[net.sport.hockey] grundged maple loafs

clay@sask.UUCP (Clay Cederstrand) (11/19/85)

From postnews Sun Nov 17 19:24:01 1985
In article 436 Al Gates {seismo,rlgvax}!bdmrrr!gates writes:

> It is really sad to see the Toronto Maple Leafs struggle like they are.
> Toronto, home of the hockey hall of fame, and a hockey center, has a
> NHL franchise that is an embarrassment to the league.  What has gone
> wrong with this organization?
>
> Borje Salming has been one of their mainstays for a long time.  He is truly
> one of the better (and lately underrated) defensemen in the league.
> Unfortunately, once you get past Rick Vaive, Bill Derlago, and John Anderson,
> there is little supporting cast.  The goaltending situation in Toronto is
> atrocious.  Surely there must be some better talent for the Leafs out there
> somewhere!
No doubt the Maple Loafs as they are commonly called have problems, I think
the biggest problem lies with the owner Ballard. He is the George Steinbrenner
of the hockey world, althougth to be fair he has been quiet this year due to
serious health problems. I also am not sold on Maloney as a coach, I don't think
he has the experience yet. The Leafs have some good talent in the likes of
Wendell Clark and Dan Hodgeson and some good young defencemen, so if Ballard
can remain patient the future looks good. Billy Derlago is now a Boston Bruin
and the Leafs got Tom Fergus, and although either has not played in more than
15 games it looks as though the Leafs got the better of the trade. Fergus is
currently second leading scorer on the team. What amazes me is the number of
games they have lost after having two and three goal leads going into the
final period, this really looks like a serious coaching problem. Any coachs
care to comment ?

> II
>
> Since the four charter members of the NHL were all from Canada, does the
> word 'National' in 'NHL' imply Canada?  I'm willing to wager that most
> Americans believe that 'National' stands for U.S.
>
> If this truly is Canada's league, how come the Blues weren't allowed to
> go to Saskatoon?  Is the U.S. running a Canadian league?  How did this
> evolve?

No I don't believe the National means Canadian only, I couldn't speak for
most Americans though. What pisses me off is that the American governors
in the NHL refuse to allow a expansion team in Canada soley because its
difficult to sell interest to the fans when a team from Saskatoon comes
to town. Thats a out and out stupid attitude and reflects their ignorance
of the game and also its fans. Its the QUALITY of the team that makes the
difference and the personalitys on the team. I bet that most Americans, and
I not being critical of them here, don't know where Edmonton is but they come
out to watch Gretzky play.

I live in Saskatoon so I am not unbiased about this, but I truly believe
that a NHL team would be a success here. When Bill Hunter tried to bring
the Blues here, something close to hysteria erupted. That was the main topic
of conversation amongst people and also dominated the media. While Hunter
had problems such as no suitable arena, he did have provincial goverment
support for the team. Something Harry Ornest would love....right Harry ?
It is apparent that the NHL governors run the league, and the unfortunate
part of that is they know nothing of hockey in a lot of cases.

Ah....... that feels much now that I have that off my chest.

ps sorry for the reposting, the first one got grundged mysteriously. Actually
I probably require a finger transplant ( all 12 of them ).