[net.sport.hockey] College Hockey

fargo (02/15/83)

Apparently Minnesotat looked very good in sweeping North Dakota last
weekend, esp. Butsy Erickson and the Gopher goalie.  Saturday's
game went into the final minute tied - both goalies playing well.
Patrick from North Dakota - a sophomore - apparently is without
equal on the ice.  Gino (ND's coach) would be happy to see him
stay around to graduate but he loses more players to the pros
than he does to graduation.
ing weekend has some good WCHA games.
Minnesota vs Wisconsin         &         ND vs Duluth
I, too, would like to see Minnesota, Wisconsin and North Dakota in the
Final Four.  Fourth Team?

fargo (02/24/83)

Anyone planning a trip to the final four in Grand Forks?

Anyone in Chicago area planning to watch the final four on ESPN?
If so, give me a call.

				Matt Noah
				ihuxx!fargo
				(312)-979-4796

fargo (02/28/83)

>From the Grand Forks newspaper, 2/27: ..."ESPN, which had earlier
planned to carry the championship game live and the semifinal
games on a tape-delayed basis, now plans on carrying the championship
game on a delayed basis, too.  Dave Ogrean, a communications
representative for ESPN, says the championship game will be shown on
a 3.5-hour delay."

fargo@ihuxx.UUCP (Matt Noah) (03/12/84)

WCHA		Duluth	8	UND	1
		UND	5	Duluth	4		(Duluth 12-6)
	No third-place game, Minnesota and Wisconsin were the other semifinalists

CCHA		Mich. State	1
		Western Mich.	2
		Ohio	ST.	3
		Bowling Green	4

ECAC		RPI		1
		BU		2
		Clarkson	3
		BC		4

Shoe-ins for the NCAAs are Duluth, UND, Mich. State, RPI and BU.  Other 2?
Probably Minnesota and either Clarkson, BC or Bowling Green.

ryan@fremen.DEC (12/04/84)

	Yes, there is life in net.sport.hockey!

	In the interest of encouraging some flames in this previously
comatose newsgroup, I offer the following proposition:

	RPI (my alma mater) will take it all this year!!

	Last year RPI completely dominated the East, but lost in the
opening round of the NCAA playoffs to North Dakota (sporting their
ugly green uniforms).  All the western teams won their series against
eastern opponents.  The West has dominated college hockey for quite a
few years now, but that is changing.  The new Hockey East league
(which includes BC, BU, et.al.) is playing (and beating) western
teams on a regular basis this year, and parity appears to have finally
arrived.  RPI is in the new ECAC division, and thus does not get to
play as many western teams as the Hockey East teams; however, they did
play a two-game series in North Dakota, getting eked out in overtime
7-6 and then coming back to clobber the Green Machine (ugh) 9-2 (or
something like that - the Boston Globe barely covers Hockey East, let
alone other teams).  RPI lost no major players to graduation (all of
last year's stars were underclassmen), and recruited some fine freshmen.
Allow me to quote an article (without permission) from North Country
This Week (published in the vicinity of RPI's arch-rival Clarkson):

	RPI (32-6 overall in Div. 1; 1983-84 ECAC champions)
Strengths: Tremendous offense, tough defense, solid goaltending, great
fans. Adam Oates (26-57-83) is awesome. John Carter and George Servinis
seem to score at will.

Weaknesses: None apparent. Engineer fans felt RPI should have won it all
last year, but they fizzled against North Dakota.

Outlook: The only coaching Mike Addesa has to do is tell his players to
change lines if they get tired.

Prediction: First.

	I have to admit RPI has got off to a disappointing start (only 6-2) -
the OT loss to North Dakota and a fluke loss to St. Lawrence (RPI outshot them
39-21) ruining hopes of a perfect season.  Still, even those upstate hicks
admit they're the best in the East, and the West had better be prepared in
March!  And RPI has the best fans (just ask BU, who was completely overwhelmed
by being heavily outnumbered and outshouted in the ECAC title game in Boston
Garden last March).

		Mike Ryan

haapanen@watdcsu.UUCP (Tom Haapanen [DCS]) (12/05/84)

Yeah, well, let's get some traffic in this newsgroup!  College hockey
somehow does not seem terribly meaningful to us hosers up here in the
homeland of hockey, the Great White North, the winner of the 1984
Canada Cup, etc. etc., Canada!  We have  CIAU (Canadian
Inter-university Athletic Union or something like that), but that is
not generally where the best pre-NHL hockey is played.  Rather, most
Canadian rookies come up through the brawl-filled Major Junior A
leagues, namely WHL, OHL and QMJHL.  So, let's have some more global
discussions, namely about the NHL, or maybe even (gasp!) about
international hockey.

I'm interested in who you net-people feel are viable candidates for
the Calder trophy (Gretzky's going to take most trophies, but not this
one!).  The #1 draft pick this year, Mario Lemieux, has been playing
fairly well, but not super fantastic.  He's also injured right now.
The top scorer by quite a margin is Calgary's Carey Wilson, who spent
a couple of years playing for Helsinki IFK in Finland.  Also,
technically Montreal's Steve Penney and Chris Chelios are rookies,
despite extensive playoff experience last year.  I don't think Penney
is as good as is generally thought (check out his save percentage!),
rather it's the Montreal defence, including Chelios, doing all the
work for him.  Chelios is highly rated, and my (second?) favourite
coach, Don Cherry, rates him as the top rookie so far this year.

So what do YOU think?  Reply by email, if you wish, and I'll
summarize.   Or you can try and build some traffic in this newsgroup
and post your opinions...

\tom haapanen		university of waterloo		(519) 744-2468

allegra \
clyde \  \
decvax ---- watmath --- watdcsu --- haapanen
ihnp4 /  /
linus  /		The opinions herein are not those of my employers,
			of the University of Waterloo, and probably not of
			anybody else either.

haapanen@watdcsu.UUCP (Tom Haapanen [DCS]) (12/07/84)

Note: I am posting this for carlo as he has problems posting articles
at oscvax.
		\tom

>        		The opinions herein are not those of my employers,
>			of the University of Waterloo, and probably not of
>			anybody else either.

Wanna bet?!  I'm a somebody (although I haven't been to Speedy Muffler
King lately) and I agree with:
	a) the meaninglessness of college hockey up here.
	b) the importance of Junior A
	c) discussions about the NHL
	d) Carey Wilson and Chris Chelios as some of the top rookies
	e) Mario Lemieux as OK but not near the other two

And now for my opinions ...

I think that Pat Lafontaine also should be ranked up there.  I'm not sure
if he's still a rookie, though.  If I remember correctly, he's fourth
in the Islanders' scoring race, behind Bossy, Sutter, and Tonelli.
Also, how about Warren Young (Pittsburgh)?  Is he a rookie?  He seemed
to come up out of nowhere.

About Chelios, when I saw him last year in the playoffs, I could see
that he had a very good chance of being the player that the Canadiens
needed to stabilize their defense.  He had a type of poise that you
usually don't see in kids his age.  I think that he has the potential
to be another Rod Langway (except with more points).

A person with no chance of winning the Calder but with a chance of
developing into an excellent player is (surprise, surprise) Al
Iafrate of the Leafs.  Earlier in the season, he looked positively
awful, making all kinds of rookie mistakes.  He's steadily improved
game-by-game (as opposed to the Leafs :-().  I think that the Leafs
could now afford to trade Salming without being badly hurt on
defense.  Jim Benning has blossomed into a very good backliner, although
he tends to get caught at times.  Their first round pick last year
(whose name strangely escapes me now) is tough, even though he still
needs work.  They've got other guys who can play too (Stewart, Gingras
(if they ever bring him up from the minors), Farrish (ditto), etc.).
I don't consider Bob McGill a good defenseman.
---

Carlo Sgro
Ontario Science Centre, Toronto
...!{ihnp4,allegra,linus,decvax,watmath}!utzoo!oscvax!carlo

"Don't touch that dial!"

jmh@ltuxa.UUCP (cecw 64lt503310-Jon Mcecw) (02/27/85)

This is in reference to the previous article stating that the WCHA
was "cocky".  I think perhaps that was a bit harsh.  I think that any
league , East or West, that has dominated hockey in recent years would
lobby for at-large berths.  It is obviously in the best interests of
the league to do so.  If the WCHA wasn't lobbying for it, I would say
that league officials were not doing their jobs.

I'm still not sure that I like the idea of merging the WCHA with
an eastern league (I miss the Minnesota at Wisconsin series and the
Wisconsin at North Dakota series), but it has gotten me more involved
with the other teams out there.

Side light: I haven't been to a game this year, but Wisconsin usually
packs around 8000 in for a game.  When I went to school there, the games
were almost always sold out.

Wisconsin has been hot lately, maybe just in time.

Jon Hanrath
ihnp4!ltuxa!jmh

ryan@fremen.DEC (03/01/85)

>This is in reference to the previous article stating that the WCHA
>was "cocky".  I think perhaps that was a bit harsh.

Perhaps I was a bit harsh. But I don't like the idea. Granted, the WCHA
has been strong in recent years, but an at-large system will tend to
favor teams from leagues with a recent history of strength and give the
short end of the stick to leagues which have improved during the current
year. This year, I suspect that this would result in only the league
champs from the ECAC and Hockey East going to the NCAA's, and take away
their chance to prove themselves against the WCHA and CCHA.  Even if (for
example) RPI were to win the national championship, it wouldn't prove that
Clarkson and Harvard were competitive with the western teams.  I think they
deserve that chance.

>I'm still not sure that I like the idea of merging the WCHA with
>an eastern league (I miss the Minnesota at Wisconsin series and the
>Wisconsin at North Dakota series),

Yes, I miss RPI vs. BC, BU, UNH. I also miss the longer, more intense
schedule - playing a lighter schedule has hurt RPI's poll standings all
year. Unfortunately, they're in the ECAC and the Ivy League schools
insist on shorter schedules and higher academic requirements (which may
be the thing that really hurts schools that take their hockey seriously,
like RPI and Clarkson in the long run). What do you think of this proposal for
scheduling in all the leagues:?

Each team plays each other team in its league 3 times as all but the
ECAC do now.
Each team plays each team in the other regional league once (pairing off
ECAC-Hockey East, WCHA-CCHA).
Each team plays half of the teams in each of the other two leagues once
(so every team will play every other team at least once every two years).

Assuming RPI and Clarkson moved to Hockey East (which I would really
like to see), each team would play about 40 games (which, I admit, doesn't
leave too much room for games against independents).  The Ivy League
schools would be allowed to skip the Western games and some of the
Hockey East games.  This would even out the schedules among all the
Division I league teams and make comparison of teams in different
leagues realistic.  As a matter of fact, with more even schedules the
at-large proposal would be much more reasonable, giving more weight to
actual performance than perception of league strength in making selections.

>Side light: I haven't been to a game this year, but Wisconsin usually
>packs around 8000 in for a game.  When I went to school there, the games
>were almost always sold out.

RPI and Clarkson almost always sell out, too (but they've got smaller arenas).

******************

>Michigan State now has 5 losses (so they've lost 3 in the past 2 weeks).

Oops! Don't know what I was thinking - Michigan State had 3 losses before,
so they've only lost two in the past two weeks.

I saw Northeastern play UNH on TV last night in the battle for the last
home-ice spot in Hockey East. UNH scored 3 goals in the last 7 minutes to
pull it out of the fire, 5-4.  Northeastern is 0-3-1 since winning the
Beanpot (the traditional fate of Beanpot winners), and will fall to sixth
place if Lowell beats UNH Sunday. Looking ahead to the playoffs, I'd pick
UNH as a dark-horse to win Hockey East.

	Mike Ryan

jmh@ltuxa.UUCP (Jon M. Hanrath) (01/13/86)

Would someone please post the results in the WCHA this last
weekend, and the standings?  The Tribune doesn't often print
WCHA info.  Thanks.

Go Big Red (uh - that's Badgers - not RPI)

Jon Hanrath
ihnp4!ltuxa!jmh

udell@Shasta.ARPA (01/15/86)

In article <347@ltuxa.UUCP> jmh@ltuxa.UUCP (64lt503310-Jon M. Hanrath) writes:

>Would someone please post the results in the WCHA this last
>weekend, and the standings?  The Tribune doesn't often print
>WCHA info.  Thanks.
>
>Go Big Red (uh - that's Badgers - not RPI)

Ditto: Nobody even prints college scores out here.
Go Badgers!

Jon Udell

jmh@ltuxa.UUCP (Jon M. Hanrath) (01/20/86)

Well, I found out that the Badgers swept Maine at home two weekends
ago, leaving them at 18-8 and tied for #3 ranking with Northeastern.
So happily I went into last weekend thinking perhaps the streak
was here.  This mourning (sic) I read in the USA Today that the
dreaded Sioux of North Dakota swept the once proud Badgers at Grand
Forks, N.D.  I bet Gino Gasparini is smiling today.

I still don't know the WCHA standing however.  Could someone please
post them?  Thanks in advance.

Here hoping for a sweep at Colardo College,

Go Bucky,

Jon Hanrath
ihnp4!ltuxa!jmh