[net.micro.pc] PC .COM and .EXE file formats?

derek@sask.UUCP (Derek Andrew) (06/12/84)

I have the task of writing a loader for .EXE and .COM files.  Basically
I have to simulate what DOS does to load these files.  Well, I cannot
seem to locate a reference anywhere which tells me what these files
look like.  Can anyone help?  Thanks.

--
Derek Andrew, ACS, U of Saskatchewan, Saskatoon Saskatchewan, Canada, S7N 0W0
{ihnp4 | utah-cs | utcsrgv | alberta}!sask!derek  306-343-2638  0900-1630 CST

dgary@ecsvax.UUCP (06/13/84)

>From: derek@sask.UUCP Tue Jun 12 04:19:58 1984
>I have the task of writing a loader for .EXE and .COM files.  Basically
>I have to simulate what DOS does to load these files.  Well, I cannot
>seem to locate a reference anywhere which tells me what these files
>look like.  Can anyone help?  Thanks.

You must have DOS 2.1 or later.  The format of the .EXE file is
explained in an appendix to the DOS manual in versions 2.0 and before.
You'll find the information you need in the DOS Technical Reference
Manual now.

Make sure you set up a DOS-like program segment prefix, by the way.
Some programs depend on it.

D Gary Grady
Duke University Computation Center, Durham, NC  27706
(919) 684-4146
USENET:  {decvax,ihnp4,akgua,etc.}!mcnc!ecsvax!dgary