[net.micro.pc] Unprotection

dap1@ihlpf.UUCP (11/18/83)

#N:ihlpf:17100020:000:430
ihlpf!dap1    Nov 17 23:35:00 1983

I am getting parity errors whenever I run programs which require large amounts
of memory.  I have a "ramtest" program which fairly thoroughly tests any
section of memory but there is an error in it and it is PROTECTED so I can't
use it.  A while back somebody put up the way to unprotect a BASIC program
and I really need to know in a desparate way.  Could someone please, please
repost this?  Thanks a lot.

Darrell Plank
BTL-IH

BRACKENRIDGE%USC-ISIB@sri-unix.UUCP (11/20/83)

From:  Billy <BRACKENRIDGE@USC-ISIB>

Here is the original message on unprotecting a Basic program:
Date: 16 Dec 1982 1842-PST
Subject: Reading Protected BASIC Files
From: Billy <BRACKENRIDGE@USC-ISIB>
To: info-pc

IBM PC basic has a form of protecting BASIC files. If you use the P
option to the save command files will be saved in an encrypted form.
When such a program is loaded such commands as Peek, Poke and List are
disabled. Of course Basic can be run under DEBUG and all bets on
security are off, but it is hardly worth the effort for some silly
game program.

Someone in the Toronto user's group found a much simpler way of
breaking this protection scheme. Peter Norton further refined it, and
here it is:

Run Basic or Basica and enter:

BSAVE "TROJAN.HRS",1124,1

You need do this only once to create this file and can use the file
later as often as you want.  Now load in your protected program with
the LOAD command.  You will not be able to list this file.  Enter:

BLOAD "TROJAN.HRS"

Your file is now unprotected and can be listed or modified and saved in
ASCII form.

I assume this location has moved since basic 2.0 came out. Perhaps the Bload
trap has even been plugged. Perhaps someone can update us on this protection
scheme. I haven't used any Basic programs since I first got my PC.
-------
-------