[net.micro.pc] Make for IBM-PC

bet@ecsvax.UUCP (06/29/84)

There was in fact a version of make posted to the net recently. I don't have
the article number any longer, but I have the sources, and use it *all* the
time. It is simplified -- no internal variables and such -- but it has
the basic functionality of make, and works. It does take advantage of the
DOS 2.xx PATH capability. If anyone needs the sources, send me mail. If
enough people want it, I might repost it. It is written for DeSmet C,
and is fairly non-portable, due to imbedded assembler. If you want it
but don't have DeSmet C, let me know. We can work something out.

					Bennett Todd
					...{decvax,ihnp4,akgua}!mcnc!ecsvax!bet

guido@mcvax.UUCP (Guido van Rossum) (07/03/84)

I have also saved the (indeed *much* simplified) make, and converted it
to Lattice C.  Since I have no assembler, and have not been able to find out
how to call DOS EXEC from Lattice C (2.04, that is), it writes the commands
to be executed onto a batch file, which must be called later.  But it
works.  If I get some requests, I am willing to post it.

--
	Guido van Rossum, "Stamp Out BASIC" Committee, CWI, Amsterdam
	guido @ mcvax

dgary@ecsvax.UUCP (07/10/84)

<>
>From: guido@mcvax.UUCP (Guido van Rossum) Tue Jul  3 09:12:49 1984
>I have also saved the (indeed *much* simplified) make, and converted it
>to Lattice C.  Since I have no assembler, and have not been able to find out
>how to call DOS EXEC from Lattice C (2.04, that is), it writes the commands
>to be executed onto a batch file, which must be called later.  But it
>works.  If I get some requests, I am willing to post it.
>	Guido van Rossum, "Stamp Out BASIC" Committee, CWI, Amsterdam

With DOS 2.x you can use a pipe to send these batch commands to
COMMAND.COM.  Specifically, you can say:

make ... | command.com

Just make sure the last line make produces is EXIT.  EXIT causes
a subordinate DOS to terminate, but not the main one.

D Gary Grady
Duke University Computation Center, Durham, NC  27706
(919) 684-4146
USENET:  {decvax,ihnp4,akgua,etc.}!mcnc!ecsvax!dgary