[net.micro.pc] INFO-PC 8/13/82

glennw (08/20/82)

>From uucp Thu Aug 19 03:21:49 1982
>From uucps Thu Aug 19 03:13:35 1982 remote from mhuxa
>From uucp Thu Aug 19 03:02:20 1982 remote from mhuxt
>From uucp Thu Aug 19 02:54:04 1982 remote from eagle
>From floyd!cmcl2!philabs!sdcsvax!vicki Thu Aug 19 02:43:29 1982 remote from harpo
Date: Wed Aug 18 23:29:33 1982
To: philabs!cmcl2!floyd!harpo!eagle!mhuxt!mhuxa!mhuxh!glennw

Date: 13 Aug 1982 2033-PDT
From: INFO-PC <INFO-PC at USC-ISIB>
Subject: Info-PC Digest V1 #6
To: Info-PC: ;

Info-PC Digest         Friday, 13 August 1982       Volume 1 : Issue 6

Today's Topics:

                           Graphics Package
                     Amdek Color Monitor (3 msgs)
                   Monochrome Display & Color Card
                         IBM PC Info (2 msgs)

Date: 12 Aug 1982 0906-EDT
From: COHEN at RUTGERS
Subject: Graphics Package
To: INFO-PC at USC-ISIB

There is a company in Oregon called GSS (Graphics Software Systems, I
think) that is developing a software package for micros/minis for the
GKS graphics system which they believe will replace the Siggraph Core
standard.  Their system is written in Microsoft FORTRAN, and will also
include Textronix emulators.  They are closely aligned with Digital
Research, but will also support PC-DOS, and other OS's.

	Howard Cohen

------------------------------

Date: 12 Aug 1982 1328-PDT
From: KERICKSEN at USC-ECL
Subject: Amdek Color Monitor
To:   Info-PC at ISIB

I understand that the Amdek Color Monitor II does not support dark
gray.  I called Amdek and they said that it is IBM's fault.  Anyone
have this experience?  What would be a good color monitor for both
color and text entry?

Thanks,

Karen

------------------------------

Date: 12 Aug 1982 2004-PDT
From: Billy <BRACKENRIDGE at USC-ISIB>
Subject: Re: Amdek Color Monitor
To: INFO-PC

I have an Amdek Color II RGB monitor. I was not particularly pleased
with it when I bought it, but it seemed to be the only game in town.

The IBM Color Monitor Board has has four signal lines: Red, Green,
Blue, and Intensity. This is supposed to provide 16 colors. The
interesting cases arise when all the colors are either off or on. If
R,G&B are all off you still get black regardless of the state of the
intensity bit. If R,G&B are all on you get Grey or White depending on
the intensity bit.

The essential issue with RGB vs. other modes of color is: How do you
write programs that are attractive on all forms of monitor?  Or should
one optimize for the specific monitor one owns?  Some of the free
software I've seen has some really putrid color combinations.  Either
the folks that wrote them are color blind or they had their TVs out of
align.

In general I think color is a waste.  High resolution is far more
important than color, but color seems to be winning the battle in the
market place. I'd love to do a system with windows etc. but
perceptions are that only secretaries deal with text and executives
deal with color bar and pie charts.

The best thing I can find to do with color is to make menus easier to
read.  Of course this means you only get 40 characters per line, but I
view that as a plus in human factors analysis.  I think color is
useful in a menu to enhance speed reading mode. If the key words are
highlighted in a different color the experienced user does not have to
read the entire menu.

------------------------------

Date: 13 Aug 1982 2007-PDT
From: Dick Gillmann
Sender: INFO-PC at USC-ISIB
To: KERICKSEN at USC-ECL, Info-PC

One unusual fact about RGB monitors is that they continue to display color
in Black & White mode.  The Technical Reference Manual says that in B&W
mode "color burst is not enabled."  This apparently does not apply to the
RGB output.  A color TV or composite color monitor will show B&W but an
RGB monitor will show colors according to the attribute set.  (An
attribute of zero is blue.)

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 13 Aug 82 09:55:47 EDT
From: englund at NBS-VMS
Subject: Monochrome Display & Color Card

I recently saw a reference here to an article in PC magazine about a
way to connect the IBM Monochrome display to the color/graphics card,
so I read the article and mentioned it to an IBM PC dealer.  This is
the response I got:

	"IBM has received indication that some users are
	 trying to use the IBM color/graphics card with the
	 IBM Monochrome Display.

	 The IBM Monochrome Display is designed to run at
	 18.4 KHz horizontal frequency.  The color/graphics
	 card is designed to run at 15.75 KHz horizontal
	 frequency.

	 IBM therefore recommends that the Monochrome Display
	 NOT be connected to the color/graphics adapter card
	 since it may cause the high voltage power supply within
	 the Monochrome Display to exceed its operating specifications
	 This frequently causes damage and failure to the
	 Monochrome Display AND VOIDS THE IBM WARRANTY."

I thought that this may interest the users who have expressed interest
in using the color/graphics adapter with the Monochrome Display.  It
is always a good idea to discuss modifications you plan to make with
your dealer.  The dealer is the primary source of customer support for
the PC.

------------------------------

Date: 12 Aug 1982 2140-PDT
From: KUSHNER at SRI-AI
Subject: IBM PC Info
To: info-pc at USC-ISIB, info-micro at BRL, arpanet-bboards at MIT-ML

Has anyone got any information on the following IBM Personal Computer
products:

	Qunix by Quantum Software
	Quantum Software's C and Pascal compilers
	APSTEK's 256K RAM board #AIM-256-01B
	IBM's Pascal compiler
	IBM's version of UCSD's Pascal system
	IBM's Macro assembler

and any other C and Pascal compilers and Unix-like operating systems
for the IBM PC.

------------------------------

Date: 13 Aug 1982  9:14:16 EDT (Friday)
From: Martin Schoffstall <schoff at MINET-FRKEM>
Subject: Re: IBM PC info
To: KUSHNER at Sri-Ai

I have access to the PASCAL compiler (IBM) so if you have questions
concerning something in the documentation I can find out.  I haven't
used it yet but from what I have been told it is a three pass compiler
using three disks.

schoff at bbn-unix

End of Info-PC Digest

-------