[net.music] net.music.gdead

woods (02/08/83)

  In light of groups like net.wobegon, surely the following list demonstrates
that there are sufficient DeadHeads on the network to form our own group.
Since it fits naturally as a subgroup of net.music, I propose that we
create net.music.dead (net.music.gdead has 15 characters). That way those who
aren't interested in music at all will never see it, and those not into the
Dead can easily unsubscribe.
   Someone unilaterally removed the net.gdead group again, so I have to post
this here.  If you object to that, tough &%#*@!. Flames will go to /dev/null.

  Here it is at long last, the list of network Dead Heads. The people with
asterisks next to their names have expressed an interest in trading tapes.
These names are listed in the order I received them (because that's easiest
for me). Please note this list is very old. If you would like to be added/
deleted/have your path changed, mail me. Here it is:

     ucbvax!menlo70!sri-unix!knutsen             Andrew Knutsen

     ucbvax!ucbcory!cc-43                        Stewart Huckaby

*    ucbvax!allegra!lacy                         Jack Lacy

     ucbvax!menlo70!hplabs!hp-pcd!tw
     and                                         Tw Cook
     ucbvax!menlo70!hplabs!hp-pcd!charlie

     ucbvax!lbl-unix!rice!skw                    Scott K. Warren

     ucbvax!G:wwww                               Bill Williams

*    ucbvax!ihnss!houxi!houxa!kfb                     ?

     ucbvax!uwvax!msm                            Mark S. Manasse

     ucbvax!ihnss!ihuxo!schnable                 Andy Schnable

     ucbvax!menlo70!hplabs!Faunt@HP-THOR         Doug

     ucbvax!ucbcad!tekcad!paulp                  Paul Pomes

*    ucbvax!hplabs!hao!woods                     Greg Woods (me!)
     decvax!brl-bmd!hao!woods
     harpo!seismo!hao!woods
     menlo70!hao!woods

*    ucbvax!ihnss!mhtsa!rick                     Rick Mascitti

     ucbvax!menlo70!nsc!katic                     Jim Katic

     ...!lime!burdvax!hdj                         Herb Jellinek

     .... ucbvax!hpda!fh or ...hplabs!hpda!fh     Fred Harder

     hao!nbires!nbienga!rcd                       Dick Dunn
     (see my path for paths to hao)

     Whew! That's a lot of Dead Heads!

                        GREG

ee163hp (02/12/83)

Another vote for "net.music.dead" -- Larry West, UCSD

norskog (02/13/83)

#N:fortune:7200007:000:382
fortune!norskog    Feb 12 15:22:00 1983

I suggest the creation of net.music.frozen, devoted to all
current performers who have not had a new musical idea in the past
10 years.  This, of course, would include the Dead, the Who,
the Stones, Tony Bennett, and all of those other has-beens.
(Within 5 years, all of the above rockers will be regulars on
Merv Griffin and Mike Douglas.)

				Lance Norskog
				Fortune Systems

ee163hp (02/14/83)

Say, Lance, why not go to a Dead concert and see what it's all about?

Of course, they're not for everybody, but if you can open up for a
while, you might notice that they do some mighty fine things within
the framework of rock-and-roll.

As far as new ideas go, I think they still do fairly well.   Perhaps
you should think about what you mean by "new", and how often you've
actually heard anything "new" in rock-and-roll.   Camel?  Residents?
Yardbirds?

(If you do find yourself going to a Dead concert, be sure to stay for
the second set.)

      -- Larry West, UCSD

G:fantods (02/14/83)

Although I do not see the point of creating a separate Grateful Dead
newsgroup, since there probably won't be  a LOT of activity,
the Dead are not so much a musical group anymore as a center for
a mobile subculture, and perhaps the newsgroup should reflect this

G:fantods (02/14/83)

Sorry, hit the wrong key there.
...perhaps the newsgroup should reflect this, and be net.space.dead
or net.auto.dead or whatever.  Otherwise just keep it in net.music,
since it will give all of us who aren't Deadheads something to
snarl, mumble, laugh or smile at.  Perhaps a new "religious war"
will start, and converts will be made on both sides.

The only other group that I know of that has such a devoted following
right now is the Monkees.

Anyone know what Laurie Anderson's new show it like, or if it's new?
She's coming through San Fran in March.  Anybody on the net going
to be there?

Richard Moorman

death (02/14/83)

if people are willing to subscribe to it, and YOU are not
interested in reading it, who cares?!?!?!?!

just because i don't happen to be interested in net.games.atari, i
don't make a big stink over other people wanting to read it!

AAAAAAAKKKKK! %PA1050 - user inarticulate

trb (02/15/83)

I have no firsthand information on Laurie Anderson's new show, but it
has gotten attention in New York Magazine and in the New York Times.
Each has done a long spread on her and her new production, and each has
given her quite favorable reviews.  Both publications are respectable,
so I'd not hesitate to go see her if I were interested.

	Andy Tannenbaum   Bell Labs  Whippany, NJ   (201) 386-6491

thomas (02/15/83)

Like, uh, what's wrong with net.gdead?  Like, it already exists, man.
=Spencer

bottom@katadn.DEC (03/20/85)

This is a YES vote.

What I also propose is that all of you deadheads should no longer withhold your
traffic. Bury this forum if you can, maybe some of the people who oppose such
change for no discernable reason will change their minds.

				*db*

dec-rhea!dec-katadn!bottom

jackson@curium.DEC (Seth Jackson) (03/21/85)

> Why a newsgroup for ONE SINGLE ROCK BAND??

Because the demand exists for it.

Seth

"We used to play for silver, now we play for life..."

jackson@curium.DEC (Seth Jackson) (03/21/85)

>I hereby propose the following additional subgroups:
>	net.music.beatles
>	net.music.stones
>	net.music.who
>	net.music.beachboys
>	net.music.yes
>	net.music.genesis
>	net.music.siouxsie&thebanshees
>	net.music.residents
>	net.music.huskerdu
>	net.music.pristinearea
>
>To be followed soon thereafter by:
>	net.music.beatles.XXXX  where XXXX is a beatle
>			[jokes about net.music.beatles.dead will be shredded]
>	net.music.genesis.withgabriel
>	net.music.yes.no
>	net.music.dead.drugs
>
>Is there anyone else who thinks THEIR favorite group is so different from
>the rest of the world of music that it deserves its own subgroup because
>it would just be IMpossible to discuss things in net.music?
>
>In case you hadn't guessed, this is a NO vote.
>--
>"Right now it's only a notion, but I'm hoping to turn it into an idea, and if
> I get enough money I can make it into a concept."       Rich Rosen pyuxd!rlr

Rich, you have succeed in demonstrating to all of us your complete lack of
understanding of not only the Dead and their fans, but also of the issue
at hand.

If there were a large group of people who felt strongly enough about the
Beatles or the Who or Husker Du or you-name-it, such that they wanted a
newsgroup where they could exchange info and trivia such as songlists, tour
dates, anecdotes, bootleg tape lists, wild descriptions of cosmic jams and
unlikely song combinations, who's going to what shows in what cities, etc.,
then I would say, well, go ahead and form a newsgroup. But the fact is,
that there is not demand for such a newsgroup for the Beatles, the Who,
Husker Du, or you-name-it, but there *IS* demand for such a newsgroup
for the Grateful Dead.

There, Rich. Did I explain that simply enough for you to understand?

Seth Jackson

"Don't lend your hand to raise no flag atop no ship of fools"

lip@masscomp.UUCP (John Lipinski) (03/22/85)

Here is another YES vote for net.music.dead.  Just supporting
the other Grateful Dead fans.

6615lp13@sjuvax.UUCP (palena) (03/22/85)

In article <1211@decwrl.UUCP> jackson@dec-curium.UUCP writes:

>>I hereby propose the following additional subgroups:
>>	net.music.beatles
>>	net.music.stones
>>	net.music.who
>>	net.music.beachboys
>>	net.music.yes
>>	net.music.genesis
>>	net.music.siouxsie&thebanshees
>>	net.music.residents
>>	net.music.huskerdu
>>	net.music.pristinearea
>>
>>To be followed soon thereafter by:
>>	net.music.beatles.XXXX  where XXXX is a beatle
>>			[jokes about net.music.beatles.dead will be shredded]
>>	net.music.genesis.withgabriel
>>	net.music.yes.no
>>	net.music.dead.drugs
>>
>>Is there anyone else who thinks THEIR favorite group is so different from
>>the rest of the world of music that it deserves its own subgroup because
>>it would just be IMpossible to discuss things in net.music?
>>
>>In case you hadn't guessed, this is a NO vote.
>>--
>>"Right now it's only a notion, but I'm hoping to turn it into an idea, and if
>> I get enough money I can make it into a concept."       Rich Rosen pyuxd!rlr
>
>Rich, you have succeed in demonstrating to all of us your complete lack of
>understanding of not only the Dead and their fans, but also of the issue
>at hand.
>
>If there were a large group of people who felt strongly enough about the
>Beatles or the Who or Husker Du or you-name-it, such that they wanted a
>newsgroup where they could exchange info and trivia such as songlists, tour
>dates, anecdotes, bootleg tape lists, wild descriptions of cosmic jams and
>unlikely song combinations, who's going to what shows in what cities, etc.,
>then I would say, well, go ahead and form a newsgroup. But the fact is,
>that there is not demand for such a newsgroup for the Beatles, the Who,
>Husker Du, or you-name-it, but there *IS* demand for such a newsgroup
>for the Grateful Dead.
>
>There, Rich. Did I explain that simply enough for you to understand?
>
>Seth Jackson
>
>"Don't lend your hand to raise no flag atop no ship of fools"

       How about a net.music.that.is.offensive.and.has.little.or.no.artistic.
   value.except.that.it.is novel.in.that.the.musicians.play.out.of.tune..

           It seems that these types of bands are heavily discussed on this
      net.If any certain type of band deserves its own net it's this type.

rlr@pyuxd.UUCP (Professor Wagstaff) (03/23/85)

> This is a YES vote.
>
> What I also propose is that all of you deadheads should no longer withhold
> your traffic. Bury this forum if you can, maybe some of the people who oppose
> such change for no discernable reason will change their minds.
> dec-rhea!dec-katadn!bottom

[FLAME ON]
There.  That sounds like a reasoned, thinking person's way of settling the
issue.  It's apparent that at least some of the people supporting the
notion of a separate group seem to be stuck on some sort of childish notion
that having your "own" group offers your musical taste some sort of
"legitimacy" that it wouldn't have otherwise.  ("See, my group has its own
group.  Nyaah.")  As evidenced above.

A warning:  "bury" the forum, and I'm sure it can be arranged that automatic
article posters can "bury" the dead group.  No pun intended.
--
Anything's possible, but only a few things actually happen.
					Rich Rosen    pyuxd!rlr

rlr@pyuxd.UUCP (Professor Wagstaff) (03/23/85)

>     I hearby put out a call to all deaders in net.music land to put at
> least on piece of Deadism on net news per day.  Eventually, we will have
> what we deserve, NET.MUSIC.DEAD.  Net.music.jackson will never come into
> being because of the biggest difference between deadheads and all other
> music fans, and that is that we are together.  [ANDY BINDMAN]

> What I also propose is that all of you deadheads should no longer withhold
> your traffic. Bury this forum if you can, maybe some of the people who oppose
> such change for no discernable reason will change their minds. [D. BOTTOM]

While I don't want to discourage people from posting music relevant topics
to net.music, this smacks of mob violence and a group of babies trying to
get their way by any means.  I say, go ahead, post any and all material.
First you'll be tired of typing in a week, and second, in the future, when
there actually are relevant things to talk about (like tour schedules),
you'll have a place to post them: net.music .

>      There are many good reasons why there is a need for net.music.dead.
> No matter how you cut it a deadhead is a different sort of animal, as
> different as a Dead concert is from any other one.
>
>      We like to wear our hair all long and shaggy.
>      We do get our kicks on LSD...			[BINDMAN]

Now that you're through telling us how unique you are, let me say that every
fan of every group/artist is unique.  Unless you WANT a newsgroup for every
artist in the universe.  That way cave people can subscribe to only those
groups related to artists they already like, and thus avoid contamination from
accidentally hearing (about) something new...
--
Meet the new wave, same as the old wave...
      				Rich Rosen     ihnp4!pyuxd!rlr

bruns@wanginst.UUCP (Glenn Bruns) (03/24/85)

    NET.MUSIC.GDEAD voting form:

__  No way they get their own newsgroup.  If we let THEM have THEIR own
    newsgroup then we'll soon end up with net.music.shatner

XX  I vote yes for net.music.gdead.  They can't tune their instruments
    and their fans can't dance.  Good-bye and good riddance.

__  Never heard of them; is this Debby Harry's new band?

cliff@unmvax.UUCP (03/26/85)

>> What I also propose is that all of you deadheads should no longer withhold
>> your traffic. Bury this forum if you can, maybe some of the people who oppose
>> such change for no discernable reason will change their minds.
>> dec-rhea!dec-katadn!bottom
>
> [FLAME ON]
> There.  That sounds like a reasoned, thinking person's way of settling the
> issue.  It's apparent that at least some of the people supporting the
> notion of a separate group seem to be stuck on some sort of childish notion
> that having your "own" group offers your musical taste some sort of
> "legitimacy" that it wouldn't have otherwise.  ("See, my group has its own
> group.  Nyaah.")  As evidenced above.

Of course whether or not people have the wrong reason for wanting a newsgroup
shouldn't prevent the creation assuming there is proper justification (the
"right reason") for such a group...

> A warning:  "bury" the forum, and I'm sure it can be arranged that automatic
> article posters can "bury" the dead group.  No pun intended.
> --
> Anything's possible, but only a few things actually happen.
> 					Rich Rosen    pyuxd!rlr

Not quite the first time that someone gets burned on a "bury" quote...
Perhaps, and I can't speak for him, bottom was encouraging people
like me, who have information that is of interest to deadheads and few
others to go ahead and post it to net.music.  In my case I am waiting until
I can clear up some inaccuracies and I am hoping for the creation of
net.dead, because I anticipate flames when I post a (compacted) set of
playlists from 1975 to present.  No doubt some people will be convinced that
I am attempting to bury net.music, but that is not at all the case... there
have been many people who have asked me for this information.

Now for the rumor (from Mikel Box 4403 Covina CA 91723 {send him some
S.A.S.E. to receive his periodic newsletter}):

    * was there a confrontation led by Mickey Hart on Friday where the
      band told Jerry he must do something about his problems?
    * did Jerry respond to this by leaving the house he was staying
      in for weeks at a time and return to the panhandle at a spot
      near where the Grateful Dead lived in the 60's?
    * was Jerry's response of going to the Panhandle and sit in his
      car free basing cocaine a crying out, both for the simpler
      days of the 60's and a crying out for help?

Hmmm...  It interesting to see interviews in which Jerry and Mickey are asked
what brought the end to the wonderful times at Haight-Ashbury.  Jerry says
~the cops~  Mickey says ~the junkies.~  Mickey is quite anti-addict; he keeps
himself very fit.  I can see how there might be such a confrontation.

	--Cliff

cliff@unmvax.UUCP (03/26/85)

> XX  I vote yes for net.music.gdead.  They can't tune their instruments
>     and their fans can't dance.  Good-bye and good riddance.

But at least Jerry *tries* :-)  Does anyone know whether it is true that:

The Grateful Dead have been asked to not return to more different venues than
any other band has played?

There are more hours of Jerry tuning up on cassette then pounds of Grateful
Dead albums?

			--Cliff

carl@ncr-tp.UUCP (Carl Kuck) (03/27/85)

   As precedent for the current "discussion" to have/have not a net.music.gdead
newsgroup, I would like to cite net.tv.drwho. Who, you say? :-)  This is an
example of a special interest subgroup, and a successful one too, I might add.
Therefore, I say - "GIVE IT TO THEM, ALREADY..."  If Deadheads are willing to
foot the bill for their own newsgroup, WHY NOT???  Net.tv.drwho *has not* led
to the creation of endless net.tv.bulls**t groups, as some have suggested the
Dead newsgroup would do to net.music.  Perhaps those opposed to a special
interest subgroup feel that this adds more "worth" to the music enjoyed by
others, while somehow detracting from the value of their own listening choices.
*So what's the big deal????????*  Enough is enough ...  Maybe we should discuss
Gar's favorite method of making base ... :-) :-) :-)

P.S. I am not now, nor have I ever been, a Deadhead - tho' many of my friends
     *are* ...

When asked how to pronounce his name, he replied :

  "You can call me by my name, "Virt", or you can call me by my value, "worth".

--
     Happy Hacking, Carl  (carl@ncr-tp)

" Ask me no questions and I might not tell you any lies ... fnord ... "

rlr@pyuxd.UUCP (Dr. Emmanuel Wu) (03/28/85)

>>>What I also propose is that all of you deadheads should no longer withhold
>>>your traffic. Bury this forum if you can, maybe some of the people who oppose
>>>such change for no discernable reason will change their minds.
>>> dec-rhea!dec-katadn!bottom

>>[FLAME ON]
>>There.  That sounds like a reasoned, thinking person's way of settling the
>>issue.  It's apparent that at least some of the people supporting the
>>notion of a separate group seem to be stuck on some sort of childish notion
>>that having your "own" group offers your musical taste some sort of
>>"legitimacy" that it wouldn't have otherwise.  ("See, my group has its own
>>group.  Nyaah.")  As evidenced above. [ROSEN]

> Of course whether or not people have the wrong reason for wanting a newsgroup
> shouldn't prevent the creation assuming there is proper justification (the
> "right reason") for such a group...  [unmvax!cliff]

I still don't think we've seen that.  That doesn't seem to stop some people...

>>A warning:  "bury" the forum, and I'm sure it can be arranged that automatic
>>article posters can "bury" the dead group.  No pun intended.

> Not quite the first time that someone gets burned on a "bury" quote...
> Perhaps, and I can't speak for him, bottom was encouraging people
> like me, who have information that is of interest to deadheads and few
> others to go ahead and post it to net.music.

I'd say advocating "burying the forum" is not equivalent requesting that
information be posted, which of course there's nothing wrong with.
--
Anything's possible, but only a few things actually happen.
					Rich Rosen    pyuxd!rlr

ckk@cmu-cs-g.ARPA (Chris Koenigsberg) (03/28/85)

Forgive me for adding to the deluge....I consider myself a
reasonably educated music listener and I appreciate the
unusual phenomenon of the Deadhead subculture.

Very few groups formed back in the early '60's are still
playing and touring extensively as the Dead are today.
There are probably three generations of Deadheads alive today.
With the conservative backlash trying to eliminate all forms
of non-conformity from society, and confine our federal
government to nothing but a huge metallic WAR MACHINE, the
indestructible Deadhead subculture is one of our strongest
defenses against the fascists. Compare it to the solidarity
underground in Poland for a moment....

I resisted listening to the Grateful Dead for many years until a
woman friend took me to see the concert movie. I realized I
had been missing something wonderful. So (this was back in the
middle '70's) I attended several Dead concerts, in Philadelphia
and then in Pittsburgh, Pa. where I still reside.

It has been ten years or so since then, but maybe it's time
for another dead concert for me. Are they really coming to
Pgh. July 5 as someone posted??

          Chris Koenigsberg
          tektronix!hplabs!hao!seismo!rochester!cmu-cs-pt!cmu-cs-g!ckk
          ckk@cmu-cs-g.arpa
1025 MurrayHill Ave.
Pittsburgh, Pa. 15217
(412)362-6422
"The creative person looks upon everything in the world as a predator"
                    -Pierre Boulez

cernese@noname.DEC (Dan Cernese APO-1/C3 DTN 289-1120) (03/29/85)

>Newsgroups: net.music
>Subject: The Dead Experience & Tripping
>
>     One unique thing about Grateful Dead concerts is that approximately
>30-50% of the attendees are tripping.  This may
>not be interesting to those of you out there who haven't experienced the
>alternate reality of these 'magical' substances, but those of you who

.
.
.
>importance and sharpness of your sences.  Colors, tastes, smells and
>music, espcially music are wonderful.  The Dead, gear their music to
>stimulate these reactions to music.  The music is at times intense,
>moving you higher and higher then dropping you then picking you up and
>bringing you even higher.  The intensity can get frightening but just
>when it is too much to bear, they break into the most sedate and
>melodious pastoral music in which you can smell the fields and stream
>they evoke.  The lyrics are also both stimulating to confusion then
>understanding and reassuring.  In one song, often played after a long
>unmelodious passage, the words "...If you get confused, listen to the
>music play..." leap out at you and grab you and hold and comfort you.
>
>     At a Dead concert many people are tripping.  It seems as if
>everyone is on the same wavelength.
>You can look at the person next to you, who you have never met before and
>you KNOW that they KNOW what you are feeling. You are really soulmates
>for that short time. Brought together by the music but also the
>experience.
>
>     I know many who read this will be skeptical to say the least.  And
>you will never KNOW.
>
>                                 C. Charlie

	I agree with all of my heart and soul...  it has made me the person
I am today, and I'm proud of it.  I've only been going to Dead shows for
five years and every one of them had something to offer (although not every
one of them is a truly ~hot~ show).  What can I say?  Words simply cannot
convey the enormous emotions that the Dead/audience throw around (and back
and forth) during a good concert.  Once in a while, after a particular night
or two of ~hot~ shows, I think to myself "If I died tomorrow, at least I
would have died a happy man".  Dead shows put me in such a good mood that
I'm usually suspiciously happy at work (people wonder... its great!)...

				Dan

"roll away..... roll away.. ..the dew.. roll away... roll away.. ..the dew.."

rlr@pyuxd.UUCP (Dr. Emmanuel Wu) (04/01/85)

> Forgive me for adding to the deluge....I consider myself a
> reasonably educated music listener and I appreciate the
> unusual phenomenon of the Deadhead subculture.
>
> Very few groups formed back in the early '60's are still
> playing and touring extensively as the Dead are today.
> There are probably three generations of Deadheads alive today.
> With the conservative backlash trying to eliminate all forms
> of non-conformity from society, and confine our federal
> government to nothing but a huge metallic WAR MACHINE, the
> indestructible Deadhead subculture is one of our strongest
> defenses against the fascists. Compare it to the solidarity
> underground in Poland for a moment....

I just did.  I can't stop laughing.  A bunch of wasted hippies on drugs
seeing themselves as analogous to the resistance of the Solidarity
movement, fighting for "freedom" in a way similar to what Poles have had
to go through.  It's just hysterical.  And truly degrading to what those
people have had to go through.  The "deadhead subculture" is perhaps
one of THE single strongest elements within the new yuppie subculture,
neo-conservative non-youths in business suits get to dress up like they
did back in college and smoke dope and take drugs and drive home in their
BMW's.  This comparison makes me really sick.
--
Life is complex.  It has real and imaginary parts.
					Rich Rosen  ihnp4!pyuxd!rlr

cliff@unmvax.UUCP (04/03/85)

> > With the conservative backlash trying to eliminate all forms
> > of non-conformity from society, and confine our federal
> > government to nothing but a huge metallic WAR MACHINE, the
> > indestructible Deadhead subculture is one of our strongest
> > defenses against the fascists.

Hmmm... the Dead are also one of the few bands that started in the 60's that
were decidedly (as a band at least) non-political.  Perhaps that is one of
the reasons they lasted so long.  I don't think the deadhead subculture is
much of a defense against the fascists.  The drug underground much more
extensive and tenacious; what would happen in a fascist overthrow after Jerry
and and friends have been killed?  There would be a few holdouts, but in
general the dead scene (because it is a live scene) would wither.  As for the
dead encouraging non-conformity, I think Boy George is doing a better job;
he is more popular and less-conforming.

> > Compare it to the solidarity
> > underground in Poland for a moment....

I don't think the comparison is a good one.  I don't want to imply that
deadheads aren't politically active, but dead related activity is decidedly
a-political.

> A bunch of wasted hippies on drugs

nice categorizing there...

> seeing themselves as analogous to the resistance of the Solidarity
> movement, fighting for "freedom" in a way similar to what Poles have had
> to go through.

Interesting to see how one letter suddenly stands for a "bunch" and that
that bunch is the "wasted hippies on drugs" group.  If a person from <generic
religion> makes }ia bogus claimxD, tolerant people recognize it for what
it is; a claim made by one person, not necessarily the views of the whole
organization.

> The "deadhead subculture" is perhaps
> one of THE single strongest elements within the new yuppie subculture,
> neo-conservative non-youths in business suits get to dress up like they
> did back in college and smoke dope and take drugs and drive home in their
> BMW's.

Please back this up with something other then top-of-the-head assertions.

	--Cliff [Matthews]
	{purdue, cmcl2, ihnp4}!lanl!unmvax!cliff
	{csu-cs, pur-ee, convex, gatech, ucbvax}!unmvax!cliff
	4744 Trumbull S.E. - Albuquerque  NM  87108 - (505) 265-9143

wenner.es@XEROX.ARPA (04/09/85)

There sure are a lot of people out there who MUST get in the last word
on EVERYTHING.  Re: Deadheads vs. Solidarity, to Rich Rosen:  Yeah,
you're right, there's no way that one can submit a valid comparison,
there just isn't the commitment borne of pure persecution in our
suburban lounge culture to compare with the absolute scrapping that such
groups as Solidarity must accomplish to even survive as an entity.

The Greatful Dead make good music, they've been doing so for many, many
years, they offer substance with the rhythms, which have earned them
many fans.  Putting deep political meaning into the Deadhead org. much
beyond the rock n' roll, entertainment side of things seems to me to
become the opinion of the individuals, moreso than a true reflection of
ALL the members of this admittably varied group of people.  Watching the
Dead personnel go through life, and seeing how they handle situations,
provides inspiration to many, but it still boils down that the MUSIC
brings us together,  no matter how old we are or wish we were.

See you all at Irvine Meadows Saturday night!

Jim Wenner
XEROX Microelectronics Center, El Segundo CA
(213)-536-9582

rlr@pyuxd.UUCP (Dr. Emmanuel Wu) (04/12/85)

> There sure are a lot of people out there who MUST get in the last word
> on EVERYTHING.  Re: Deadheads vs. Solidarity, to Rich Rosen:  Yeah,
> you're right, there's no way that one can submit a valid comparison,
> there just isn't the commitment borne of pure persecution in our
> suburban lounge culture to compare with the absolute scrapping that such
> groups as Solidarity must accomplish to even survive as an entity.

Excuse me, but wasn't the ABOVE article an attempt by someone who HAD TO
get in the last word?  Followups are welcome if still more last words are
needed...  (Back to music now, OK?)
--
Meet the new wave, same as the old wave...
      				Rich Rosen     ihnp4!pyuxd!rlr

sowadsky.PA@XEROX.ARPA (04/25/85)

Is there enough interest out there to create an info-dead-music as a
redistribution of net.music.gdead now that Dead info is no longer on
info-music?