[net.micro.pc] Make for IBM PC

jmsellens@watmath.UUCP (Yup - me again) (09/18/84)

x <- bug killer, because the first line of the message starts with ' '

    From dolphin@uw-beaver (Dolphin Users) Wed Sep  5 23:28:13 1984
    Newsgroups: net.sources
    Subject: Make for PC

    Here is a PUBLIC DOMAIN make for the IBM PC, posted recently to the net;
    I am reposting in the same spirit of generosity demonstrated by its author,
    a widely-known and beloved net figure.  Have fun, and be not concerned if
    you miss it this time: I will be reposting periodically!

Wow!  I'm a widely-known and beloved net figure, eh?  :-)

Ordinarily, I would followup using your name, but it wasn't in the posting
(Dolphin Users gives me the impression that it is some kind of group account).

Please do not refer to my program as "Public Domain".  It is not.  It is
owned by me.  (References on request)

You are obviously engaging in "John-baiting".  Touche'.

Terribly polite of you.  I would appreciate it if you would refrain from
posting it again.

Of course, this is all pointless, because you will just go on doing
whatever you feel like.  And you and I both know that I won't go to
Washington to try and make you agree to my wishes - it would be a
waste of money, regardless of who's right.

As a compromise (he said grasping at straws) would you consider adding
the following at the top of the program?  (Any other copies of my
program that are floating around would also be greatly improved by
the addition of the following comments too!  :-) )

/*
    A very greatly expanded and de-bugged version of this program is also
    available.  The new version attempts to copy all of the functions of the
    UNIX (a trademark of AT&T Bell Labs) 'make' utility, including built-in
    commands, make variables, default rules, '::' definitions, etc.

    For more information
        John Sellens
        c/o 1135 Lansdowne Ave SW
        Calgary, Alberta
        T2S 1A4  Canada
   or for some amount of time jmsellens@watmath.UUCP, or
        107 - 180 Brybeck Cres.
        Kitchener, Ontario
        N2M 5G4  Canada

    The new version is for sale for a reasonable price.
    September, 1984
*/

Actually, would you care add this to your existing net.sources posting?
(The readnews 'c' command would do nicely).

Thank you for your anticipated cooperation.

John Sellens
UUCP:  {decvax|utzoo|ihnp4|allegra|clyde}!watmath!jmsellens
CSNET: jmsellens%watmath@waterloo.csnet
ARPA:  jmsellens%watmath%waterloo.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa

p.s.  Look I'm just a poor student.  I don't write this stuff at work, I
do it on my own time with my own equipment.  Anyone interested in a
further discussion is invited to contact me by mail.
p.p.s  Actually I had toyed with the idea of a poll about whether I am acting
like a jerk :-) - yea or nea votes by mail only please - any significant
response will generate a summary to the net.
p.p.p.s.  74 lines! - is this guy verbose or what?