[net.micro.pc] displaywriter good, or what?

dgary@ecsvax.UUCP (06/05/84)

I recently posted somee comments favorable to the IBM Displaywriter.
These comments were based on some experience and a lot of very
faborably comments by word processing (wp) users who consider it to
be the best things since pickles.  Also, I know some computer people
(like Lawrence Muhlbaier here at Duke - ecsvax!doc to you) whose
judgment I respect and who really like the Displaywriter.

Well, I received a letter so anti-Displaywriter (from someone else
whose judgment I respect) that I thought in fairness (and with
the writer's permission) I'd post this differing view:

>Date:     2 Jun 84 06:24:32 EDT  (Sat)
>From:     Miriam Clifford <dmimi@ecsvax>
>Subject:  Re:  displaywriter??!!!
>To:       D. Gary Grady <dgary@ecsvax>
>Full-Name: Miriam Clifford
>Location: Duke University Medical Center
>Address:  {decvax,ihnp4,akau}!mcnc!ecsvax!dmimi
>Alternate-Path: duke!unc!ecsvax!dmimi
>
>I see you were working last night too.  I'm downloading the source (150K) of
>mdm130 to Ed's machine, where I plan to put the modem on his z80 board.  The
>mtu has an excellent communication package, but it does not do any binary
>files--ascii only.  It also lacks the bells and whistles of mdm7xx.
>Therefore--
>
>I'll get PC-WRITE from you, though configuring it for the z100 probably will
>be grim.  Do you have the source?  If so it may be possible.  Actually
>there are a couple of smallish editers for the z100 that use the function
>keys well, etc., that are very nice for program writing.  They are the
>simple kind without the bells and whistles.  If I had to buy an editer
>I probably would get FinalWord, though I'
>d (sorry about that) like to see one called Palantir.  Meanwhile, wordstar
>is quite bearable with the function keys set.
>
>Back to the displaywriter.  wp operators have usually used only whatever
>they started on, and one gets to like whatever one is used to.  I don't
>think that that is a reason to recommend a poor machine.  (Incidentally,
>there are several other problems with the displaywriter that I can't
>think of right now--I stay as far from it as I can.)  I know two
>people, word processors, who used the CPT as their first machine, can
>see its several problems, and who HATE the Displaywriter.  They are
>now using it regularly so it isn't that they haven't learned to use
>it yet.
>
>One thing I find, is that the menus get in the way of what I'm
>trying to do--I have to go, probably to seveveral menus, to do the
>editing that I need for the next step.  Another problem (I think
>I'm right about this) is that I can't read one file into another
>--I think at all--but at best I can't do it easily.  I boiler plate
>all the time.
>
>Another baddy for wp people, is that it won't print several copies
>of something at one command--i.e., print 100 copies of x.  And the
>connection of the printer to  more than one machine is awful--instead
>of having the machines establish their own queue for what is to print
>when according to when it was entered (obviously having the priority
>changeable by the operator) as the CPT does, the displaywriter is
>under the control of one machine, with it's operator having to
>permit the other(s) to enter their material on the queue for printing.
>You can imagine how much two wp people (who may not love each other)
>like that power struggle.
>
>There's more---
>
>Mimi

So, as always, Caveat Emptor.  Your turn, Doc!

Best,
D Gary Grady
Duke University Computation Center, Durham, NC  27706
(919) 684-4146
USENET:  {decvax,ihnp4,akgua,etc.}!mcnc!ecsvax!dgary