[net.micro.pc] Lotus on PCjr

Info-IBMPC@USC-ISIB.ARPA (09/28/84)

From:  Info-IBMPC Digest <Info-IBMPC@USC-ISIB.ARPA>

Date:     Sat, 22 Sep 84 9:33:52 EDT
From:     Dave Farber <farber%udel-eecis3.delaware@udel-relay.ARPA>
To:       info-ibmpc@usc-isib.ARPA
Subject:  Lotus on PCjr

My account got mussed up so I'm using my Dad's.

(manny@udel-eevax)

As soon as I got a 128K memory expander for my PCjr, I tried to bring
Lotus 1-2-3 up on it.  Everything worked fine except for one thing:
I couldn't display any graphs; the screen displayed semi-gibberish
instead.

This was due to some hardware incompatibilities between the PC and the
PCjr's color adapters; namely, the ports are different.

So, I looked in the graphics display driver (use IBM1G2.DRV, on the
utility disk) and found the offending code, and replaced it with
code that would use the ROM-BIOS to change display modes.

To make the change (for Lotus 1-A), do the following:

DEBUG GD.DRV    (GD.DRV should be a copy of IBM1G2.DRV)
A 1b7
MOV AX,4
INT 10
[return]
F 1bc 1c9 90	(this replaces the rest of the offensive code with NOP's)

- Manny

If anyone has questions drop me a line.

p.s.

One could also use the extra code space to select the PCjr's palette.

Does anyone out there know any other PCjr tricks, like how to get
Bluebush Chess to work with the PCjr's display?

-------