of the problem is, but if
it's up to Harry Neale, he'll turn the team around; I am not sure if he
is capable of producing a Stanley Cup champion though.

steve@umd-cs.uucp (Steven M. Miller) (11/13/85)

	 W E S T E R N  H O C K E Y  -  R E A L  H O C K E Y

We're too busy watching to comment I guess.

The DAWG's up in Duluth are having another shaky start.  Of course no
no one had thought that we would actually come out .500 after playing
North Dakota, Minnesota, and Wisconsin the first three weeks of the
season.  After sweeping ND and splitting with MN we were rated #1
in many polls, but what happens, we lose two close games at WI and
now we're hardly rated at all!

Our star player is Bobby Hull's son Bret.  12 games into the season and
he's already had 3 hat tricks (16 goals and 8 assists).  Makes Watson,
our Hobey Baker award winner from last year look like a Pee Wee.

Why doesn't the WCHA play any games against the CCHA?  Except for Boston
College there isn't any real competion out in hockey east.  I'm all for
dumping the Super Seven (ha ha ha) for some real hockey.

			-steve

--

\    Go Bulldog     /    1982-83 NCAA Quarterfinalists
 \__   HOCKEY!   __/     1983-84 NCAA Runners Up (4 OT's)   WCHA CHAMPS

Spoken: Steven M. Miller   UUCP:   ihnp4!umn-cs!umd-cs!steve
USPS:   Computer Science Dept, University of Minnesota at Duluth,
        10 University Drive, Duluth, MN  55812

hammond@steinmetz.UUCP (Steve Hammond) (11/13/85)

How about that Adams Division?  That has got to be the
toughest of them all from top to bottom.  There is no
easy team in it.  I grew up in Buffalo and saw quite
a few of their games, so needless to say I am partial
to that team.

--
  Steve Hammond
   arpa: hammond@ge-crd

	the deepest  personal  defeat suffered by human beings is
	constitued by the difference between what one was capable
	of becoming and what one has in fact become.
					(a. montagu)

chip@vaxwaller.UUCP (Chip Kozy) (11/13/85)

*** REPLACE THIS WITH YOUR ***

	Activity!!  Finally some net activity!!

	This is meant in the frame of water given to one dying of thirst.
Being stuck in the San Francisco Bay area (better known as "The Void" as
far as hockey is concerned) I try to keep up on this net at least once a
week.  However, being as how the season doesn't run all year, there are
times when there is nothing to read.  I feel kind of bad not being able
to contribute to the net, but out here if it isn't football, basketball
or baseball, it simply isn't a sport!  This follows true for radio, TV,
newspapers, etc.  Luckily I can (and do) subscribe to a cable company
that carries WTBS (Atlanta), ESPN (not a lot of hockey, but some), and
USA (less than ESPN), so I can get some games in, but on the whole, there
isn't anything out here, so KEEP IT GOING GUYS!!!  There's more people
out here like me, and we all really need this net.

	Thanks for what's been, and KEEP ON POSTING!!

					Happiness;
					Chip

--

		Chip Kozy   (415) 939-2400 x-2048
		Varian Inst. Grp.  2700 Mitchell Dr.

shari@rosevax.UUCP (Shari Nelson) (11/14/85)

> I haven't seen anything on this newsgroup in two weeks, so I figured I ought
> to get things going...
>
> Let's hear about the college teams! How's your school doing so far? What are
> their  chances?  RPI's  aren't all that good, I'm afraid, since they lost so
> much  to the NHL. Still, with Mike Addesa still coaching they can't be ruled
> out.  But Harvard's a more likely bet from the ECAC.

Let's here it for the WCHA!! The premiere college hockey league in the USA!
The Eastern teams are coming on strong, but overall the WCHA is second to
none. One reason Minnesota doesn't win every year is that the states players
are split between the Twin Cities campus and the Duluth campus. If there
were only one team, they would be invincible. (Remember back to the 1980
Olympic gold medal team - 22 of 26 players + the coach were native
Minnesotans). I predict a WCHA team will come away with the national
championship this year - the last couple of years they've been robbed!!

Go Gophers!!

--
..!ihnp4!rosevax!shari  a Minnesota Gopher fan forever!!!

Shari Nelson
Rosemount Inc.
12001 W. 78th St.
Eden Prairie, Mn.  55344