[net.micro.pc] Info-PC Digest V2 #13

INFO-PC@USC-ISIB (03/07/83)

From:  Dick Gillmann <INFO-PC@USC-ISIB>

Info-PC Digest         Sunday, 6 March 1983        Volume 2 : Issue 13

Today's Topics:

                        Two New Free Programs
                         Multi-User OS Query
             Stopping Type-Ahead in UCSD Pascal (2 msgs)
                             MUMPS Query
                               Ethernet

Date: Thu 3 Mar 83 21:56:20-PST
From: Jim Celoni S.J. <CSL.JLH.Celoni@SU-SCORE.ARPA>
Subject: Two New Free Programs
To: Info-PC@USC-ISIB.ARPA

I am donating two new programs to the Info-PC library:

CONVERT.BAS	Converts binary to and from ASCII .HEX files
NEWBELL.HEX	.HEX version of NEWBELL.COM
NEWBELL.ASM	Source for NEWBELL.COM

CONVERT gives you instructions if you ask.

I have NEWBELL in my autoexec file; it shortens the bell (by
intercepting some ROM code) until the next boot.  You can change the
bell's length and frequency--either redefine NOTE and NOTE_LENGTH or
change one or two bytes (inside instructions) in the .HEX or .COM
file.  If you find the DOS bell as annoying as I do, here's relief.
(Sorry--I can't change Basic's ^G.)

    +j

------------------------------

Date:  4 Mar 1983 1057-EST
From: Willie Lim <WLIM@MIT-XX>
Subject: Multi-User OS Query
To: info-pc@USC-ISIB

In the situation where more than one user has to share a PC (e.g. in a
home), it often happens that two (or more) users want simultaneous
access to the PC (e.g. one wants to do word-processing and the other
wants to "hack").  Since more than one RS232 port is available on the
PC, it seems natural to think of a multi-user PC.  Two points need to
be noted:

1) The OS must support this.  Presumably something like UNIX or a CPM-86
   descendant (e.g. MPM-86 (?)) will do.
2) The 8088 processor must be powerful enough for this.

Is such a system feasible?  If so, does such a system exist?  How
difficult is it to hack up such a system?

My feeling is that such a system is doable.  I am not sure about its
performance being acceptable for normal home use.  This seems to call
for some discussion on INFO-PC.

Willie

------------------------------

Date: 25 Feb 83 22:32:19-PST (Fri)
To: info-pc@isib
From: pur-ee!uiucdcs!reinke@Berkeley.arpa
Subject: Stopping Type-Ahead in UCSD Pascal

Does anyone know how to empty the type-ahead "queue?"  I have an
interactive Pascal program, and I want to flush the buffer between
prompts so the program only takes input when a prompt is on the
screen.  I have been unable to find any way to do this from the UCSD
system.  Any attempts to reset or rewrite the interactive file "input"
fails to flush the type-ahead.  I also tried using unitread instead of
read, since the manual claimed unitread was unbuffered, but I got the
same results.

The only thing I can think of at this point is an assembler routine to
clear the buffer -- but I don't know where the buffer is located.
This approach sounds like a real pain anyway.

If anyone out there knows of a solution to this problem, or can even
suggest an approach that may work, I would appreciate hearing about
it.  Thanks in advance.

------------------------------

Date: 26 Feb 83 16:28:09-PST (Sat)
To: info-pc@isib
From: pur-ee!uiucdcs!reinke@Berkeley.arpa
Subject: Re: Stopping Type-Ahead in UCSD Pascal

Doing a "unitclear(2)" seems to clear the keyboard buffer ("2" refers
to SYSTERM:, screen and keyboard, "no echoes").  I had previously
tried unitclear(1), which refers to screen and keyboard w/ echoes. I
am unsure what the difference is between these two I/O units is, but
it works with "2", so I won't complain.  Thanks for the information,
Bob.

------------------------------

Date: 26 Feb 83 16:28:33-PST (Sat)
To: info-pc@isib
From: pur-ee!uiucdcs!spackman@Berkeley.arpa
Subject: MUMPS Query

Does anyone know if there exists a MUMPS (M.G.H. Multiprogramming
System) system for the PC?  I have a version for the Apple II and have
heard of systems for several computers, but not the PC.  Any medical
types out there have an answer?  For those who still think I'm talking
about a childhood disease of the parotids, let me explain that MUMPS
is a programming language and operating system originally designed for
medical applications.

------------------------------

Date:     5 Mar 83 18:36:07-EST (Sat)
From: Dave Farber <farber@udel-relay>
Subject: Ethernet
To: info-pc@isib
Cc: info-micro@brl

I know there are many out there who are struggling with bringing up
IBM PCs on Local Area Networks (LANs). I have several hooked to our
research labs Ethernet via 3Com boards. I am interested in having
communications set up with the Vaxs and integrating the PCs into our
network world.

Our configuration is two DEC VAX-11/780s, a VAX-11/750, a PDP-11/70, a
PDP-11/50 and several PDP-11/34s serving as print and file and
terminal servers hooked up using the 3com Ethernet (for the time
being).

If there are others who would like to trade war stories, let's have at
it.

Dave

End of Info-PC Digest

-------