[net.sport.hockey] NHL playoffs

jeff@dciem.UUCP (Jeff Richardson) (04/05/84)

Here are my views on the first round of the playoffs:

MINN. VS. CHIC.:  The Hawks are a better team than the 68 points or whatever
it was they got in the regular season, especially now that Secord's back.
However, I think Doug Wilson's still out and Minnesota has too much firepower.
The Hawks may take a game or even two, but not the series.

ST.L. VS. DETR.:  The Blues have been hot over the last month or so, so I
would have picked them to win until this past weekend.  Detroit played well
and beat Toronto last week in a game that Toronto had to win, but St.Louis
lost to that same Toronto team on Saturday in a game that was important to
the Blues but meant nothing to Toronto.  The Wings have Ogrodnick back and
I like their combination of youth and experience, so I'll take them in 5.

EDMO. VS. WINN.:  Give me a break.  Oilers in 3.  This is such a mismatch
it should be Oilers in 2.  After L.A. beat them two years ago the Oilers
have never had trouble getting up for games against bad teams.

CALG. VS. VANC.:  I like the Canucks but they've been a disappointment this
year, while Calgary has been surpisingly good because of added young talent.
They've played well despite missing Reinhart and not having Beers and
McDonald up to par, so they should be able to beat the Canucks in 4 even
without Nilsson.

BOST. VS. MONT.:  I have a gut feeling that this won't be as easy as people
think.  Maybe it's because the Canadiens still have several players with
Stanley Cup experience, plus several good youngsters, and the return of
Rick Green will help their defence.  Maybe it's because they have Bobby
Smith, an excellent player when the chips are down, and a big team that
won't be pushed around in tough playoff hockey.  Or maybe it's because
the last few years they've always lost when they were expected to win, and
now they're expected to lose.  The Bruins are still too good to lose, though.
Boston in 5.

BUFF. VS. QUEB.:  When I watched Buffalo in January, they looked like world
beaters, but since then they've tailed off, and with Perreault out, their
key players are young and inexperienced.  Quebec had a 6-1-1 record against
Buffalo this season, and I think they have the ingredients of a good
playoff team now that they have a defence.  Nordiques in 4.

N.Y.I. VS. N.Y.R.:  Too bad the Rangers slumped late in the season or this
would be a great, close series.  The Islanders have trouble getting up for
the first series.  (Remember 2 years ago when they would have been knocked
out by Pittsburgh had Randy Carlyle not given the puck to John Tonelli alone
in front of Pittsburgh's net?)  They may have less trouble getting up for
their cross-town rivals so I'll give it to the Islanders in 4.

WASH. VS. PHIL.:  The Flyers veterans may finally be slowing down, but their
young players are picking up the slack, so they won't be easy victims like
they were the last two years.  However, it's hard to bet against the leagues
best defensive team, even though their attack will be weak without Bengt
Gustafsson.  I'll go with the Caps in 5 because all the experts say defence
wins in the playoffs.  Maybe it does in the early rounds, but to win the
cup, you need an offence too.

                                     Jeff Richardson
                                     DCIEM, Toronto

rosul@nmtvax.UUCP (04/17/84)

	And then there were 8...........

O.K.-what are your choices for the Stanley Cup championships. Mail me you
oddmaker, but I say an Islander-Oiler final, with the Islanders taking it
in 5 games. Thanks.

	Ronald "Not quite all here" Rosul@nmtvax
New Mexico Tech, Socorro, New Mexico

p.s.-"Astro-Ice", from what I heard, is going to be tested at Madison Square
Garden, in New York, within the week. Can anybody in that area keep us posted
as to the results?

mn@dscvax2.UUCP (Matt Noah) (04/09/85)

As usual, it should be interesting.  Here's my two cents worth - I only post
my predictions so I can brag if I'm correct.  Heck, I'm not even sure who is
playing whom but I have some favorites, so ...

LA may give Edmonton some trouble but Edmonton should pull through.  The
Oilers may have trouble with Calgary or Winninpeg the 2nd round, too.
Regardless, whoever makes it out of that quandary should have no problem
with any permutation, combination or derivative of the Stars, Blues, Hawks
or Wings.

Philly looks good.  I had hopes all along for Washington but Philly has
their number.  And if the NYI should get by the Caps, Philly will beat
them to.  The other 4-some I know little about except that one of the
teams (Montreal or Buffalo, I think) gave Philly fits during the year.
Well, since I think the Flyers are the cat's meow right now, I have to
pick them to beat whoever they face.

Philly vs. Edmonton?  If the Oilers and Flyers make it to the Cup, I hope
Edmonton can give them a good series.  The Oilers have to be wondering
how to beat Philly since I don't think they did it all year - please
someone correct me if I'm wrong (one need not ask on the net!).  Philly
in 5 or 6.

Matt Noah

rick@ucla-cs.UUCP (04/11/85)

As long as we are giving playoff predictions, here are mine:

   Campbell Conference

      Norris Division
	 St Louis - Minnesota
	    the blues should sweep but watch for the north stars to try to
	    salvage a bad season.
	 Chicago - Detroit
	    the hawks are a much better team than their record, and have been
	    playing great lately.
	 St Louis - Chicago
	    the hawks will win, but there will be lots of fights (watch for
	    savard to bite someone).

      Smythe Division
	 Edmonton - Los Angeles
	    of course the oilers should wipe them out, but the kings have
	    played them tough lately. the oilers will survive, but the kings
	    will scare them (and someone will get hurt).
	 Winnipeg - Calgary
	    two hot teams here, but winnipeg is hotter - and hungrier.
	 Edmonton - Winnipeg
	    the jets have broken the oiler stigma this season and will play
	    them very hard. look for a 6 or 7 game series with edmonton
	    *surviving*.

      Edmonton - Chicago
	 the hawks are hot, and oilers are beat up. the hawks will jump
	 up and bite the oilers. chicago in 6.

   Wales Conference

      Patrick Division
	 Philadelphia - New York Rangers
	    of course philadelphia will win, right? well, they should but
	    this is a very young team. and poulin is no clarke. flyers in
	    4.
	 Washington - New York Islanders
	    the young versus the old? nope, the islanders had 6 rookies on
	    the team this year, AND they have the old hands too. islanders
	    in 4 or 5 very good games.
	 Philadelphia - New York Islanders
	    the flyers are simply too inexperienced to handle the battle
	    hardened islanders. could be an isle's sweep.

      Adams Division
	 Montreal - Boston
	    sounds like last year, doesn't it? no one gives the bruins a
	    chance. well, neither do i 'cause there are too many key
	    players missing.
	 Quebec - Buffalo
	    look for the sabres to even things up after last year. this
	    series will go the distance.
	 Montreal - Buffalo
	    i still don't think the canadiens are for real. it is time for
	    scotty bowman's kiddy corps to grow up. buffalo in 6.

      New York Islanders - Buffalo
	 well, the sabres grew up a little, but they still can't handle
	 real men. the islanders in 5 or 6.

Stanley Cup Finals
   Chicago Black Hawks - New York Islanders
      experience is on the side of the islanders, and you can lose a lot
      of money betting against them. new york in 6.

Remember, you heard it here first.
--

			       Rick Gillespie
				  rick@ucla-cs

	"She turned me into a newt! . . . I got better."

lor@ucla-cs.UUCP (04/11/85)

In article <4764@ucla-cs.ARPA> rick@ucla-cs.UUCP (Richard Gillespie) writes:
>As long as we are giving playoff predictions, here are mine:
>
>	 Washington - New York Islanders
>	    the young versus the old? nope, the islanders had 6 rookies on
>	    the team this year, AND they have the old hands too. islanders
>	    in 4 or 5 very good games.
>
>	 Philadelphia - New York Islanders
>	    the flyers are simply too inexperienced to handle the battle
>	    hardened islanders. could be an isle's sweep.
>
>      New York Islanders - Buffalo
>	 well, the sabres grew up a little, but they still can't handle
>	 real men. the islanders in 5 or 6.
>
>Stanley Cup Finals
>   Chicago Black Hawks - New York Islanders
>      experience is on the side of the islanders, and you can lose a lot
>      of money betting against them. new york in 6.

	This is the most wishful prediction I have even seen. Do
any Islander fans in New York think your team can go all the way?
As Dennis Potvin said, their bump-and-grind style of hockey, which
gave them four Cups, is finally taking the toll. They are physically
and mentally worn out. That's why they had a subpar (to their standards)
regular season. So much for playoff experience, I bet they can't
even win the Patrick division, let alone the Cup.

Remember, you've heard it here first.

--
					Eddy Lor
					...!ucbvax!ucla-cs!lor

lake@alberta.UUCP (Robert Lake) (04/16/85)

The New York Islanders winning the Stanley Cup??  Didn't you mean to post
this article about two weeks ago?  Like Eddy, I can't see the Islanders
getting out of their own division.  Philadelphia has been too hot lately,
and the Islanders, despite their playoff experience, cannot match their
age against the Flyer's youth and speed.  As for Chicago beating the
Oilers, despite being an Oiler fan, I think that too is wishful thinking.
The Oilers have proven (to my satisfaction at least) that they can play
a good defensive game when necessary.  That, combined with their better
offensive talent, should be too much for the Black Hawks.  Of course,
this depends upon the Oilers getting past Winnipeg (another team which
has vastly improved in the past two months).

For what it is worth, here are my predictions (as of April 15):
	Wash-NYI		Washington should take the last game
	Mon-Bos			Montreal
	Que-Buf			Quebec (offence beats defence in this case)

Quarter-finals:
	Phi-Was			Phi. in 4
	Mon-Que			Another classic Quebec series - the
				Canadiens in 6 or 7.
	Min-Chi			Chicago in 6.
	Edm-Win			Edmonton in 6.

Semi-finals:
	Edm-Chi			Edmonton in 4 or 5.
	Phi-Mon			Flyers in 4 or 5.

Finals:
	Edm-Phi			Flyers in 6 (they look TOO good).

One more fearless prediction:

If the Oilers win the Stanley Cup, Paul Coffey will win the Smythe
trophy for MVP of the playoffs.  His play this year has been tremendous,
and I'll be disappointed if he doesn't take the Norris trophy as well.
I don't think there is a finer defenceman (Langway included) playing
in the league today.
					Robert Lake (alberta!lake)
					University of Alberta

lor@ucla-cs.UUCP (04/27/85)

	Are the Oilers better than the Flyers? Definitely!
When they don't play as well as they can but still coast to victories,
it's a hell of a team! Look how they squeezed past the Kings
and the first game against the Jets. Gee, they have characters.
The same character that brought the Celtics the NBA title last year.
When you play well and win, like the Flyers do, that's neccessary but
not sufficient to be a champion. When you do NOT play well and
win, that's the sign of a champion. You have enough talent to win.
Have you seen New Jersey or Toronto play a subpar game and win?

	The Flyers have been red hot for more than two months.
They won 22 out of the last 24 (?), but haven't they peaked too
early? Look at the Oilers, they just get out of a slump, and
they are going to turn hot. You have to peak in May, not
March or April, to win the Stanley Cup.

	As for my prediction (this is a better time to predict):
Assume Montreal can eliminate Quebec, and the Islander dream is over.

Montreal - Philadelphia:
	Either Montreal in seven or Philadelphia in six, it doesn't matter.

Edmonton - Chicago:
	Oilers in four or five.

Edmonton - Montreal/Philadelphia:
	Whoever gets out of the Philadelphia/Montreal series is
too beat up to survive the Oilers. One definite advantage the
Oilers have is their easy road to the cup final every year,
while the team in the Wales conference always comes
out of a blood bath. The Oilers are DEFINITELY going to repeat.
Oilers in five.

jmd@rduxb.UUCP (Joseph M. Dakes, AT&T Bell Labs, Reading, Pa.) (04/29/85)

> 	Are the Oilers better than the Flyers? Definitely!
> When they don't play as well as they can but still coast to victories,
> it's a hell of a team! Look how they squeezed past the Kings
> and the first game against the Jets. Gee, they have characters.
> The same character that brought the Celtics the NBA title last year.
> When you play well and win, like the Flyers do, that's neccessary but
> not sufficient to be a champion. When you do NOT play well and
> win, that's the sign of a champion. You have enough talent to win.
> Have you seen New Jersey or Toronto play a subpar game and win?

character and they're a fine team but you have to admit the Flyers are too.
The Flyers just finished blowing out the Rangers and the Islanders (Stanley
Cup finalists for the last five years).  Against the Isles at playoff time
its play well and win or watch the Stanley Cup Playoffs at home.  Beating LA
and Winnipeg by playing well or not does not a champion make.

> 	The Flyers have been red hot for more than two months.
> They won 22 out of the last 24 (?), but haven't they peaked too
> early? Look at the Oilers, they just get out of a slump, and
> they are going to turn hot. You have to peak in May, not
> March or April, to win the Stanley Cup.

Add to that the Flyers winning 6 out of 7 in the playoffs.  Seems like they're
just beginning to peak to me.

> Edmonton - Montreal/Philadelphia:
> 	Whoever gets out of the Philadelphia/Montreal series is
> too beat up to survive the Oilers. One definite advantage the
> Oilers have is their easy road to the cup final every year,
> while the team in the Wales conference always comes
> out of a blood bath. The Oilers are DEFINITELY going to repeat.
> Oilers in five.
>
> Remember, you heard it here first.
>
> 					Eddy Lor
> 					...!ucbvax!ucla-cs!lor
> 					lor@ucla-locus.arpa

Assuming Edmonton gets past Chicago and the Flyers beat Quebec, I'll take the
Flyers in 6.  Good pitching beats good hitting everytime and the way Pelle
Lindbergh and the Flyers defense have been playing in the playoffs you gotta
believe.

						Joseph M. Dakes
						AT&T Bell Laboratories
						Reading, PA
						rduxb!jmd

P.S.
	I'll take the Sixers over the Celtics too.

jeff@dciem.UUCP (Jeff Richardson) (03/21/86)

Has anybody heard anything about what NHL playoff games will be shown
on TV in Canada?  This year, the NHL has finally smartened up and abandoned
the stupid practice of having all series playing on the same day, so now that
there are three networks showing games, we should be able to see a playoff
game every night!  When I read about this year's playoff schedule, which
after the first round has the Wales Conference series playing one night
and the Campbells playing the next, it was the best hockey news I've
heard all season.  It always upset me having to miss so many playoff
games because the NHL was too stupid to schedule them on different nights.
--
Jeff Richardson, DCIEM, Toronto  (416) 635-2073
{linus,ihnp4,uw-beaver,floyd}!utcsri!dciem!jeff

wjjordan@watdragon.UUCP (W. Jim Jordan) (03/23/86)

In article <1817@dciem.UUCP> jeff@dciem.UUCP (Jeff Richardson) writes:
>Has anybody heard anything about what NHL playoff games will be shown
>on TV in Canada?

I don't know what will be shown, Jeff, but I do know that we're going to
be stuck with the Leafs for a week... sigh.

						jim

--
DEFINITION:  Honeywell DPS8/49: The world's most expensive print spooler.

			W. Jim Jordan
CANADA POST (3 weeks):	c/o Conrad Grebel College, Waterloo, Ont., N2L 3G6
USENET (overnight): 	...!watmath!watdragon!wjjordan