[net.micro.pc] Info-IBMPC Digest V2 #23

INFO-IBMPC@USC-ISIB (04/17/83)

From:  Dick Gillmann <INFO-IBMPC@USC-ISIB>

Info-IBMPC Digest       Sunday, 17 April 1983      Volume 2 : Issue 23

Today's Topics:

                                 Lisp
                        Sony 3" Disk (2 msgs)
                  Z-80 Cards and CP/M Compatibility
                           DOS 2.0 (3 msgs)
                  UCSD P-System File Transfer Query
                              New XENIX
                    Line Numbering Utility Program
                              BASCOM Bug
                             PROLOG Query
                    Time Manager on Colour Display

Date: Sun 10 Apr 83 16:57:17-PST
From: Larry Ruzzo <Ruzzo@WASHINGTON.ARPA>
Subject: Lisp
To: info-ibmpc@USC-ISIB.ARPA
cc: wanuga@MIT-XX.ARPA, brackenridge@USC-ISIB.ARPA, csd.harkness@SU-SCORE.ARPA

There's a Lisp system available from:

    Integral Quality
    P.O. Box 31970
    Seattle, WA 98103
    (206) 527-2918

An ad in the April Byte, p106, gives a few details.  I haven't used
it, but I know the author, and have previewed a big chunk of the
manual.  It looks like a very professionally designed and executed
system.

------------------------------

Date: Mon 11 Apr 83 14:23:58-PST
From: John Palevich <G.TANG@SU-SCORE.ARPA>
Subject: Sony 3" Disk Query
To: INFO-IBMPC@USC-ISIB.ARPA

How do I interface my 3" Sony disks to DOS 1.1?  Does anybody have any
sample device drivers lying around?  I'm having an awful time with the
(lack of) documentation on this.

Jack Palevich

------------------------------

Date: 11 Apr 1983 1745-PST
Subject: Re: Sony 3" Disk Query
From: Billy <BRACKENRIDGE@USC-ISIB>
To: John Palevich <G.TANG@SU-SCORE>
cc: info-ibmpc

Try calling Flagstaff Engineering. They specialize in hooking all sorts
of drives to the IBM.

Dennis White
Flagstaff Engineering
2820 West Darleen
Flagstaff, AZ 86001
(602) 774-3588

------------------------------

Date: 11 Apr 83 18:01 PST
From: Ciccarelli.PA@PARC-MAXC.ARPA
Subject: Re: Z-80 Cards and CP/M Compatibility
To: Info-IBMPC@USC-ISIB.ARPA

See the April 1983 issue of Byte, page 290, for a review of two Z-80
boards for the IBM PC, allowing CP/M-80 software to be used on the PC.
The products reviewed are the Xedex "Baby Blue" and the Byad "DS1".

/John

------------------------------

Date: 11 Apr 83 3:24:58-EST (Mon)
To: Info-IBMPC @ Usc-Isib
From: decvax!cca!ima!johnl @ Ucb-Vax
Subject: Re: DOS 2.2!?

No PC-DOS 2.0 because they're waiting for DOS 2.2, huh?  I think your
Computerland salesman is telling you a story (a common problem
reported by Computerland customers from all over).

I went down to the Boston IBM Product Center last week and bought a
copy of PC-DOS 2.0 off the shelf.  Since the product center is the
only place in town that has recent PC hardware such as the PC XT in
stock, I'd expect them to get new software quickly, too.  I haven't
used 2.0 very much, but it appears to work perfectly adequately.

John Levine, decvax!yale-co!jrl, ucbvax!cbosgd!ima!johnl,
{research|alice|rabbit|floyd|amd70}!ima!johnl

------------------------------

Date: 13 April 1983 17:15 +0500
From: schoff @ DDN1
To: info-ibmpc @ isib
Subject: Software Under DOS 2.0
cc: haines @ bbn

I have run the following software under DOS 2.0 and I have not
had any problems to date:

     Mince - Mark of the Unicorn
     PC/Intercomm - Mark of the Unicorn
     Lattice C - Lattice Corp

Also with my MonteCarlo card there was supplied a RAM-disk,
unbelievably (to me at least) this worked also.

schoff at bbnu

------------------------------

Date: 14 Apr 83 22:32:34-PST (Thu)
To: Info-IBMPC @ Usc-Isib
From: pur-ee!uiucdcs!donchin @ Ucb-Vax
Subject: 1-2-3 Under DOS 2.0

Lotus admits that 1-2-3 doesn't work under 2.0 and plans to have a
update out soon, which will cost 5 or 10 dollars if upgrading.

------------------------------

Date: 14 Apr 83 01:09:03 EST
From: WEAVER@CMU-CS-C
Subject: UCSD P-System File Transfer Query
To: arpanet-bboards@MIT-MC
Remailed-To: Info-IBMPC

I am looking for pointers to any software which can be used to
transfer files between an IBM-PC (running the UCSD P-system) and other
mini/mainframes, (esp. Dec20 <Tops>, Vax <VMS or Unix>, PDP <Rsts>,
etc).

Any info will be greatly appreciated.

                        --Kevin Weaver

REPLY:
        WEAVER@cmu-cs-c.arpa    ARPA
        KW1B@cmccte             DecNet - BITnet

------------------------------

Date: 15 Apr 83 9:26:35-PST (Fri)
To: Info-IBMPC @ Usc-Isib
From: decvax!duke!unc!tucc!billb @ Ucb-Vax
Subject: New XENIX

In the April issue of Mini-Micro Systems (P.8) is an announcement of
an upcoming (1 month) release of LANtech's Unetics package:

   XENIX (for the IBM PC)
   PC-DOS emulator
   ** $100 **

The company is apparently also working up UNET, a Unix local-area
networking scheme with Ethernet and Omninet hardware.  The article
only gave Dallas as the address of LANtech.

Anyone have any more information, opinions, addresses?

------------------------------

Date: 16 April 1983 14:23 +0500
From: schoff @ DDN1
To: info-ibmpc @ isib
Subject: Line Numbering Utility Program

I have been using the Lattice C compiler in conjunction with MINCE.
One of the difficulties I have encountered is that the compiler gives
me error messages by line number and I can't find a way to get MINCE
to either place me at a line in the file or tell me what line I am in.
If anyone knows a way let me know.

I have therefore written a little utility that numbers my programs.  I
have found this utility to be useful in other areas also.  If anyone
would like this utility written in Lattice C they may have it (it will
save you 15 minutes to write it).

[NUMBER.C is now in the INFO-IBMPC Free Program Library - Ed.]

schoff at bbnu

PS  I bet you can tell that my formative years were spent in Fortran!

------------------------------

Date: 16 Apr 83 21:01:35-EST (Sat)
From: Mfarber@UDel-Relay
Subject: BASCOM Bug
To: Info-IBMPC@isif

Programs that work perfectly with the Basic interpreter often end up
with OV (overflow) errors during compilation.  It happens irregularly;
I can compile the program once, and the next time, with the line
exactly the same, it produces a non-warning error.  The line refers to
arrays and works correctly in the interpreter.  I was wondering if
anybody has encountered the same problem and may know of a patch.

-Manny

------------------------------

Date: 16 Apr 1983 2037-PST
From: RMILLER at SRI-NIC
Subject: PROLOG Query
To: INFO-IBMPC at USC-ISIB

Does anyone know of an implementation of PROLOG, written in reasonably
portable C?  I use the QUNIX OS on my IBM, and am looking for
something that might have been put up on another machine.  I'd
appreciate any pointers.

Rich Miller

------------------------------

Date: 16 Apr 83 14:52:13-PST (Sat)
To: Info-IBMPC @ Usc-Isib
From: decvax!utzoo!utcsrgv!peterr @ Ucb-Vax
Subject: Time Manager on Colour Display

I have a copy of IBM's Time Manager (written by Microsoft) and it
generally treats the colour display card with the care required,
writing to it only during retrace times so as not to cause display
glitches.  However, the updated-every-second time is written without
regard to retrace, causing a continuously noisy display.  Does anyone
have a fix for this?  I've spoken to someone who claims they have a
program that writes to colour memory at arbitrary times, with no
glitching; can someone confirm this?  This must mean that there are at
least two versions of the colour card.

p. rowley, U. Toronto   decvax!utzoo!utcsrgv!peterr (@Berkeley for ARPA)

End of Info-IBMPC Digest
-------