[net.micro.pc] Info-PC Digest V2 #5

INFO-PC@USC-ISIB (01/29/83)

From:  Dick Gillmann <INFO-PC@USC-ISIB>

Info-PC Digest       Saturday, 29 January 1983      Volume 2 : Issue 5

Today's Topics:

                         PC-DOS File Formats
                       8087 Compilers (2 msgs)
                        IBM Keyboard Interface
                            Aparrat Boards
                                Kermit
                           Generic Printer
                        Mailing List Programs
                        IDS Microprism Printer

Date: 24 Jan 83 08:19:32 PST (Mon)
From: npois!inuxd!stevens@Berkeley
Subject: PC-DOS File Formats
To: INFO-PC@ISIB

The PC-DOS documentation describes the formats of three types of
files:

	- ASCII files
		includes .BAT (batch command script) files
	- .COM (memory image) files
	- .EXE (relocatable program) files

Three other file types are mentioned, but their formats are never
described:

	- .OBJ (object) files
	- .LIB (object library) files
	- .HEX files (mentioned in conjunction with .EXE files)

Does anyone know anything about these last three file formats?  I'm
just curious about the .HEX format, but information on the .OBJ and
.LIB formats would be extremely useful.

-- Scott Stevens
-- npois!inuxd!stevens@berkeley

------------------------------

From: ucscc!psych36@Berkeley
Date: 16 Jan 83 22:08:50 PST (Sun)
Subject: 8087 Compilers
To: gillmann@usc-isib

Does anyone make a C and/or FORTRAN compiler that knows how to use the
8087?

Michael M. Cohen

------------------------------

Date: 24 Jan 1983 14:03 PST
From: MTHoward at PARC-MAXC
Subject: Re: 8087 Compilers
To: gillmann@usc-isib

Michael,

Although I don't know of anyone selling these right now, I can give
you some information.

The people who write the Lattice C compiler (distributed by Lifeboat)
say that they are just about ready to release a new version which will
generate 8087 code.  I would check with Lifeboat for a date.  It
should be any day.

Microsoft is finishing their beta test of their own Fortran.  The one
that they originally released was purchased from outside.  You may
have heard that it is REALLY BAD.  Anyway, they will be releasing new
versions of their FORTRAN 77 and Pascal compilers for MS-DOS.  Both of
these will generate 8087 code.

		Michael T. Howard
		MTHoward at PARC-MAXC

------------------------------

Date:  26 January 1983 00:36 est
From:  Hess.Unicorn at MIT-MULTICS
Subject:  IBM Keyboard Interface
To:  info-pc at USC-ISIB

A friend claims to have some type of interface information and
schematics from hooking up a P.C. keyboard to some other sorts of
systems.  If anybody's interested, drop me a note; I'll see about
getting the information from him.

------------------------------

Date: 26 Jan 1983 10:18:34 EST (Wednesday)
From: Martin Schoffstall <schoff at minet-obl>
Subject: Aparrat Boards
To: info-pc at isib

Has anyone bought one of the Aparrat boards (64K + RS232 for $199)?
Do they come socketed so that you can place your own RAM on them?
Has anyone tried using them with some of the ramdisk software?

thanks

schoff at bbn-unix

------------------------------

Date: Wed 26 Jan 83 06:17:14-PST
From: Frank da Cruz <G.DACRUZ@SU-SCORE.ARPA>
Subject: Kermit
To: Info-PC@USC-ISIB.ARPA

Kermit for the IBM PC will be announced to this list shortly.  We
really didn't want to let go of it until it was ready.  I'd recommend
avoidance of any version of Kermit-86 now in circulation.

   - Frank da Cruz, Columbia U.

------------------------------

Date: 27 Jan 1983 1249-PST
Subject: Generic Printer
From: Dick Gillmann <GILLMANN@USC-ISIB>
To: Info-PC

Is there an EXACT substitute for the IBM matrix printer?  I know it's
basically an Epson, but which one?  Also, is there a generic
equivalent of the printer cable?

/Dick

------------------------------

Date: 27 Jan 1983 1501-PST
From: Dick Gillmann <GILLMANN@USC-ISIB>
To: info-pc

What's the best PC program for maintaining a mailing list?  I want to
keep not only names and addresses, but phone numbers and information
about each person as well.  Is it better to use a general purpose DBMS
instead?

/Dick

------------------------------

Date: 29 January 1983  09:54-EST (Saturday)
From: James Mazer <GREN.MAZE @ MIT-OZ>
Subject: IDS Microprism Printer
To:   info-micro @ mc, info-pc @ isib, info-cpm @ mc

I am trying to get an IDS-Microprism to work with the IBM-PC.  The
text and fancy fonts seem to work (though not perfectly), but no
matter what I do, the printer refuses to enter the graphics mode.

Has anyone out there had any experience with the Microprism?  It looks
like a great printer, but if the graphics can't be easily used, it
might not be worth the money.

Please respond to me, as I`m not on all the lists

/Jamie

End of Info-PC Digest
-------