[net.music] Explorers - Phil Manzanera and Andy McKay

joeloda@aicchi.UUCP (Joseph D. Loda) (04/18/85)

Tonight, on a program called 'Rock Over London' (a British music show brought
in to local American radio staions), I heard that Phil Manzanera and Andy
McKay of (the apparently defunct) Roxy Music have formed a band called
The Explorers.  Unfortunately, that was all the information I was able
to get.  Anyone have any more information?  Anyone heard anything from
them?
--
Joe Loda
Analysts International (Chicago Branch)

Jones.OSDA@XEROX.ARPA (04/21/85)

  The Explorers are a trio with Manzanera, Mackay and a new singer
(whose name I can't remember).  Their first British single was called
Lorelei and I think they've had at least one more out since then.  They
sound just like a weaker version of late Roxy Music.

  ---David

tracy@hcradm.UUCP (Tracy Tims) (04/21/85)

That's excellent news!  I think that Manzanera writing by himself and/or
with and around the various 801 sorts is far more interesting than Manzanera
stuck with the same old Ferry nonsense (which can, on occasion, sound nice)
in latter day Roxy Music.

                              Tracy Tims    ihnp4!utzoo!hcr!hcrvx1!tracy
   Human Computing Resources Corporation         utcsri!hcr!hcrvx1!tracy
 Toronto, Ontario, Canada.  416 922-1937          dciem!hcr!hcrvx1!tracy

Benjamin%PCO@CISL-SERVICE-MULTICS.ARPA (Paul Benjamin) (04/24/85)

> The Explorers are a trio with Manzanera, Mackay and a new singer
> (whose name I can't remember).  Their first British single was called
> Lorelei and I think they've had at least one more out since then.
> They sound just like a weaker version of late Roxy Music.

How could any group that didn't include Brian Ferry sound anything like
Roxy?  Is Rich Little the lead singer?  Have they released anything in
the States yet?  Does anyone know if Brian Ferry is pursuing a solo
career?

joeloda@aicchi.UUCP (Joseph D. Loda) (04/28/85)

In article <10190@brl-tgr.ARPA> Benjamin%PCO@CISL-SERVICE-MULTICS.ARPA (Paul Benjamin) writes:
>> They sound just like a weaker version of late Roxy Music.
>
>How could any group that didn't include Brian Ferry sound anything like
>Roxy?  Is Rich Little the lead singer?  Have they released anything in
>the States yet?  Does anyone know if Brian Ferry is pursuing a solo
>career?

Last I heard, Bryan Ferry *IS* working on a studio album.  It was orginally due
for release in early to mid April, but last word had it marked for June
release.

BTW, is the Explorers album out in the USA?