[net.micro.pc] PC/AT: Technical Observations

HFISCHER@USC-ECLB.ARPA (08/17/84)

From:  Herm Fischer <HFISCHER@USC-ECLB.ARPA>

       This article discusses  the  PC/AT's  new  keyboard  layout,
       presents	some technical observations on the compatibility of
       PC/AT floppy and	hard disk drives with  previous	 generation
       drives,	identifies  new	 PC  DOS 3.0 commands, and provides
       comments	resulting from scanning	a listing of the new BIOS.

       KEYBOARD	SCREWED	UP AGAIN, DIFFERENTLY

       Jerry Pournelle will still have something to write about.

       The PC/AT keyboard seems	like an	attempt	 to  placate  human
       factors	engineers  who	never  used  a text editor in their
       daily work.  They put enormous  return  and  shift  buttons,
       which  forced  them to move the tilde to	the escape position
       (above the tab),	the PrtSc to  the  top	of  the	 grey  plus
       (which  is now smaller),	and HORRORS, the escape	to the left
       of num lock (which is now sigle width).

       Keytronics will have a field day.  Any user  of	any  editor
       which  intensively uses the escape button will be enormously
       upset, because, unless the user has the hands of	 a  basket-
       ball  player,  reaching a numlock-positioned escape with	the
       right pinkie requires removing the hand from  the  keyboard,
       while  for  the	left pinkie to reach the old position above
       the tab is even possible	for hands on petite women gymnasts.
       Lest  IBM  question what	editor uses the	escape button, with
       vi, which the editor in	Xenix,	advertised  as	IBM's  only
       operating  system  to  take advantage of	the 286's features,
       the escape is used as the most frequent key (more  than	the
       return, if you do lots of correcting and	inserting of text).
       Also, many other	editors, such as EMACS	clones	(now  quite
       popular on the PC) make heavy use of the	escape.

       On the nice side, they added LEDs for caps lock,	 num  lock,
       and  scroll  lock.   And	above the grey minus there is a	new
       key marked System Request (to wake up your multitasking ker-
       nel while Lotus is churning away	forever).

       The keyboard cable  still  has  the  same  plug	and  wiring
       arrangement,  but since the new keyboard	has a faster oscil-
       lator and additional  functionality,  I	doubt  if  previous
       plug-compatible	devices	 will  operate	properly in the	new
       PC/AT (e.g., old	keyboards or Logitech mouse adapters).

       DISK DRIVE INCOMPATIBILITIES

       According to the	new Technical Reference	manual,	disk  drive
       cables have been	redesigned, and	I question whether the $175
       Teac's will be able to fit in without some changes to  their
       interfaces.  The	floppy cables no longer	have separate motor
       enable lines for	each drive; they have a	new  signal  called
       reduced	write,	and  a	drive  select 3	line.  I guess this
       means that you might be able to squeeze	three  of  the	1/3
       height  drives  shown  at  the NCC into the space available,
       given the third select line.

       The hard	disk seems to still have a standard interface,	but
       now  the	 10 Meg	disk's reduced write current line is the 20
       Meg disk's head 3 select	line, and there	are lines for drive
       select  3  and  4 (not present in the old cables).  One will
       have to be careful in buying brand-X 20 Meg disks because of
       the head	select 3 line.

       ASYNC MULTIPLEXOR NEEDED

       The interrupt structure still only provides requests 3 and 4
       for the async ports.  Since this	machine's software promotes
       use of async-connected mice, and	multiple  users,  obviously
       more  than  two	ports  is needed.  It would be dumb to give
       each port a separate interrupt, so I hope somebody builds an
       async  card,  with a single interrupt line, which supports a
       bunch of	UARTs.	I doubt	 if  there  would  be  any  serious
       technical   difficulty  in  writing  either  PCDOS  or  Unix
       handlers	which share an interrupt and poll a bunch of UARTs.
       It certainly would save on interrupt overhead in	a multiuser
       environment (see	my net-note on PC/IX problems at 9600).

       NEW ASYNC UART CHIP

       The Intel 8250 series UART used in the  older  PC  line	has
       been  replaced  with a new National product, the	16450 (said
       to be higher speed on the computer  interfaces).	  Users	 of
       8250  clones  from  foreign  suppliers  have,  in  the past,
       experienced slight differences from Intel's  product  opera-
       tion.   Thus, handler writers should be cautious	of the port
       part change.

       NEW BUS

       Six of the eight	slots can accomodate new  accessory  cards,
       which  have  the	regular	62 pin connector, and in addition a
       supplemental extra 36 pin connector.  The problem,  however,
       is  that	most of	the more recent	accessory cards	do not have
       cutouts which will clear	the additional 36  pin	motherboard
       sockets.	  I  suspect  that  the	reason old async cards (and
       presumably also modem cards) won't work is  due	to  changed
       oscillators and bus timing.

       DOS 3.0 COMMANDS

       There are several new DOS commands in 3.0.  These are:

	 a.  ATTRIB sets or displays a read-only file flag

	 b.  LABEL adds/deletes	or changes volume labels

	 c.  SELECT sets keyboard  layout  and	national  date/time
	     format

	 d.  SHARE installs file  sharing  support  (which  is	not
	     described in the DOS manual)

	 e.  COUNTRY sets national date/time format

	 f.  DEVICE installs a RAM-disk

	 g.  FCBs set number of	file control blocks

       BIOS MODIFICATIONS

       The most	important change to the	BIOS (to my  viewpoint)	 is
       that  the wait loops were all changed to	provide	hooks for a
       multitasking kernel.  The BIOS now accomodates up to 15	Meg
       of  RAM,	 in its	tables,	though I doubt if the >	1 meg stuff
       can be used by anything except RAM disks	and spoolers.

       I quickly read through some of the BIOS code  to	 see  if  I
       could  gain  any	secrets	about forthcoming display controll-
       ers.  Alas, they	still support the  same	 old  graphics	and
       monochrome  cards,  and	there  are not obvious hints of	JR-
       style features or 3270 APA-style	features comming.
-------

jko@ecsvax.UUCP (08/22/84)

Rumor has it that Vectrix of Greensboro, NC is working on a 640 x 400 multi-bit plane 1 million plus color card with fast graphics primitives (arc, box, cube,
rubber band, fill, collision detect for points) built in to ROM.  Because I am
Because I

emory on the PC to be reserved for future graphics
expansion, is it not reasonable to expect that IBM would provide advanced color graphics on the AT, if they foresaw that possibility on a now inferior machine, the PC?

jko@ecsvax.UUCP (08/22/84)

Rumor has it that Vectrix of Greensboro, NC is working on a 640 x 400 multi-
on of such capabilities on a more advanced machine?

jonathan k. ocko
decvax!mcnc!ecsvax!jko
dept. history, north carolina state university

kds@intelca.UUCP (Ken Shoemaker) (08/26/84)

>The Intel 8250 series UART used in the  older  PC  line	has
>been  replaced  with a new National product, the	16450 (said
>to be higher speed on the computer  interfaces).	  Users	 of
>8250  clones  from  foreign  suppliers  have,  in  the past,
>experienced slight differences from Intel's  product  opera-
>tion.   Thus, handler writers should be cautious	of the port
>part change.

No offense, but I think the 8250 is also a National part.  Intel
has a UART called the 8251a, which is kinda close in number, but
quite different in functionality, for what it's worth.
--
Ken Shoemaker, Intel, Santa Clara, Ca.
{pur-ee,hplabs,amd,scgvaxd,dual,idi,omsvax}!intelca!kds

---the above views are personal.  They may not represent those of Intel.