[net.sport.hockey] Playoff formats

tohaapanen@watrose.UUCP (Tom Haapanen) (02/03/86)

In article <8656@ucla-cs.ARPA> lor@ucla-cs.UUCP (Edward Lor) writes:

>	If the Penguins are locked up with 3rd place and the Islanders
>4th in the Patrick Division (this is not impossible, as of 2/1,
>Pittsburgh is only 4 points out of 3rd place,) will the Capitals
>have incentives to fight for 1st place? We all know they always
>lose to the Isles in the playoffs, while they haven't
>lost to the Penguins for a couple years.

Conversely, under the current playoff system, assume that Quebec has
locked up first place in Adams (although I think Montreal will take
it) and Boston is a few points behind Hartford in fourth.  Would the
Bruins fight for third?  We all know they haven't beaten Les Canadiens
in the playoffs for decades!  :-)

I don't think this argument makes any playoff system any better than
another;  i.e. the speaker will rule this motion dilatory.  :-)

				   \tom haapanen
				   watmath!watrose!haapanen
I'm all lost in the Supermarket
I can no longer shop happily
I came in here for that special offer
Guaranteed personality				 (c) The Clash, 1979