[net.micro.pc] WANTED: PC-DOS RAMdisk device driver modifications!

pmg@aplvax.UUCP (08/09/84)

Subject: Need: Modifications for RAM disk device driver.
Newsgroups: net.micro.pc

I am trying to modify the RAMdisk device driver provided,
as an example, by IBM with DOS2.0.  I am trying to create
a 360k byte RAMdisk device driver so that a large data
file (260k bytes) can be moved to RAM.

I have tried modifying a .COM version of the program using
the debugger.  Specifically I have changed:

	sectors/allocation unit		from 1 to 2
	number of directory entries	from 64 to 112
	total number of sectors		from 360 to 720
	media descriptor		from 0fcH to 0fdH

I made these changes in both the table starting at an offset
of 0016H and the table at an offset of 003bH.

After these changes were finishing the system was
rebooted with the device driver defined in config.sys as
appropriate.  The reboot finished succesfully; execution of
chkdsk c: verifies that the 360k byte disk was created;
but whenever I try to copy more than 180k bytes of files to
the RAM disk the system locks up.

Obviously I have done something wrong, but I am running out of ideas.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Please send mail to me and I will post the solution to the net if
there is interest.

Thanks for any help,
Mike
----
P. Michael Guba
...decvax!harpo!seismo!umcp-cs!aplvax!pmg
...rlgvax!cvl!umcp-cs!aplvax!pmg
Newsgroups: Newsgroups: net.micro.pc net.wanted

Newsgroups: Newsgroups: net.micro.pc