[net.micro.pc] Everex Display Controller

G.FUSSELL@SU-SCORE.ARPA (09/27/84)

From:  Carl Fussell <G.FUSSELL@SU-SCORE.ARPA>

Does anyone on the list have any information (or better yet, expierence)
with a display controller by Everex?  I am told it handles color or
monochrome, graphics, and has 1 serial and 1 parallel port on it.
I was wondering how well if works and how compatible/incompatible it
is with IBM's controllers.

thanx for any info...
			Carl
-------

Info-IBMPC@USC-ISIB.ARPA (09/28/84)

From:  Info-IBMPC Digest <Info-IBMPC@USC-ISIB.ARPA>

Date: 25 Sep 1984 01:57-EDT
Subject: Everex Display Controller
From: JEWETT@USC-ISI.ARPA
To: g.fussell@SU-SCORE.ARPA
Cc: info-ibmpc@USC-ISIB.ARPA, jewett@USC-ISI.ARPA

I recently purchased a PC, and selected the Everex display
controller based on versatility.  Although I only got a
monochrome monitor, I wanted to be able to run software which
uses the color adapter.  The Everex trade mark for this board is
"The Graphics Edge"--it's advertised in PC World.

I'm a long way from having used all the features of this board,
but here are some initial comments:

  - The color-to-monochrome conversion is really useful, but I
had to tweak the monitor (a Taxan) to keep it in vertical sync
when changing between modes.

  - It's advertised to be compatible with Hercules graphics.  In
fact, the Hercules driver for Framework does work--but I find the
IBM character set easier to read.  Makes a big difference on pie
charts, though.

  - It's got a 132 column mode which is supposed to work with
Lotus.  I can't verify this, but Framework doesn't support it
yet.

  - As usual for most products of this type, the documentation
that comes with it is lousy.

I hope that we'll see some tips from users more experienced with
this board on how to get the most out of it.

Tom Jewett
-------