[net.sport.hockey] What's with all these hockey movies?

citrin@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU (Wayne Citrin) (01/30/86)

Not only is there "Youngblood," which will come out on Friday, but
"Touch and Go," a film with Michael Keaton as a pro hockey player,
will come out sometime in February or March.  I have a feeling this
isn't an accident.  Could the marketers have decided that hockey is
the latest Yuppie phenomenon?  God, I hope not!

Wayne Citrin
(ucbvax!citrin)

mre@laidbak.UUCP (Mike Eisler) (02/01/86)

In article <11600@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU> citrin@ucbvax.berkeley.edu.UUCP (Wayne Citrin) writes:
>Not only is there "Youngblood," ... but
>"Touch and Go," ...
>will come out sometime in February or March. ...
>Could the marketers have decided that hockey is
>the latest Yuppie phenomenon?  God, I hope not!

I do.  If films like these are not an indication of growing popularity
of the game in the U.S., then at least they might encourage its acceptance.
Then maybe we can watch the a few games a month on network tv, rather than
waiting for cable to arrive.  The ends justify the means.