[net.sport.hockey] Canadiens sweater mixup

jeff@dciem.UUCP (Jeff Richardson) (12/20/85)

A couple of weeks ago, I saw the Montreal Canadiens play the Sabres
in Buffalo.  The Canadiens were wearing their white sweaters, while the
Sabres wore their blue ones.  In every other NHL game I've seen since
about 1970, the home team always wore the lighter colour, so I figured
that in this game, one of the teams had lost, forgotten, or damaged the
sweaters they were supposed to be wearing, or something like that.
However, I saw the Canadiens this week, this time in Montreal against the
Nordiques, and they were wearing their red sweaters!  I saw them play a
couple of times earlier in the season, and I'm pretty sure they were
wearing their correct sweaters then, so what's going on?
--
Jeff Richardson, DCIEM, Toronto  (416) 635-2073
{linus,ihnp4,uw-beaver,floyd}!utcsri!dciem!jeff

cjsgro@watrose.UUCP (Carlo Sgro) (12/22/85)

The NHL passed a rule change over the off-season stating that the home
team can designate what sweater they want to wear if notice is given a certain
amount of time before game time.  Of course, the visitors then have to wear
the complementary sweaters.

Personally, I feel that this sometimes gets confusing.  Whenever I see the
Habs play (which has been quite often lately; I just watched them beat the
Sabres 3-1 (although the score should have been much higher in Montreal's
favour)), I always have to wait until the play reaches centre ice to see
what insignia is painted.  I wish that they would have kept the old rule so
that I wouldn't have to worry about such things.  :-)  Oh well, at least the
Leafs will always be in their home whites at home ...
--
Carlo Sgro
...![ihnp4||decvax||allegra||clyde||utzoo]!watmath!watrose!cjsgro

"ihnp4 Express:  Overnight to the USA or you don't pay!"

gates@bdmrrr.UUCP (Al Gates) (12/24/85)

> The NHL passed a rule change over the off-season stating that the home
> team can designate what sweater they want to wear if notice is given a certain
> amount of time before game time.  Of course, the visitors then have to wear
> the complementary sweaters.

The Capitals celebrated this rule about a month ago with a 'sweater reversal
night'.  It was a promotion gimmick.  Strangely enough, it was against the
Canadiens.  I never thought I'd see the day when the Canadiens would wear
white in the Capital Centre!

Personally, I hate the rule being a lover of tradition and white uniforms.

--

Al Gates
BDM Corporation       ^   ^   ^   ^   {seismo,rlgvax}!bdmrrr!gates

cjsgro@watrose.UUCP (Carlo Sgro) (12/26/85)

The main reason that I can think of for the rule change would be to allow
floundering home teams to attract patrons by having a "more favourable" colour
of sweater.  The team that I am specifically thinking of is the Pittsburgh
Penguins.  Back when they switched from their "skating penguin" to their
black and whatever colours, they made a big fuss about switching to the
"traditional" Pittsburgh sports team colours shared by the Steelers and
Pirates.  The white home sweaters that they would have to wear normally would
interfere with their image promotion.  Therefore, it wouldn't surprise me if
the Pens were the ones behind this.  How about it?  Does anyone from
Pittsburgh know anything about this?  Are the Pens using black at home?

--
Carlo Sgro
...![ihnp4||decvax||allegra||clyde||utzoo]!watmath!watrose!cjsgro

"ihnp4 Express:  Overnight to the USA or you don't pay!"

cpr0@bunny.UUCP (C. Rosebrugh) (12/30/85)

Just an observation: The Habs usually do the sweater mixup when playing
a home and home series (i.e. N.J. vs Habs in N.J. - 7-3 Habs - one night,
then in Habland - 8-3 Habs - the next night).

     Chris Rosebrugh, GTE Laboratories, Waltham, Mass.

nichols@h.cs.cmu.edu (David Nichols) (01/01/86)

In article <7739@watrose.UUCP> cjsgro@watrose.UUCP (Carlo Sgro) writes:
>Therefore, it wouldn't surprise me if
>the Pens were the ones behind this.  How about it?  Does anyone from
>Pittsburgh know anything about this?  Are the Pens using black at home?

As far as I can tell from going to games and watching highlights, the Pens
have worn white at home for every game.
--
ARPA: David.Nichols@h.cs.cmu.edu
UUCP: {seismo,decvax,allegra}!rochester!cmu-cs-pt!cmu-cs-h!nichols

acsgjjp@sunybcs.UUCP (Jim Poltrone) (01/02/86)

I remeber the Canadiens using their red sweaters last year for their
75th anniversary game, or the game where Guy LaFleur was inducted into
the Canadiens Hall of Fame and had his number retired.

I think the game where Buffalo wore blue at home was the one where they
brought back some of the old-timers like Gerry Meehan, Mike Robataille,
and some others I can't think of right now.  (Sorry if I'm a bit wrong; I
haven't been following the Sabres too closely.)

I suppose that if the team is comemmorating some event, then they would
request to wear the away uniforms.
--
  ____  ^  ____
 |_  _|/ \|_  _|              Jim Poltrone (a/k/a Poltr1,

paul@pilchuckDataio.UUCP (Paul Brownlow, Data I/O Redmond, WA) (01/03/86)

> A couple of weeks ago, I saw the Montreal Canadiens play the Sabres
> in Buffalo.  The Canadiens were wearing their white sweaters, while the
> Sabres wore their blue ones.  In every other NHL game I've seen since
> about 1970, the home team always wore the lighter colour, so I figured
> that in this game, one of the teams had lost, forgotten, or damaged the
> sweaters they were supposed to be wearing, or something like that.

In the early 1970's, the Seattle Totems in old WHL went from mid-October
through Christmas without winning a game.  They finally won a game on the
road, only to come home to lose more.  The next time they went on the
road, they started winning again, so during their next home stand, they
wore their road (dark) sweaters, and continued winning.

The home team has the choice of which color to wear; maybe the Sabres
were having a case of superstition like the Totems.

--
-------
Paul Brownlow

"You've got to ask yourself one question: 'do I feel lucky?'
  Well, do ya punk?"