[net.sport.hockey] 2nd best team in NHL

johansen@agrigene.UUCP (12/14/85)

*** REPLACE THIS LINE WITH YOUR GOALIE***

     It seems to me to be pretty clear that the best team in the NHL is
the Edmonton Oilers. For the sake of discussion, I would be interested
in people's opinions of which team is the 2nd best team in the NHL. I
don't mean simply in the standings but rather in talent etc. Likely
candidates include Washington, Philadelphia, Calgary, and Toronto :-).

utrupin@yale.ARPA (CS666 Is History) (12/15/85)

****  DON'T EAT THIS LINE ****

*SIGH*  Remember when the Islanders even made the list of
second best considerations?  Now the Maple Leafs do, and
they don't?  *SIGH*  Times have changed in two short years.
Oh, well.  Go team.

(I don't have an opinion, I'm just reminiscing.  Oh, by the
way, Yale is ranked #4 in the nation in college hockey!  We
broke RPI's unbeaten streak in their rink)

					  -Josh Trupin
					   utrupin@yale-cheops

crnivani@acf4.UUCP (Carlo Cernivani) (12/16/85)

The view from Section 309 at Madison Square Garden hasn't been the best in
terms of seeing good hockey.  Herb Brooks, Craig Patrick, and the boys have
seen to that.  It would be difficult to list the Ranger problems but we do
get to see how the game should be played every now and then.

The general feeling in my section is that after the Oilers you have a couple
of teams on the second plateau.  The Flyers are clearly there.  Individually
their talent is good, not great.  Kerr, Propp, Howe, and Froese form a good
core but the thing that makes the Flyers such a strong team is, what else,
work and discipline.  When they work within the framework of their system
they're tough to beat.  The Oilers, like the Stanley Cup Islander teams, can
beat you any way you want to go.  The Flyers on the other hand have to show
up each night and execute to win.  Obviously, they do that quite regularly.
The Flyers should make the finals this year.

The Calgary Flames have a strong team.  They have a ton of size up front and
can wear you down with a good checking game with plenty of physical play on
the boards and around the net.  They're probably still a couple of players away
but they always give the Oilers a tough time.  The Oilers are to the Flames
what the Islanders have always been to the Rangers.  The team to beat in the
conference and the team that has/had the one big play, the one lucky bounce,
the one roll player come through to beat you.  The Flames, like the Rangers,
rise to the occasion of the challange but are always *this* far away.  Until
they can get past the Oilers the Flames will have to wait.  IF the Oilers
faulter (*cough*), then look for the Flames to be there.

The Washington Caps are a mystery to us.  They have a strong defensive game.
Langway comes to play every night.  They're forwards (Carpenter, Gartner, etc.)
are quick, move the puck well, and at times are quite explosive.  It may just
be a matter of time and a bit more experience in the playoffs but they still
have to show they can do it in April.  The Islanders were the obstacle, now it's
the Flyers.  They're our dark horse pick in the conference.

After the Flyers, Flames, and Caps you have a mess of teams that are up and
down.  Bruins: the offense isn't there.  Quebec: If they played everybody like
they play Montreal they'd be someone to contend with.  Winnipeg has been a
major disappointment.  What's they're story??  Before the year started I
thought Chicago would rebound from last year and turn it around.  Guess not.
Then there's Buffalo.  Defense, defense, defense.  Bowman = zzzzzzzzzzzz.
Last but not least, you gotta love the Red Wings.  They're making the Ranger
payroll look like a dime store operation.  They're minor league affiliate must
be serving champagne and caviar in between periods.  Like we keep saying at the
Garden, you can buy talent but you CAN't buy a winner.

It's a good thing I didn't get started on the Rangers.  I'd be typing for
hours.

Carlo A. Cernivani                           Usenet: ...!floyd!cmcl2!crnivani
251 Mercer Street   New York, N.Y. 10012
(212) 460-7157                               Arpa: Cernivani@NYU.ARPA

ps.  COME HOME JOEY MULLEN!

animal@ihlpa.UUCP (D. Starr) (12/24/85)

Along with a number of other musings on who should be number 2 in the NHL,
Carlo Cernivani made a couple pithy observations about our beloved Norris
division [I mean the hockey teams, not the division of the Norris estate,
which was the cause of an interesting $2.5-million lawsuit agains Bill Wirtz,
owner of the Blackhawks]:

> Before the year started I
> thought Chicago would rebound from last year and turn it around.  Guess not.
>
> Last but not least, you gotta love the Red Wings.  They're making the Ranger
> payroll look like a dime store operation.

The Hawks and Redwings are both suffering from the same problem:  they're
stuck in the Norris division, which means that there's really little or no
reason to play hard during the regular season.  When the whole regular season
serves to eliminate only one team, *and* the division contains one consistently
cellar-bound team like Toronto (does anyone really doubt that they'll pull out
a few come-from-ahead defeats and be eliminated by Valentine's Day?), who
cares if you finish first or fourth, or what your record is?  Those of you
who follow football have probably noticed the difficulty the Bears had playing
hard after they clinched their division.  I've noticed the same problem with
the Hawks all season--much of the time they've just been going through the
motions waiting for the game to end.

You might wonder why the Smythe division doesn't have this problem, even though
it has the certifiably awful L. A. Kings (a Norris team if there ever was one).
I think the reason is that the three remaining teams (Edmonton, of course, takes
first place by default) are fighting to avoid fourth place and its inevitable
first-round elimination at the hands of the Oilers.  If you finish second or
third, you at least have a chance at the second round.

And of course, the Wales conference teams are evenly-enough matched that
nobody's guaranteed a playoff spot until the last week of the season; hence,
good play.

I think the only real solution to this problem is some sort of revision to
the playoff system, one which makes the real season matter for something.
How about this:  only eight teams make the playoffs (instead of 16), with
four being the division champs and the other four being chosen based on
their records (say two from each conference, but they could be from the
same division).  In the Norris division especially, that kind of a playoff
setup could make the regular season games worth watching.

Dan Starr
ihlpa!animal
Chicago Stadium 2nd Balcony 4/D/D/13

cjsgro@watrose.UUCP (Carlo Sgro) (12/25/85)

Dan Starr's article on the state of the Norris Division, in which he states
that only 8 teams should make the playoffs, deserves comment.  Of course,
sixteen teams in the playoffs is ridiculous; the only thing that this
provides is a list of teams who weren't good 'enough' (at all??) as opposed to
teams 'of championship caliber'.  However, until the NHL can make it
financially (and comfortably), we'll never see it changed.  The rationale is
that it would be economically disasterous to reduce the number of playoff
teams, due to the negative stigma of missing the playoffs and the cash that
would be lost to the team owners.  I do not think that we can use more whining
about how badly the NHL is doing.  Let's not be fooled into thinking
that the playoff situation is new, either.  Even when there were only six
teams in the league, a full 66% of them made the playoffs.
--
Carlo Sgro
...![ihnp4||decvax||allegra||clyde||utzoo]!watmath!watrose!cjsgro

"ihnp4 Express:  Overnight to the USA or you don't pay!"

jeff@dciem.UUCP (Jeff Richardson) (12/31/85)

> I think the only real solution to this problem is some sort of revision to
> the playoff system, one which makes the real season matter for something.
> How about this:  only eight teams make the playoffs (instead of 16), with
> four being the division champs and the other four being chosen based on
> their records (say two from each conference, but they could be from the
> same division).  In the Norris division especially, that kind of a playoff
> setup could make the regular season games worth watching.
>
> Dan Starr
> ihlpa!animal
> Chicago Stadium 2nd Balcony 4/D/D/13

Some sort of revision is needed, but Dan's proposal is much too drastic ever
to be considered by the NHL.  A much less drastic and possibly even better
idea would be a return to the system used about 10 years ago:  The first
three teams in each division make the playoffs, with the first place team
getting a bye from the first round.  12 out of 21 teams is a little more
than half so it's a fairly reasonable number of teams to have in the
playoffs, and it adds a lot more meaning to the regular season not just
for the teams around 3rd and 4th place in the division, but also for the
teams around 1st and 2nd, since getting first place in the regular season
actually means something.

With the current standings there would be close battles for 3rd in 3 of
the 4 divisions (possibly even 4 if Toronto continues to play above .500),
with more than two teams being invovled in all but one of them, and there
would also be battles for 1st in two divisions, one between 3 teams and
the other between all 5.  As it is now, finishing first in the division is
not enough of an advantage to be worth trying hard for, so the better teams
in the division really have nothing to play for.  Even in the hotly contested
Adams Division, the teams all know that they have a 80% chance of making the
playoffs and if they do it doesn't matter where they place.  However, with
a bye at stake, things would get pretty hot in Norris Divison (I'll bet
Dan and the other Black Hawk fans would see much better hockey) and much
hotter in the Adams.  Even the Capitals might make a fight of the Patrick
if they were faced with the prospect of getting a bye versus possibly having
to play the Islanders in the 1st round of the playoffs.

I think the NHL would be wise to adopt such a system because, even though
they might balk at it because they'd be losing income from the four 1st vs.
4th series, they would probably make it back and more in increased regular
season revenues.  More importantly though, adopting a reasonable playoff
system would gain the league a lot of respect, which could give them the
better US TV deal that they've always wanted.  The 1st vs. 4th series are
often uninteresting anyway; a regular season game between the 1st and 2nd
teams where a bye may be at stake is a much better attraction.  The often
exciting 2nd vs 3rd series would be kept, and they can leave them as best
of 5 series provided they schedule them with a minimum number of days off,
so that the first place team would not have to sit around too long.
--
Jeff Richardson, DCIEM, Toronto  (416) 635-2073
{linus,ihnp4,uw-beaver,floyd}!utcsri!dciem!jeff

haapanen@watdcsu.UUCP (Tom Haapanen) (01/03/86)

In article <7738@watrose.UUCP> cjsgro@watrose.UUCP (Carlo Sgro) writes:

>Dan Starr's article on the state of the Norris Division, in which he states
>that only 8 teams should make the playoffs, deserves comment.  Of course,
>sixteen teams in the playoffs is ridiculous...

Even more ridiculous is that in the Adams division only four teams
make the playoffs.  A few days ago, Buffalo (in fifth place in the
division and so out of the playoffs) was EIGHTH overall in the league!
TANJ, is there?

				   \tom haapanen
				   watmath!watdcsu!haapanen
I'm all lost in the Supermarket
I can no longer shop happily
I came in here for that special offer
Guaranteed personality				 (c) The Clash, 1979

----
TANJ = There Ain't No Justice (credit to Larry Niven...)

msy@siemens.UUCP (01/04/86)

[if the line eater ate the blue line, there would be no off-side calls]

The idea of 1st place team getting a bye in the first round may sound good to
the players (and possibly to the fans), but the owners will never go for it.
A better solution might be to let the first place team get an uneven home
field advantage.
Four teams from each division will make the playoffs.  The second and third
place team will play a normal 5 game series.  The 1st and 4th place team will
play a 5 game series - all in the 1st place team's home ice.  This might get
a bit UNinteresting since the 1st place team will have too much advantage, but
the following advantages can result (some may be arguable):
- The 4th place team has a chance (though not much of a chance) for the cup.
- The 1st place team gets (light) work out instead of sitting out for a few
  days and be out of shape for the next round.
- The owners are happy because they do not lose any revenue.
- The battle for 1st-2nd place will be very interesting since the 1st place
  team will get such an easy 1st round playoff.
- The battle for 2nd-3rd place will be as interesting as they are now.
- The battle for 3rd-4th place will be very interesting since being 4th means
  no home ice for the 1st round playoff.
- The battle for 4th-5th place will also matter (interesting??) since 5th place
  team will not make it to the playoffs.
As you can see, there are no forseeable faults with this plan.  Any comments??

Siemens Research and Technology Laboratories		Marcus S. Yoo
Princeton, NJ

UUCP:  {ihnp4|princeton|adrvax}!siemens!msy
ARPA:  princeton!siemens!msy

pmm1920@ritcv.UUCP (01/06/86)

> >Dan Starr's article on the state of the Norris Division, in which he states
> >that only 8 teams should make the playoffs, deserves comment.  Of course,
> >sixteen teams in the playoffs is ridiculous...
>
> Even more ridiculous is that in the Adams division only four teams
> make the playoffs.  A few days ago, Buffalo (in fifth place in the
> division and so out of the playoffs) was EIGHTH overall in the league!
> TANJ, is there?
> 				   \tom haapanen
> 				   watmath!watdcsu!haapanen

   There is only one problem to all this speculation and ideas -- the NHL will
never do it!  Unfortunately!  Most of us realize that a different format is
needed.  One of the Adams div. teams will not make the playoffs this year.
They all deserve to be in the playoffs (now that Hartford is better).
Possibly, the NHL will smarten-up a little and, for example (without giving
this a LOT of thought), will take the top 3 teams in each division and then
the top 2 teams in the conference out of the teams remaining (understand?!).
This still gives them 16 teams which is what they want for economic reasons.

					Paul Meyerhofer

jeff@dciem.UUCP (Jeff Richardson) (01/13/86)

> The idea of 1st place team getting a bye in the first round may sound good to
> the players (and possibly to the fans), but the owners will never go for it.
> A better solution might be to let the first place team get an uneven home
> field advantage.
> Four teams from each division will make the playoffs.  The second and third
> place team will play a normal 5 game series.  The 1st and 4th place team will
> play a 5 game series - all in the 1st place team's home ice.  This might get
> a bit UNinteresting since the 1st place team will have too much advantage, but
> the following advantages can result (some may be arguable):
> - The owners are happy because they do not lose any revenue.
> As you can see, there are no forseeable faults with this plan.  Any comments??
>
> Siemens Research and Technology Laboratories		Marcus S. Yoo
> Princeton, NJ
> UUCP:  {ihnp4|princeton|adrvax}!siemens!msy
> ARPA:  princeton!siemens!msy

The only problem I can see with this plan is that the owners of teams that
have a good chance of finishing 4th would probably complain because they
would be losing the revenue from home games in the playoffs.  On the other
hand, the overall revenue would probably be greater because the games in
the first place team's arena would probably be better attended, since in
general interest tends to be higher in the cities with the better teams.
So, if the 4th place team could share some of the profits from the games,
I think it's idea they might just go for.  This is far from being my
favourite alternative playoff method, but I think it's the one that would
be most likely to be accepted, so I'm all for it.  At this stage, I'm
willing to accept anything that will make the regular season meaningful.
--

djm@rayssd.UUCP (Dan R. Murphy) (01/23/86)

> Four teams from each division will make the playoffs.  The second and third
> place team will play a normal 5 game series.  The 1st and 4th place team will
> play a 5 game series - all in the 1st place team's home ice.  This might get
> a bit UNinteresting since the 1st place team will have too much advantage, but
> the following advantages can result (some may be arguable):

I liked your idea very much.  The owners would not go for this because of
the revenue loss (i.e. gate, concessions, souveniers, etc.) the fourth place
team would sustain.

Dan Murphy
Raytheon SSD
Portsmouth, RI

mre@laidbak.UUCP (Mike Eisler) (01/29/86)

Last year someone posted an article that suggested a playoff format that
would both keep the owners happy, and give the regular season meaning.
As I recall, the first place team would play the fourth place team
of the division in a combination best of 5/7 series.  The first place
team need only win 3 games to win the series; the fourth place team
would need to win 4 games to win.  This system would result in the
affected owners giving up only one game of revenue in the initial playoff
round.  The first place team would have home ice advantage too
(the first two games at home, next two away, and last two, if
necessary, at home).
The format of second place team versus third place team would be
unchanged.

The incentive to finish first place in a division is obvious.  The
incentive to finish second place is the same as before.  The incentive
to finish third place is to avoid a tough series against a first place
team.  There is still the incentive to avoid finishing fifth or
sixth, but even more so.

This system really encourages teams to avoid anything worse than a
third place finish.  An owner of a first place team should gladly
give up one game of first round playoff revenue since his odds of
getting second round revenue are better.  I think that this format
would encounter bitter resistance only in divisions where there
is a wide disparity of talent.  Currently, 3 of the divisions are
up for grabs, except Edmonton's (forgive me for not remembering
what division they play in).

lor@ucla-cs.UUCP (02/02/86)

	There have been a lot of talks about playoff format and making
the regular season more meaningful. However, I find an interesting
scenario.

	If the Penguins are locked up with 3rd place and the Islanders
4th in the Patrick Division (this is not impossible, as of 2/1,
Pittsburgh is only 4 points out of 3rd place,) will the Capitals
have incentives to fight for 1st place? We all know they always
lose to the Isles in the playoffs, while they haven't
lost to the Penguins for a couple years.

--
					Eddy Lor
					...!(ihnp4,ucbvax)!ucla-cs!lor

ins_alhg@jhunix.UUCP (Louis H Griffel) (02/12/86)

In article <8656@ucla-cs.ARPA> lor@ucla-cs.UUCP (Edward Lor) writes:

>	If the Penguins are locked up with 3rd place and the Islanders
>4th in the Patrick Division (this is not impossible, as of 2/1,
>Pittsburgh is only 4 points out of 3rd place,) will the Capitals
>have incentives to fight for 1st place? We all know they always
>lose to the Isles in the playoffs, while they haven't
>lost to the Penguins for a couple years.

Why does everyone write off the Islanders?  As of now THEY are only six points
behind the Capitals.  Maybe the Capitals should have to worry about fighting
they Penguins for third instead of the Flyers!!  Maybe the @#$% Penguins
won't even make the playoffs.  Are you guys just jealou of the four
Stanley Cups ???

paul@pilchuckDataio.UUCP (Paul Brownlow in the rain forest) (02/19/86)

> In article <8656@ucla-cs.ARPA> lor@ucla-cs.UUCP (Edward Lor) writes:
>
> >	If the Penguins are locked up with 3rd place and the Islanders
> >4th in the Patrick Division (this is not impossible, as of 2/1,
> >Pittsburgh is only 4 points out of 3rd place,) will the Capitals
> >have incentives to fight for 1st place? We all know they always
> >lose to the Isles in the playoffs, while they haven't
> >lost to the Penguins for a couple years.
> >

> Why does everyone write off the Islanders?  As of now THEY are only six points
> behind the Capitals.  Maybe the Capitals should have to worry about fighting
> they Penguins for third instead of the Flyers!!  Maybe the @#$% Penguins
> won't even make the playoffs.  Are you guys just jealou of the four
> Stanley Cups ???

The Islanders have a reasonable team, but it is *nowhere near* the team
which won 4 consecutive Stanley Cups.  Many of the players that wear
rings on every finger are no longer on the team.  We are not jealous of
the 4 cups (quite an accomplishment!!!), but only realizing the change
in the team and other teams in the division.
--
-------
Paul Brownlow

"You've got to ask yourself one question: 'do I feel lucky?'
  Well, do ya punk?"