[net.micro.pc] INFO-PC 8/3/82

glennw (08/20/82)

>From uucp Thu Aug 19 03:21:43 1982
>From uucps Thu Aug 19 03:13:26 1982 remote from mhuxa
>From uucp Thu Aug 19 03:02:13 1982 remote from mhuxt
>From uucp Thu Aug 19 02:53:44 1982 remote from eagle
>From floyd!cmcl2!philabs!sdcsvax!vicki Thu Aug 19 02:43:00 1982 remote from harpo
Date: Wed Aug 18 23:29:20 1982
To: philabs!cmcl2!floyd!harpo!eagle!mhuxt!mhuxa!mhuxh!glennw

Date:  3 Aug 1982 15:20:08 EDT (Tuesday)
From: Martin Schoffstall <schoff at MINET-FRKEM>
Subject: starting off with the pc
To: info-pc at isib
Cc: schoff at MINET-FRKEM

I am about to acquire an IBM PC but I don't want to spend
a fortune on add-ons, I need to know if anyone could
offer some advice or experiences with the following:

1. I'd like to buy the 16k system ($1265) with the color
   card ($300) from IBM (these are Computerland prices).
2. 16k is not enough but I don't want to pay through the
   nose for an extra 48k, in BYTE there are offerings for
   this 48k for about $110, has anyone out ther done this?
   if so how difficult was it to install?
3. Of course I'd like one floppy disk (slot #2 will be a
   winchester hopefully) there are some offerings again from
   BYTE but do they work and where do I get my DOS?

If anyone could help with these problems I'd appreciate it.

Martin Schoffstall

P.S. my real address is not in Frankfurt but schoff at bbn-unix

 3-Aug-82 14:55:43-PDT,2026;000000000001
Date:  3 Aug 1982 1455-PDT
From: Billy <BRACKENRIDGE at USC-ISIB>
To: schoff at BBN-UNIX, info-pc

Martin:

 Good luck finding a 16K system. The Computerlands I have checked out
refuse to sell them. I had to go to an IBM product center to get a
minimum system. The wholesale price for a 16K system is $922. I have
never seen a system discounted below the announced single system price
of $1265.

 I bought my system from IBM for:

  $1265		16K system
   $300		Color monitor card
   $220		Disk controller card
    $40		DOS

 I then bought my monitor, disks, extra memory and communications controller
from various discount suppliers. My total investment is pushing $5K. That
$1265 price is deceiving. It is only the start...

 Maynard Electronics in Longwood Fla also makes a Disk controller board
for under $200.

 To fill out the extra 48K memory you will need 27 16K ram chips. These
chips wholesale for less than $1.50 each. If you pay more than $2.50
retail you are getting what you deserve. The chips are real simple to
put in, no tools are needed. Just don't bend the pins and make sure they
are all pointing the right direction.

 The disk drive is where you can really save money. IBM is selling single sided
drives to their retailers for $289. I have seen the same drive selling for
about $200. I suppose this explains why the Southern California Computerlands
refuse to sell the basic 16K system.

 A double sided (TANDON TM100-2) drive retails at discount supply houses for
$279 and is worth the extra money for the added capacity.

 If you are really cheap you can go to Radio shack and spend $6.00 for
a cassette cable (part #26-1207) This will give your single disk system
a 640K backup capability on a 60 minute cassette. The cassette controller
is already built in to the system. I might add that I have never seen
a Computerland selling this part.

 Good luck with the Winchesters. I have no answers for you there.

-------

 3-Aug-82 14:48:33-PDT,715;000000000001
Date: 3 Aug 1982 1738-EDT
From: MAZE at MIT-DMS (James Mazer)
To: Info-PC-Request at USC-ISIB

(note: mc, not dm..). Also, I don't know how new this list is, but if there
are archives could you please forward them?

Finally, I do not yet have an ibm, and am debating between
a variety of computers .. at the moment the ibm is number one,
but i have not heard from vary many users as to the problems/
advantages/features yet.. if you or any one you know would
like to fill me in on the above it would be very much
appreciated..
thanks
-Jamie

 3-Aug-82 09:14:45-PDT,823;000000000011
Date:  3 Aug 1982 (Tuesday) 1316-EDT
From: HUNEYCUTT at WPAFB-AFWAL
Subject: Obvious..
To:   Info-PC-Request at USC-ISIB

 Hi Dick,

  I'm not an IBM PC owner, but am interested in the 8088 structure and
system software IBM has used.  Recently heard that IBM left room on-board
for the Intel numeric coprocessor.  Not bad!

  What I'd kinda like to do, seeing as how I got a ton of cash tied up in
my S-100 system, it build the 8088 S-100 board specified is earlier Byte
articles and emulate the IBM machine.  Sort of the best of both worlds.

  If this stance doesn't put me out-of-bounds for your list, I'd like to
be included.  Thanks for your time,

Doug Huneycutt, 1Lt USAF
Air Force Institute of Technology
(Huneycutt@Wpafb-Afwal)

END OF INFO-PC DIGEST
-------
 4-Aug-82 22:26:56-PDT,6424;000000000001
Date:  4 Aug 1982 2226-PDT
From: INFO-PC <INFO-PC at USC-ISIB>
Subject: Info-PC Digest V1 #2
To: Info-PC: ;

Info-PC Digest         Wednesday, 4 August 1982      Volume 1 : Issue 2

Today's Topics:

                          IBM Basic Compiler
                          Printer Interrupts
                    Internal Memory Chips (2 msgs)
                          Displays (2 msgs)
                           Turtle Graphics

Date:  4 Aug 1982 0032-EDT
From: Steve Barber <BARBER at MIT-XX>
Subject: IBM Basic Compiler
To: INFO-PC at USC-ISIB

I have heard (and seen) bad things about the available BASIC compiler
for the IBM PC.  Specifically I have gotten inexplicable
'Internal Error' messages.  IBM wasn't much help.  Has anyone else
experienced difficulties here and if so, what caused them?

       					Steve

-------------------

Date: Wed Aug  4 01:58:15 1982
From: decvax!utzoo!watmath!csc at Berkeley
To: utzoo^decvax^ucbvax^INFO-PC@Usc-Isib
Subject: Printer interrupts

Has anyone got the standard IBM printer to run in an interrupt driven
manner on the IBM?  I'm writing the IBM PC version of a multi-tasking
OS for the 8086 and have tried to write an int. driven driver using
the printer adapter on the B/W video card, but I quite often lose
interrupts.  Looking at the schematic shows that the interrupt is
asserted for as long as one of the printer's handshake lines (I forget
which) is asserted (about 10us), NOT til the int. is acknowledged,
which is bad.  Has anyone else had this problem?  Please reply to me,
at decvax^utzoo^watmath^csc@Berkeley (on the USENet).

  p. rowley, univ. of waterloo

-------------------------

Date:  4 Aug 1982  9:55:05 EDT (Wednesday)
From: Martin Schoffstall <schoff at MINET-FRKEM>
Subject: chips
To: brackenridge at usc-isib
Cc: schoff at MINET-FRKEM, info-pc at isib

Did you make a typo or are you serious about filling out the extra 48k
with 27 16k ram chips?  If so could you explain that to me.

-thanx-
schoff at bbn-unix

--------------------------

Date:  4 Aug 1982 1042-PDT
From: Billy <BRACKENRIDGE at USC-ISIB>
Subject: Re: chips
To: schoff at BBN-UNIX
cc: info-pc

No I didn't make an error. Your source of confusion may come from the
fact that 27 sounds like an odd number. The IBM-PC has one bit of
parity with each byte. That makes 9 bits per byte. (27/9) * 16K = 48K.

Perhaps you also are not aware that there are sockets for these chips
already on the processor board. Any additional memory beyond 64K
requires a seperate memory board. The hardware also requires that this
space be fully populated before any additional memory is added to the
system.

A recent poll at a local PC users group indicated that nearly everyone
in the group had at least 128K of memory. I have 576K and wonder how
people get along with less.

----------------------------

Date:  4 Aug 1982 (Wednesday) 1237-EDT
From: PATTERMANN at LLL-MFE
Subject: IBM games
To:   info-pc at USC-ISIB

 Hi!

Does anyone feel that someday the IBM PC will have available in it's
software base arcade style video games? Are any of the big software
houses that write games for ATARI and APPLE converting programs for
the IBM, or writing new ones? My reasons for asking are this ;

One of the major things I want to do with my home computer (which I
havn't bought yet) is to play good arcade quality video games, like
ones found on the ATARI 800. I also want to do LISP and C programming,
use a good spreadsheet program, and use the system for word
processing. I just am not yet sure that the IBM PC as it stands now,
will address the video game market and if so, when? Any other
opinions......

I think one problem that exists is that the IBM Personal Computer has
three possible displays; the monochrome monitor, the RGB monitor, and
the television. The best games would run on the RGB monitor, but how
many gamers spend the $800 for a RGB monitor, and I would think the
majority of the IBM PC's are sold with the monochrome monitor (I could
be wrong...). I'd be interested in other opinions.

Thanks, Ed

--------------------------

Date:  4 Aug 1982 2152-PDT
From: Dick Gillmann <GILLMANN at USC-ECL>
Subject: Re: IBM games
To: PATTERMANN at LLL-MFE
cc: info-pc at USC-ISIB

There are more possibilities for displays than you have mentioned.  I
am typing this on a high-resolution black-and-white (well,
black-and-green actually) monitor (an AMDEK Video-300) connected to
the color graphics card.  The term "color" here is deceptive.  The
card actually has 3 separate outputs: RGB, composite video, and video
for connecting to an RF modulator.  All 3 can be used at once.  I am
driving my AMDEK off the composite video.  I can display 80 columns
clearly and the AMDEK costs less than $300.

One might ask, why not use the IBM monochrome display with the "color"
card?  Well, the reason why not is that the cabling and signals aren't
compatible.  I just got an advert from Automated Business Machines for
a cable that allows you to drive the monochrome display from the
"color" card.  They want $95 for it, though.  I'm sure you could do it
yourself alot cheaper.

Yet another possibility is to have both display cards and two (or
more) monitors.  I've seen this done by stores.

Which card is more popular?  Well, everyone I know has the color
graphics card.  The only reason to get the monochrome card is for its
excellent character resolution.  I would imagine this means it's
mostly used by businesses.

/Dick Gillmann

----------------------

Date:  4 Aug 1982 (Wednesday) 1646-EDT
From: ODELL at LLL-MFE
Subject: Turtle Graphics
To:   info-pc at USC-ISIB

I have enjoyed having my IBM Personal Computer for about two months.
I work at NMFECC at LLNL and they keep me so busy at work that I
seldom have time to develop new programs.  When I do have time I use
NETWORK CONSULTING's version of UCSD PASCAL.  I also use the pc to
connect to the computers here at work.  If anyone has a turtle
graphics system available I would like to know about it.

End of Info-PC Digest